Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change in medical history after interview

Default Change in medical history after interview

Hi all,

So here's a predicament which I'm unsure of how it may affect my JET application.

I just recently got out of an abusive relationship and found out from my doctor that I contracted Chlamydia. Easily curable, yada yada, but I'm concerned as to how this might affect my position as a prospective JET. Are there be necessary steps to let them know about my change in medical history? Many thanks.

Default Re: Change in medical history after interview

I don't think this is something they need or want to know, lol. one round of antibiotics and its all in the past. they really only need to know about things that are going to affect you living in Japan.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dbw146 View Post
    Hi all,

So here's a predicament which I'm unsure of how it may affect my JET application.

I just recently got out of an abusive relationship and found out from my doctor that I contracted Chlamydia. Easily curable, yada yada, but I'm concerned as to how this might affect my position as a prospective JET. Are there be necessary steps to let them know about my change in medical history? Many thanks.

If you wish to inform your coordinator, just send them an email and explain the situation. These kinds of things happen all the time, and its not a big deal.

Remember that if you are shortlisted, you will be required to get a certificate lf health.

Best of luck,
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

I'd tell them, but I don't know how good it would look to be honest.

On one hand, it's good that you are letting them know, on another, you are implying a lot about your social life with the statement.

Wouldn't a background check upon being shortlisted show that I've been diagnosed and treated? I would think it best to let them know then, unless medical concerns after the interview process don't count for anything.

Also my social life is of no one's concern but my own. These things happen and I don't think this forum is a place for shaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    I'd tell them, but I don't know how good it would look to be honest.

On one hand, it's good that you are letting them know, on another, you are implying a lot about your social life with the statement.
    This is a really shitty statement. Shaming someone for contracting an STD? Nice move bro.

Hey, they've already stated it was because of someone else's fault.

But you can't really say that to an employer, so they'll most likely assume the worse.

Not trying to shame anyone (As I can't speak for their life), it's just logical.

Especially when dealing with a conservative government in regards to a teaching position.
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; February 8th, 2015 at 10:19.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    This is a really shitty statement. Shaming someone for contracting an STD? Nice move bro.
    I thought he was trying to say that maybe someone could quick to judge and (wrongly ) assume that: having an STD = someone who *** (can I say the F word on ITIL ) arounds and can therefore not be trusted. I don't agree to that but can someone somewhere think that way , maybe.

Now a more informed adult would know that it is entirely plausible that your partner maybe didn't know he/she had it or could have simply lied to you about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunjumero View Post
    I thought he was trying to say that maybe someone could quick to judge and (wrongly ) assume that: having an STD = someone who *** (can I say the F word on ITIL ) arounds and can therefore not be trusted.
    Word.

If I was trying to shame someone, it wouldn't be while they are asking for help. Who'd do that?

Wouldn't a background check upon being shortlisted show that I've been diagnosed and treated? I would think it best to let them know then, unless medical concerns after the interview process don't count for anything.

Also my social life is of no one's concern but my own. These things happen and I don't think this forum is a place for shaming.
    The fbi check is 100% criminal. Medical history does not show up on it. The only place it might show up is when you go in for your certificate of health check up (Depending on your doctor)
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

These things happen and I don't think this forum is a place for shaming.
    Unless they're fat. Then let the shaming commence.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Unless they're fat. Then let the shaming commence.

That's our secret Moth, we are always shaming.

Seriously though, why would you call them and tell them about this? if you got the flu would you tell them? strep throat? after a week its all going to be history. I think you have to draw the line somewhere for the sake of privacy/dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmagnolia View Post
    Seriously though, why would you call them and tell them about this? if you got the flu would you tell them? strep throat? after a week its all going to be history. I think you have to draw the line somewhere for the sake of privacy/dignity.
    I understand the point of view that certain things should be none of your employer and future employers business., and i agree with the sentiment 100%.

However, we are talking about the japanese government which asks all applicants to disclose all medications and conditions on the self assment medical form.

The main worry is lack of disclosure. if a person fails to mention a past medical condition(no matter how trivial.it may seem) on their application, and it comes up in the full health screening required for the certificate of health, then the applicant runs the risk of being disqualified. The disqualification would not be because of the condition, but rather because the applicant tried to hide it.

Privacy is a luxury when working for the japanese government unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    I understand the point of view that certain things should be none of your employer and future employers business., and i agree with the sentiment 100%.

However, we are talking about the japanese government which asks all applicants to disclose all medications and conditions on the self assment medical form.

The main worry is lack of disclosure. if a person fails to mention a past medical condition(no matter how trivial.it may seem) on their application, and it comes up in the full health screening required for the certificate of health, then the applicant runs the risk of being disqualified. The disqualification would not be because of the condition, but rather because the applicant tried to hide it.

Privacy is a luxury when working for the japanese government unfortunately.
    This is technically true, but a line has to be drawn. If you catch a cold or sprain your ankle, do you tell them? This particular affliction is not a big deal, in my opinion. A more dire situation (herpes or HIV, for example) would require disclosure, but this is basically as serious as a cold. Can you really disclose EVERYTHING?
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    This is technically true, but a line has to be drawn. If you catch a cold or sprain your ankle, do you tell them? This particular affliction is not a big deal, in my opinion. A more dire situation (herpes or HIV, for example) would require disclosure, but this is basically as serious as a cold. Can you really disclose EVERYTHING?
    I thought if you had to go a physician or receive a prescription for it it had to be disclosed.

That was how (I think) the line was drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunjumero View Post
    I thought if you had to go a physician or receive a prescription for it it had to be disclosed.

That was how (I think) the line was drawn.
    That is correct.

EDIT: By the way, miamicoordinator, I was actually asking you, not trying to prove a point with rhetorical questions. I basically got my answer, but I was wondering if there were more specific guidelines of what they are expecting to be disclosed and what they aren't. Doctor visit and prescription makes sense. Gracias.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; February 9th, 2015 at 03:12.
    車庫 B1F

So, according to those guidelines: get a cold during this time of the year and no medication needed, no need to report anything. But get a sinus infection,very similar sickness level but medication needed since its an infection and you have to report it. Even if your doctor just calls the rx in?
    I'm asking because I almost never get colds, but a sinus infection is common as I reported on my medical forms. I want to know if I might need to report anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post

EDIT: By the way, miamicoordinator, I was actually asking you, not trying to prove a point with rhetorical questions. I basically got my answer, but I was wondering if there were more specific guidelines of what they are expecting to be disclosed and what they aren't. Doctor visit and prescription makes sense. Gracias.
    Yep, thats what i figured.
    medical things are always a cause of much confusion every year because there are so many things that could go wrong, and of course there huge difference between medical privacy in the U.S. compared to japan. Unfortunately even specific guidelines from tokyo can be Too vague for comfort.