Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: People with offspring

Default People with offspring

Hello, squirrel here! I wanted to start a thread for us applicants/spouses who have children; so we can discuss questions, concerns, and ideas for getting kids ready for a (potential) big move.
    I just ask that we keep it civil, i.e. no one tell us were crazy people for trying to drag a family to Japan. we are not the first nor will we be the last.
    Thank you.

I have two little boys (6 & 3). they love to watch Ghibli movies, Dragon ball Z in Japanese. we've been slowly throwing out all but the most beloved toys, which hasn't bothered them too much. I need to get them to the dentist and pediatrician soon. I am absolutely dreading going on a 12 hour (or longer) plane ride with them by myself.

even if my husband doesn't get into JET, we've decided to make a life change and move very far from where we are now. this way we can get rid of all our crap even if JET doesn't work out.
    my only concern with moving to Japan is people complaining about my boys being loud, they are constantly running and yelling at home, but they are (usually) very well behaved in public.

*baby squirrel tax*
    bittytb.png

Default Re: People with offspring

One of my ALT colleagues took her two boys, though they were a little older. I think they were like 9 and 12. I'll ask her if she'll let me give you her e-mail address if you'd like.
    車庫 B1F

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Squirrel, i have two jets currently in japan(married couple)
    that took their two children. Ill forward your husband their info so you can ask them questions directly.

They are having a wonderful time, and have their kids in japanese schools.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    Squirrel, i have two jets currently in japan(married couple)
    that took their two children. Ill forward your husband their info so you can ask them questions directly.

They are having a wonderful time, and have their kids in japanese schools.
    I have always wondered how that works. Kids that don't know the language the school is teaching in are doomed to fail everything until they learn the language right? I mean English is one class and the rest are taught in Japanese I assume.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by haitch40 View Post
    I have always wondered how that works. Kids that don't know the language the school is teaching in are doomed to fail everything until they learn the language right? I mean English is one class and the rest are taught in Japanese I assume.
    Children learn languages remarkably quickly. The will struggle at first, but within a year, they will be speaking japanese like a native. It is amazing.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

I don't have children, but I do intend to take a spouse if I get the job. He's sort of like a child? xP

With the plane, if you have a tablet or a computer that you can put games, stories, movies, etc. on, that might be useful. Also, the plane I took to Japan had a sort of built in streaming service with a lot of movies and TV shows to watch.
    Last edited by Kurisuchan; February 9th, 2015 at 04:39.

its been 10 years since I've been on a plane. do they have wi-fi now? luckily I have a two tablets, a nexus and a kindle fire.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Depends on the plane, but most have WiFi (Even if you gotta pay a fee), though streaming isn't permitted if memory serves right.

Some have screens in the back of the seats where you can listen to music, play games and watch TV.

Edit :

I had a kid behind me on my last flight (after I changed seats with his mother, so the family could seat together).

I could have sworn he was kicking the screen by how much force he was apply to my chair for the majority of the flight.

Either that or he was really enthusiastic about the touch screen. I politely smiled, what with kids being kids, but it wasn't exactly pleasant.
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; February 9th, 2015 at 04:44.

Any long-haul plane service will generally have in flight entertainment; that means games, tv shows, movies, music - easily enough for hours of entertainment. A lot of the movies are generally new releases as well. Get some good headphones that are comfortable and you're good to go .

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Depends on the plane, but most have WiFi (Even if you gotta pay a fee), though streaming isn't permitted if memory serves right.

Some have screens in the back of the seats where you can listen to music, play games and watch TV.
    This is what I meant by streaming. I would advise putting movies and games directly onto the tablet's memory.

Also, I didn't realize planes had wifi. I figured it wouldn't be allowed in the same way that you're not supposed to receive any texts/messages on your phone during a flight. I've only been on one once, so I don't know a lot about them lol.

There's services like GoGo:

http://www.gogoair.com

Depending on the flight and company they might charge you for it.

On my flight to DC, all I had to do was answer a questionnaire

On my flight to NYC, all they offered for free was messaging to those with T Mobile accounts.
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; February 9th, 2015 at 04:51.

I'm trying to find a way to turn DVDs into digital copies. I found a program called handbrake that says that's what it does but I haven't used it yet. I'd hate to buy movies on iTunes that I already own.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmagnolia View Post
    I'm trying to find a way to turn DVDs into digital copies. I found a program called handbrake that says that's what it does but I haven't used it yet. I'd hate to buy movies on iTunes that I already own.
    Some DVDs come with electronic copies for download when you buy them. Any of your DVDs say that on the front? Might be easier than trying to find a program that can get around a rip block that some DVDs have.

There are ways to do it, but we aren't legally allowed to mention any.

(What's wrong with bringing some DVDs to Japan? I understand if it's about space, but it shouldn't be that hard to bring a few in a case.)

It seems like Wifi is way more common on domestic flights. My last trans-pacific was in August, and there still wasn't wifi. Airlines will typically have that info on their sites, so once you get your flight info, you'll be able to find out.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; February 9th, 2015 at 05:10.
    車庫 B1F

I was thinking more on the flight. normally I would just play them on the laptop, but hubby will have that with him. I'm not to concerned about it. were brining most dvds in zipper cd case and just tossing the plastic cases.

Just knock the kids out with Gravol; problem solved.

Seriously, though, having them on Japan time right from the start can help with adjusting to the time difference.

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    Children learn languages remarkably quickly. The will struggle at first, but within a year, they will be speaking japanese like a native. It is amazing.
    Since they are that young, they will learn exceptionally fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Handbrake is a perfect program for burning DVDs and converting them into a format that other devices (such as iPods etc) can recognise. I've used it before and it works a charm.

Awesome! I'll definitely give it a try. i just want to have two or three of their favorite movies on my tablet or hell even my iPod just in case of emergencies (like a 6 hour layover or flight delays)