Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black hair in Japan

Default Black hair in Japan

Not sure if this goes in the Lounge or about Japan. The mods are free to move it where they see fit ^_^

So, I have this problem. I'm African American and have relaxed hair. I've been researching the few blogs that are out there so far about black women in Japan that talk about hair care, but I've only heard of one salon in Tokyo that specializes in black hair. There's a Japanese style of relaxer, but I've heard it's incompatible with relaxed American hair (and I have relaxed hair a couple inches past my shoulders at this point).

I've considered relaxing it myself but I don't want to gamble with chemically burning my hair off with no experience. I'm considering asking someone to help me.

I wanted to learn about people's experiences or if they knew about other black JETs that have gone through this struggle.

Thanks

Default Re: Black hair in Japan

The black ALTs I've known best just let things go natural, and started that process before coming. I've seen and met a few that had relaxed hair, but I have no idea how they handled it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Most of the black ALT's in my prefecture are guys and have shaved heads. The one girl has the "natural look". Sorry I couldn't be more help. I think finding hair dressers for people of African descent outside of Tokyo might be really tough (even then).
    Last edited by johnny; February 9th, 2015 at 07:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

If you can order your brand off Amazon, see if it's available on Amazon.co.jp or Rakuten. You might be able to get it shipped internationally pretty cheap from Amazon.com too. Otherwise, bring a bunch with you and get more if you go home over any breaks etc.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    If you can order your brand off Amazon, see if it's available on Amazon.co.jp or Rakuten. You might be able to get it shipped internationally pretty cheap from Amazon.com too. Otherwise, bring a bunch with you and get more if you go home over any breaks etc.
    Wouldn't the liquid rule apply? (When flying)

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    That only applies to carry-on. Not checked luggage.

Edit: ooh, I haven't checked, but the foreign buyers' club has hair products too.
    Last edited by johnny; February 9th, 2015 at 09:19.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Not so much the liquid rule, but TSA might confiscate a bunch of aerosols. They don't give a shit about bottles of shampoo, or hot sauce, or pretty much anything else in a bottle. Although I'd make sure the bottles are all sealed and wrapped up in case they get cracked or leak all over everything in the suitcase.

Customs might have issues, but it isn't likely as long as its in your suitcase and not narcotic.

Do you think it would be unheard of to bring my own hair products to a salon and show them how to apply it (with my broken Japanese or with the help of a translator or better yet finding an English-speaking hair stylist)? I'd be willing to pay extra if needed.

Surviving in Japan has been a useful site for me since coming. Here is a hair care article they have for people of African descent.

4 Tips to Maintain Black Hair While Living in Japan | Surviving in Japan: (without much Japanese)

As for your question, maybe?
    Last edited by johnny; February 9th, 2015 at 11:15.

Eh, I just figured they'd have the same reaction fast food's have to changing your order.

Never been in Japan, so what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    people of African descent.
    This is the whitest thing you have ever said
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

This is the whitest thing you have ever said
    I just want to be polite and inviting to a new poster who has a good question.
    Last edited by johnny; February 9th, 2015 at 11:29.

Quote Originally Posted by ichigo View Post
    Do you think it would be unheard of to bring my own hair products to a salon and show them how to apply it (with my broken Japanese or with the help of a translator or better yet finding an English-speaking hair stylist)? I'd be willing to pay extra if needed.
    This is a truly awful idea. You'd be better off having an ALT do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    This is a truly awful idea. You'd be better off having an ALT do it.
    I figured it would be a fiasco. I'm also strongly leaning towards asking for help from ALTs in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Surviving in Japan has been a useful site for me since coming. Here is a hair care article they have for people of African descent.

4 Tips to Maintain Black Hair While Living in Japan | Surviving in Japan: (without much Japanese)
    Thanks! The page is helpful, and this site in general seems very useful.

Or just go home once a year for a cut and to get to relaxed and deal with it the rest of the year.
    Black women usually get a lot of crap for having natural hair here, (same as in America I guess.) Curly haired people in general since few Japanese have naturally curly hair and most have to have it permed.
    Expect to be scolded about your hair at least a few times. :/

?

Quote Originally Posted by Penguee View Post
    Or just go home once a year for a cut and to get to relaxed and deal with it the rest of the year.
    Black women usually get a lot of crap for having natural hair here, (same as in America I guess.) Curly haired people in general since few Japanese have naturally curly hair and most have to have it permed.
    I've always been warned that my hair may break out if I don't relax the new growth every 2 months or so (because it's so thick). Hopefully by maintaining my permed hair I won't get too much criticism, but I do tend to style my hair wavy so who knows? I don't want to go natural though- that's a whole other transition that I wouldn't want to deal with in addition to the whole living in a foreign country thing.

just Grace Jones it.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Black women usually get a lot of crap for having natural hair here, (same as in America I guess.)
    wat

Curly haired people in general since few Japanese have naturally curly hair and most have to have it permed.
    Sure, but I've known a few exceptions...

wat

Most J-people I know are very curious about black people's natural hair and generally just wanna touch it, in my experience. Admittedly, I've not known any black female ALTs well, but the male black ALTs I've known were never "scolded" about their hair, and they all kept it natural.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.