Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrible interview, still got into JET?

Default Terrible interview, still got into JET?

Hola everyone!

There seems to be a few (the minority) of us who were recently interviewed who aren't feeling too great about our overall performance. Speaking from my own experience, it did not go as well as I would have hoped in a number of ways e.g. awkward mock lesson, terrible Japanese portion, and MANY MORE! And I'm very aware we are all adults (some more than others) and living in the fantasy of "maybe it wasn't so bad" isn't very adult-like. However, to alleviate some of the pain we are feeling, does anyone care to share stories of terrible interviews where you or somebody you know performed at a subpar level and still got short-listed or even alternate?

Also for those of you who had such wonderful interviews (I'm not bitter, I swear), this won't really apply to you.

Default Re: Terrible interview, still got into JET?

I vomited all over the interviewers due to nerves, dropped my loaded gun on the floor, revealed that I assassinated Franz Ferdinand; and I still got into JET.
    Last edited by OtherPulse; February 10th, 2015 at 01:43.

I can't really say I know too much about the interviews of people I've met, but I've been associated with PLENTY of ALTs whom I could not possibly see having been eloquent or charming at any point in their lives. Maaaaybe they somehow pulled it all together for their interviews, but some of the folks I've met have just made me scratch my head thinking, "How did they not catch you?" I'm sure SOME people do get in despite their interview performance.

Judging simply by your grammar and tone, you are more well-adjusted and smarter than many people in the program. That's a fact. However, that fact is irrelevant to whether or not you get in.
    車庫 B1F

There's every chance your "terrible" interview didn't seem as bad to them as it did to you so I wouldn't assume the worst just yet.

Mine was a bit stunted and awkward but I think a fairly inventive answer to a question about current affairs Nipside got me in.

Lol I'm glad you started this thread because as time goes on, the more I begin to fixate and nitpick on stuff that did not go perfectly. I feel really good about how I presented myself, but there were some well-spoken responses that weren't 'awesome' and some that I reached for and I keep going 'dang, if only I had/hadn't said this!' I know best policy is probably to let it go, live my life and continue with everything as normal, JET out of the picture for now, but man! It's so hard, I'm like stuck in post-interview hell haha.

Cringe worthy moment: I tried opening my wallet to get out my ID, got some money stuck in the zipper and struggled hard for a good two minutes in front of the program coordinator and the rest of the panel before I got to say anything. It was so awkward >_< I made an... interesting first impression, haha. "That one girl that can't open a wallet." -____-

That and other things keep me cringing, so I'm also very curious to see if there are/were JETs that felt like their interview sucked yet were pleasantly surprised in April.
    Last edited by ichigo; February 10th, 2015 at 03:04. Reason: added more

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    Judging simply by your grammar and tone, you are more well-adjusted and smarter than many people in the program. That's a fact. However, that fact is irrelevant to whether or not you get in.
    There's that ITIL love again. Thanks for the kind words, but you're right. They're irrelevant to those interviewers.

Quote Originally Posted by ichigo View Post
    Cringe worthy moment: I tried opening my wallet to get out my ID, got some money stuck in the zipper and struggled hard for a good two minutes in front of the program coordinator and the rest of the panel before I got to say anything. It was so awkward >_< I made an... interesting first impression, haha. "That one girl that can't open a wallet." -____-

That and other things keep me cringing, so I'm also very curious to see if there are/were JETs that felt like their interview sucked yet were pleasantly surprised in April.
    The thoughts that must have been running through their minds... I think everyone had a "wtf is wrong with me" moment during their interview. If you didn't, congrats you are a functional robot.

Your panel took your paperwork/I.D.? In NY, the ex-JET in the waiting area took our stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Mine was a bit stunted and awkward but I think a fairly inventive answer to a question about current affairs Nipside got me in.
    Did their reactions tell you anything? Any eyebrow raising, vigorous nodding, etc.?

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Lee, if you end up as a short lister I'm going to mess with you so hard about all of these insecurities.

In all seriousness, you likely have no idea how your interview went. I understand wanting some closure, but all this thread is going to do is make you more obsessively analyse your interview and compare yourself to other people.

There's that ITIL love.

People cope with situations differently. What might make someone more paranoid might put another at ease.

Different strokes and whatnot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    I've never been "sigged" before, someone teased me once saying they would, but it didn't happen.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

The romantic horse knows what she's talking about.

This thread is merely to ease the minds of those who think they don't have a shot in hell anymore because they didn't perform well. By no means should this feed their neuroticism about the whole thing for the next two months.
    This is just like how the application stage went. You may obsess for a hot second, but eventually you move on to whatever else is going on in your life like senior year for some.

Personally, I just hate ambiguity of it all. Must be that instant gratification mindset all us young folk have.

I love how you put "if" zol. It's like fuel to the fire of my insecurities.

Edit: Like Puddin said, it just acts as coping mechanism for most (and maybe me).
    Last edited by hiddenlee22; February 10th, 2015 at 04:21. Reason: Puddin

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    Lol I'm glad you started this thread because as time goes on, the more I begin to fixate and nitpick on stuff that did not go perfectly. I feel really good about how I presented myself, but there were some well-spoken responses that weren't 'awesome' and some that I reached for and I keep going 'dang, if only I had/hadn't said this!' I know best policy is probably to let it go, live my life and continue with everything as normal, JET out of the picture for now, but man! It's so hard, I'm like stuck in post-interview hell haha.
    Hahaha, I'm feeling almost the exact same way. I felt good about how it went in general after the interview, but the more I dwell on how it went, the more stuff I start to nitpick.. I just want to get it out of my head and wait peacefully!

Eh fair enough, I'd just recommend caution before one thing leads to another and suddenly you had the worst interview ever. You all seem like clever cupcakes, so don't stress out so much.

I had a stupidly awkward moment (though it was mostly awkward in my head) where at the end, the panel stood up to see me out and I panicked on whether or not I should shake their hands, which made me freeze in my tracks and look at them, which made the kind Japanese man say, "Oh!" and head for the door to open it for me, which made me lunge forward to get to it before him so it wouldn't seem like that'd been what I was expecting them to do for me. Needless to say, I didn't shake their hands, but repeated a hurried thanks and goodbye and ran out of the room. Walked down the hallway kicking myself.

Also, on my Japanese test (and yes, I know it's just bonus points) there was a picture of a man and woman doing housework/preparing food and I had to role-play dialogue, but in my nervousness ALL my vocab flew out the window and all I said was the Japanese equivalent of, "Honey, do you like the stew?" "Yes, you are very good at cooking." Since then, however, the two characters have been talking up a goddamn storm in my mind, especially while I'm trying to fall asleep and all of my regrets come to revisit me.

I think if you REALLY screwed it up you could knock yourself from short list to alternate (or, I supposed from alternate to rejected) but I wouldn't worry too much.

There are plenty of really awkward, flat out unqualified people who make it onto JET.

If you stumbled on a question or said something a little weird or dropped your water bottle it isn't going to knock you out.

Quote Originally Posted by blik View Post

Also, on my Japanese test (and yes, I know it's just bonus points) there was a picture of a man and woman doing housework/preparing food and I had to role-play dialogue, but in my nervousness ALL my vocab flew out the window and all I said was the Japanese equivalent of, "Honey, do you like the stew?" "Yes, you are very good at cooking." Since then, however, the two characters have been talking up a goddamn storm in my mind, especially while I'm trying to fall asleep and all of my regrets come to revisit me.
    Haha oh my lord thinking about this test makes me laugh so much. I had a picture of a mom/sick kid and my interviewer wanted me to be the mom. There was a picture of a hospital I asked "Byouin? Byouin desu ka?" a couple times but of course they wanted more so in broken Japanese I go 'Do you need a hospital?' and she kind of laughed and went 'Yes, I do!' But I should have just been like 'You're sick! Let's go to the hospital' and the more I think of it I'm like, jeez that was such a simple question lol.

I know the Japanese doesn't really 'count', but I am just loving the amount of people who totally blanked on that section. I'm hoping/thinking they take that into account hahaha.

My interview felt very generic. Overall i left with a sense of having done well, but simply not being as great as i would have wanted. I'd give myself the benefit of the doubt and say im a 50/50 for getting it.

With that in mind, and given thats how it seems some of you feel, i would recommend focusing on backup plans. It isnt your first choice, obviously, but could ease your mind and keep you busy in the mean-time. If you end up with no offer/wait-listed, you have a few job apps ready and out. If you happen to get in, everything is gravy trains with biscuit wheels.

Like a relationship where you are taking a break, but plan to get back together after your SO has their crazy fling in <insert location>. Just keep yourself busy and do some catharsis.

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    I think if you REALLY screwed it up you could knock yourself from short list to alternate (or, I supposed from alternate to rejected) but I wouldn't worry too much.
    I don't think anyone here REALLY screwed up (or at least will tell everyone) I say it was cringeworthy because it didn't go as I had hoped, but that isn't to say it was god-awful and I shouldn't have bothered to show up.

Just keep the mindset there are plenty of weirdos out there who let their freak flags fly during interviews or boring people who showed zero personality. You, at the minimum, beat them out.
    Last edited by hiddenlee22; February 10th, 2015 at 06:00.

Ok, well I know a bit about what I'm talking about considering I have interviewed people for JET and participated on the program...

I'm trying to be nice here to you guys who are worrying so much. You don't need to worry unless you really messed it up.