Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bringing money to Japan

Default Bringing money to Japan

How did you guys do it? I'll have a good chunk saved up that I wanna bring over. Travelers check? Bank transfer after I open up an account there? Just bring a huge wad of cash? I don't know how any of this stuff works haha. I've heard Visa debit/credit cards from home work most of the time to start with the transition, right?

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

From what I've heard, visas work but not everywhere as there's places that don't deal with credit cards.

I've been somewhat curious about this as well. I just figured I'd deal with it when the time comes.

I'd bring a substantial amount of cash, although you can take money out of your home bank account at international atms (easy to find in Tokyo and big cities).

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

What's a good chunk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    What's a good chunk?

?

I just brought it all in cash.
    Possibly not the best idea, but Japan is pretty safe and I didn't feel like dealing with ATMs and crap (plus my bank account back home doesn't let me use the debit card internationally).

I just brought my debit card. I hadta call 'em to let 'em know I was gonna be in Japan for a while. The exchange rate is favorable right now and if you have a decent bank (USAA--I cannot recommend them highly enough; you don't have to be military), they don't charge any kind of fee to pull money out in a different currency. I can use it any place that accepts credit cards (definitely not everywhere in Japan).

That all said, bringing cash is probably fine, too, as long as it's not enough to get customs feeling antsy, and as long as you aren't the sort of person who is prone to losing large amounts of cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I brought ~1000 dollars worth of yen (10 man), but I didn't have to pay key money or anything (was an exchange student so had cheap dorming). I'd bring more if you have a super rural placement. But yeah it's pretty easy to get money from home unless you are really in the boonies.

Taking money out of a Yubin ATM (the post office) is also a nice option. They don't charge you a fee but your bank may. I usually carry around about $300 on me, (never been robbed or anything, dropped my wallet in Tokyo once and all the money came back to me) and you could always then take out more as needed.

7-11 ATMs will accept your debit card. They're in basically every city.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    7-11 ATMs will accept your debit card. They're in basically every CITY.
    that's the important bit.

PO ATMs are more widespread, but terrible hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Does anyone know what the withdrawal fees on the 7-11 ATMs are?

108en.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I brought about 1 Man. The rest of the money I kept in my Canadian account if I needed it. I didn't end up needing it at all.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    I brought about 1 Man. The rest of the money I kept in my Canadian account if I needed it. I didn't end up needing it at all.
    I would venture to guess that your experience is rather atypical amongst JETs.

????? 1man? I spent a good chunk of change just at Tokyo orientation. Bring a wallet full of cash and a credit card.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I come from a working class family. I needed to economize.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

How ghastly.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I would venture to guess that your experience is rather atypical amongst JETs.
    Shit, I'm brain dead. I meant 10 man.

I spent 1 man over the first two nights on drinks.
    Last edited by johnny; February 11th, 2015 at 22:05.

Oh LOL that makes a bit moar sense. Still, I'd say you're lucky amongst incoming JETs. I brought over 25man and spend most of it pretty quickly. I'm not the most thrifty dude to come down the pike, but I'm not bankin', either. If I'd only brought over a thousand bucks, I'd probably have been hurtin'.
    Last edited by word; February 11th, 2015 at 22:08.