Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 95

Thread: Bringing money to Japan

  1. #21

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    Thanks, this is helpful. I don't like carrying money on me just because I'm really paranoid I'll lose it lol, so I'd probably just rely on debit and take like 10man cash before getting set up and then withdrawing internationally as I'd need it? Anyone from the US have Chase and did this?

    Also I'm curious, did most of you guys have to pay key money and/or advance on rent and if you did was it straight up cash?

  2. #22
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    ESID.

    No key money here. Pretty much everything in Japan is cash, though; key money certainly is.

    Chase bank would probably work but sucks in comparison to USAA--you should switch to USAA (anyone who plans on doing anything internationally should). I suspect you could use their debit cards in most 7/11 ATMs, tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  3. #23
    read half. react. BifCarbet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    north of the strait
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    I had to pay some big expenses before my first paycheck. Car insurance, various expenses related to setting up my residence, almost a month of groceries, blah blah blah.
    You will almost surely need a couple thousand bucks to get you to that first paycheck.

    It doesn't matter what US bank you use. If you have a debit card, you can get your cash. You might have to call your bank to let them know you're in Japan, but you can do that. You can use Citi ATMs in big cities, post office ATMS, 7 Bank at the 7-11 ATMs, and probably other convenience stores now too. There are Citi and 7-11 ATMs right there at the customs exit at Narita Airport. If you arrive with zero Japanese cash, you can still survive.
    車庫 B1F

  4. #24
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    It doesn't matter what US bank you use.
    Well, yanno. So long as you're made of money and you don't give a flying f*ck about fees or exchange rates... yeah; I agree completely. It doesn't matter what US bank you use.

    Edit: Also, make sure you can live a few days without food. However many days it takes for your bank to authorize international use of your debit card, anyway.
    Last edited by word; February 12th, 2015 at 00:55.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  5. #25
    read half. react. BifCarbet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    north of the strait
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    I've never had a problem with that, so I didn't know that happens. That would suck. Let them know in advance.
    I guess I can't imagine moving to a whole different part of the world and having your survival or well-being be contingent on ATM fees.
    Anyway, there is a way to get your money directly, for those who are worried.
    車庫 B1F

  6. #26
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    I've never had a problem with that, so I didn't know that happens. That would suck. Let them know in advance.
    Hmm, you obviously don't have a great deal of experience with international travel.

    Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    I guess I can't imagine moving to a whole different part of the world and having your survival or well-being be contingent on ATM fees.
    I didn't claim otherwise, and it's pathetically disingenuous of you to imply as much. I merely meant to make it clear that reliance on certain banks may involve expenses that might easily be avoided.

    Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    Anyway, there is a way to get your money directly, for those who are worried.
    I don't disagree with this. Hell, there's always BitCoin.

    LOL
    Last edited by word; February 12th, 2015 at 01:08.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    Cool. Makes me feel better as someone who doesn't prefer carrying cash... I guess if I ended up in this boonies I might have to reevaluate that lifestyle though. I'll look into USAA if I found out Chase has like crazy fees or something because yeah that's definitely something I'd be a little worried about. Thanks.

    Also, Japanese banks? How difficult are they to set up? I'm assuming JET would do a direct deposit type of deal, but maybe I'd be wrong to assume that haha.

  8. #28
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    I'll look into USAA if I found out Chase has like crazy fees or something because yeah that's definitely something I'd be a little worried about. Thanks.
    It's not necessarily the fees that you ought to worry about. Western Union makes a killing and a half off of dweebs who don't know any better, rolling into US airports looking to exchange a few hundred bucks. Their exchange rates amount to nothing less than outright robbery.

    Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    Also, Japanese banks? How difficult are they to set up? I'm assuming JET would do a direct deposit type of deal, but maybe I'd be wrong to assume that haha.
    Easy, relatively speaking. Your supervisor will almost certainly help you. Every JET I've evar known has had direct deposit into a Japan-based bank account that their supervisor has helped them set up.
    Last edited by word; February 12th, 2015 at 01:15.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  9. #29
    read half. react. BifCarbet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    north of the strait
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Hmm, you obviously don't have a great deal of experience with international travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    pathetically disingenuous
    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Well, yanno. So long as you're made of money and you don't give a flying f*ck about fees or exchange rates... yeah; I agree completely. It doesn't matter what US bank you use.

    Edit: Also, make sure you can live a few days without food. However many days it takes for your bank to authorize international use of your debit card, anyway.
    Take it easy. I wasn't talking to you.

    I was saying something I thought was relevant. I switched from one bank to another because the second promised me I could use their ATMs with no charge when I was in college in Tokyo, and I was charged two fees every time. There's no point in switching from one bank to another, and yes, you can use ATMs in Japan. We are, after all, talking about the first month, when a new ALT won't have a Japanese account waiting for them.

    I was providing information, and a little bit of commentary. Sorry if it seemed rude. It wasn't meant to be. Take a chill pill.

    NOTE: I'll show you my old passport, if you'd like.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; February 12th, 2015 at 05:02.
    車庫 B1F

  10. #30
    Member nostos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    92

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    To add my own experience...

    I did have to pay key money - nearly 2k of it.
    My salary is direct deposited (as is anything else - I get child benefits and when I'm reimbursed for travel expenses), and most of my bills are automatically withdrawn as well. The bills that aren't are just because I'd have to take time off to go to the bank and set it up (the bank is only open while I'm at work).
    My supervisor helped me set up my bank account with the prefectural bank. I doubt you'd have to do it alone. I think the biggest thing for that was that they wanted kanji on the form, so my supervisor wrote it out in pencil and I just traced. Other than that, it wasn't a difficult process at all, just lengthy.

  11. #31
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    The amount of money you need depends on you and your situation. I guess I just didn't have a lot of big expenses.

    The fact is that you're really not going to know how much money you absolutely need until you get your placement. I would prepare to have access to as much as $4,500 USD though.

    Even I had access to an additional $2K in my Canadian account. I just ended up using most of that to pay off student debt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  12. #32
    The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    When you say 2k, you mean $2,000? That's a ***** lot.

    (Meant the key money by the way)
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; February 12th, 2015 at 07:25.

  13. #33
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    I had access to about $3,000 in total. I was told from many sources to have at least $5,000 just in case, but given what my pred told me, I thought I had more than enough.

    I didn't have to pay key money, get a car or furnish my apartment though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    With the way ALTs live, if you need $5000 for startup costs you're being screwed by someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  15. #35
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,770

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    bring 20man in cash. that'll be enough for your start up costs and daily life until your first paycheck. Bring a credit/debit card (anything with the visa symbol on it will do) in case of emergencies/you need a big chunk of cash to buy a car/pay keymoney/bribe police after an incident with a hooker and a champagne bottle. If you do need extra money dont be a fool about it and only get 100 dollars out and then repeat this multiple times. ATM service charges might bite you in the ass so just get a load out in one go to be safe. If you decide to bring travellers cheques because you are worried about being beaten and robbed in the airport bathrooms before you land in the safe haven of Japan then get them cashed in at the hotel during tokyo orientation because chances are your little inaka bank wont have any idea what to do with them.
    Last edited by Ini; February 12th, 2015 at 08:17.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    chances are your little inaka bank wont have any idea what to do with them.
    werd
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  17. #37
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    With the way ALTs live, if you need $5000 for startup costs you're being screwed by someone.
    Is it any different if you're on of the Jets placed in Tokyo?

    I remember reading here on ITIL that some of them were told to bring an astounding amount of money to secure apartment.

    What would it cost with all fees to acquire and furnish an apartment in Tokyo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  18. #38
    The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    If by astounding you mean something like $10-15k. Then I'll be okay with living in an empty apartment, thank you.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    I'd recommend two things:

    (1) Check with your local bank - see if they do foreign currency orders. A lot of Credit Unions don't do them, but some major banks will do them pretty much at cost for members. You can save a lot of money using a bank in your home country to change money instead of a Travelex/Airport exchange place. AAA also does them, but beware - they give you the 2000 yen notes (the equivalent of $20, but be prepared to be treated like you're spending $2 bills.) AAA also only does sets of $100, and their turnaround time (for me) was about a week and a half. I got my yen the day before I flew out. I also went to my credit union and called by credit card company and had them allow international transactions from Japan. (Visa doesn't normally block Japan, but some countries - like Canada - a blocked by default.) If you can, have your bank/credit card company forward any card changes or statements to your Japanese address as well. Travelers Checks are an artifact of the past and are way more trouble than they're worth. (If you bring cash, don't change all of it. You might find yourself wanting $200 or so in reserve for if/when you travel back to home, in case your plastic stops working...)

    (2) Check with your predecessor and see how much they had to pay for insurance etc when they arrived. My first day expenses were about 4-5 man. That included starting up a bank account (need a first deposit...) car registration/insurance (for a year,) parking spot for a year (through the landlord,) a first grocery shop, a Suica recharge (forgot my Suica had like 53 yen left on it when I left.) I brought close to 10 man. By my first paycheck (August 2Xth) I had 1 man left. I never used my US credit or debit cards to take money out either. I wasn't particularly stingy either (virtue of the inaka.) Some people will need a lot more, some a lot less. There were a couple ALTs in my prefecture who were living on rice alone by the middle of August, while others were talking about buying new cars. Budget the best you can.

    (Tokyo JETs had to get their own apartment, so they'll need 2x-10x more for startup costs. Price of living in the big city.)

  20. #40

    Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Is it any different if you're on of the Jets placed in Tokyo?

    I remember reading here on ITIL that some of them were told to bring an astounding amount of money to secure apartment.

    What would it cost with all fees to acquire and furnish an apartment in Tokyo?
    It was pretty well established that they were being screwed, iirc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •