Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bringing money to Japan

Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Is it any different if you're on of the Jets placed in Tokyo?

I remember reading here on ITIL that some of them were told to bring an astounding amount of money to secure apartment.

What would it cost with all fees to acquire and furnish an apartment in Tokyo?
    My dad's work buddy's daughter got put in one of the new Tokyo placements. Those folks had to secure their own apartments, furnish everything....
    Luckily her parents have an apartment in Tokyo, so she's able to stay there for her duration on JET, but seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosse View Post
    My dad's work buddy's daughter got put in one of the new Tokyo placements. Those folks had to secure their own apartments, furnish everything....
    Luckily her parents have an apartment in Tokyo, so she's able to stay there for her duration on JET, but seriously.
    Suddenly I can't wait for all of the "is my pred trying to screw me?" posts.

"He wants 20 man for his Naruto furniture and bedding. Is this what it really costs?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Suddenly I can't wait for all of the "is my pred trying to screw me?" posts.

"He wants 20 man for his Naruto furniture and bedding. Is this what it really costs?"
    If someone tried to get me to pay anything for anime furniture...I would first laugh, and then refuse to pay anything for the monstrosities.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosse View Post
    If someone tried to get me to pay anything for anime furniture...I would first laugh, and then refuse to pay anything for the monstrosities.
    I'd ask them for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    I'd ask them for money.
    Way to go Zol! Reparations!

So the standard amongst JETS is to try and sell the newbie their old shit for hundreds of dollars?! I've seen a couple of other mentions of this.

In Korea (sorry, it's all I got to compare with ) it is typical to leave the replacement the basics/things owned by the school and whatever bigger ticket items they couldn't sell. Decent human beings leave money for the last month's bills and saints give the apartment a thorough cleaning.

Everyone who is American shouldn't worry too much about bringing a lot of money with them. (Obviously don't bring dollars unless you want to pay to convert it here then, I guess.)
    If you're really that worried about carrying around a lot of money then wear it on one of those stupid neck belts and keep it on your person. (But you'll look like an idiot. No one is going to rob you except maybe other Americans.)
    A better option would be traveler's cheques (although yes, convert them in Tokyo) or a bank transfer once you get here. You can use your credit or debit card, and just pull money out of an ATM. I recommend for daily living expenses pulling out 3 man en (less than $300) at a time. (7-11 and Post Office ATMs have English menus so you'll be okay. Also, visa is more often accepted over MasterCard.
    No one is going to rob you unless you go drinking in Kabukicho or something. Some salary men carry a thousand on their person at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguee View Post
    Post Office ATMs have English menus so you'll be okay.
    Some. Not all.

No one is going to rob you unless you go drinking in Kabukicho or something. Some salary men carry a thousand on their person at all times.
    The first night at Keio all the JETs were warned to stay away from Kabukicho. After the ceremony, you could see the herd stampeding straight there.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

Miami coordinator recommended between 2000-2500 USD. I brought 1920 (exchange rates etc made it less than 2000). It got me through the first few months of living (granted theres not much to do here so I didn't have anything to spend it on except overpriced imported foods). Didn't even touch my work income until the 3rd month. But depending on your placement, I'd say 2000 is safe enough. I brought it in cash. Converted it in America. Kept it in my backpack that I carried around until I get to Keio plaza. Depending on the people you stay with, I doubt anyone will look through your stuff if it's in the corner and fully zipped up. Then again you never know. So make sure you keep it in the lower parts of the bag lol.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Some. Not all.
    I've never seen a post office ATM without an English menu. Aren't they standardized?

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
    So make sure you keep it in the lower parts of the bag lol.
    Or use locks. Sure baggage locks are tiny and barely functional, but it's about sending a message.

It's what I did before I could trust my roommates. Not that they probably noticed, as they rarely had a chance to get close to my bags.

It's what I did before I could trust my roommates. Not that they probably noticed, as they rarely had a chance to get close to my bags.
    Before you close lined them and took everything of theirs, right? Terrifying!

I've never seen a post office ATM without an English menu. Aren't they standardized?
    I have no idea. Been over a year and ahalf since I was in one, but it had no language options that I saw. (neither menu option nor physical button)

I also live in Inakatown, JP.

U da real mvp.

It was pretty well established that they were being screwed, iirc.
    For those that missed that adventure, they're being sent to a government contracted realtor to find apartments. And quite a few of them have found that they've ended up paying more key money and rent than other tenants in the same style apartment in the same building. They also have to purchase their own furnishings, although that's not entirely unexpected, unless you got a furnished apartment that suddenly was empty... As well as other new position issues (like COs not filling out US tax exemption paperwork so the US JETs have to pay local inhabitants tax, etc.) Others had worse issues, but those were more like Black BoE/COs than anything else (issues like commuting stipends not being paid out, arbitrary commuting rules - i.e. no trains, only buses etc.)

EDIT: Yuubin ATMs usually have an English button, but some of the older ones only will let you do a withdrawl in English. Not a problem unless you end up using JPost as a bank. (Fuck that, get 7 Bank instead... Although COs usually end up using local/prefectural or ag/JA banks.)
    Last edited by webstaa; February 12th, 2015 at 10:51.

Banned

I brought 25 man notes with me that I exchanged in the us at a foreign currency exchange booth in the mall. I had trouble getting any banks to give me exchange rates so I couldn't really shop around, but I got a reasonable exchange anyway.
    No key money, and although I'm fairly miserly, August was a busy month full of welcome parties and sayonara parties and festivals. My startup cash still lasted me through to my second paycheck, but only just. No car here though.

I have no idea. Been over a year and ahalf since I was in one, but it had no language options that I saw. (neither menu option nor physical button)

ATM on my island doesn't have English if I remember correctly.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Hmm. Okay. Even the inaka ones that I saw had them, but it could be different where you are.

Worst comes to worst, OP, go to a 7-11, then. Fairly certain they all have English options?

Hmm. Okay. Even the inaka ones that I saw had them, but it could be different where you are.

Worst comes to worst, OP, go to a 7-11, then. Fairly certain they all have English options?
    What's a 7-11?

You hip urbanites and your lingo.

U da real mvp.

When you say 2k, you mean $2,000? That's a ***** lot.

(Meant the key money by the way)
    Yeah - it was basically 3 months' rent.
    However, my pred did warn me about the key money beforehand, so at least it wasn't a surprise. My supervisor wasn't super anxious to take the money either, so I probably could have paid in parts or after the first paycheck, but it was literally more than my first paycheck anyway (which is only because they took out too much taxes; now I get paid more per month).

That's actually an important point: Newbies, your first check will be smaller than normal.

U da real mvp.