Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bringing money to Japan

Default Re: Bringing money to Japan

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    For those that missed that adventure, they're being sent to a government contracted realtor to find apartments. And quite a few of them have found that they've ended up paying more key money and rent than other tenants in the same style apartment in the same building. They also have to purchase their own furnishings, although that's not entirely unexpected, unless you got a furnished apartment that suddenly was empty... As well as other new position issues (like COs not filling out US tax exemption paperwork so the US JETs have to pay local inhabitants tax, etc.) Others had worse issues, but those were more like Black BoE/COs than anything else (issues like commuting stipends not being paid out, arbitrary commuting rules - i.e. no trains, only buses etc.)
    Some of them are not allowed to use trains to get to work? That is simply crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Some of them are not allowed to use trains to get to work? That is simply crazy.
    Didn't you know? Some ALTs fly to work or walk 24 miles one way each day.

That stuff is so annoying. I had a conference one time that was 40 minutes away by car, and 3 hours and 30 minutes by train, walking, bus, walking. They told my I couldn't drive. I drove.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    That stuff is so annoying. I had a conference one time that was 40 minutes away by car, and 3 hours and 30 minutes by train, walking, bus, walking. They told my I couldn't drive. I drove.
    Were you able to drive to everything else except that conference?

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    That's actually an important point: Newbies, your first check will be smaller than normal.
    Mine was the opposite - It had July and August (like 3 days of July...) as well as the compensation for transportation to prefectural orientation. It probably depends on when your contract specifically starts. If it's the last days of July, it'll probably be normal or higher, if it's August, it'll be lower. It probably meshes with you last pay period when you leave as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosse View Post
    Were you able to drive to everything else except that conference?
    They just didn't want me driving during work hours, and the conference started at 9 or so. I commuted by car, and drove all the time during non-work hours.
    車庫 B1F

So coming from Australia, any suggestions on how to get the best rates to convert my initial $2-3K?

Default Bringing money to Japan

I asked the other Jets departing from my city, and they helped me find the best currency exchange place in town. You might want to talk to your pred before exchanging too much money though. Learn how much you'll need first.
    Last edited by johnny; May 28th, 2015 at 11:06.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

I'm an incoming Tokyo JET, and I don't think I'll be able to get more together than about £1500 ($2300). It'll be an adventure.

Well, let's hope the yen dips a bit more then, aye?

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    I love how lightly you suggest that, sweetheart.

No kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Amleth View Post
    So coming from Australia, any suggestions on how to get the best rates to convert my initial $2-3K?
    If you're from either sydney or Melbourne there's this place called kvb kunlun, who from my experience have better exchange rates than the banks. Otherwise get a Citibank card and put your money there and just withdraw when you get to Japan. I'm pretty sure they also have a better exchange rate than the banks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You and me both.

I'm not actually serious. I need it to go up, already being here and needing to pay off loans. :<

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    You and me both.
    It's dropped quite a lot in a year. Last March, I was getting 1000 yen for around £6.20. Now I could get 1000 yen for £5.20!

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Either way, I'd hold out as the current trend might net you a few extra bucks if you wait till late June early July to convert. Always remember though that many banks need to order in the money from larger/head branches so give yourself a few days if you want to bring bills eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I'm not sure if every bank does this, but with my bank there are foreign currency branches. You could call up your neighborhood bank and ask them if they are a foreign currency branch, and if they're not, they'll tell you if there's one nearby. A branch that specializes in foreign currency will have a stockpile, posted exchange rate info, and possibly even a separate teller for foreign transactions.
    車庫 B1F

If you're in a bigger city, getting yen will not be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    It's dropped quite a lot in a year. Last March, I was getting 1000 yen for around £6.20. Now I could get 1000 yen for £5.20!
    Would have cost you £8.50 odds back in the glory days of 2011. Gravy train is well past.