Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Interac - can/should I reapply?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Interac - can/should I reapply?

    Making friends is part of the exchange part of JET though. It's what allows you to be a better part of the community because you're getting to know it at a grassroots level. Making a lasting impression--a good one--is important to JET. And having Japanese as one of your limited interests is good...but I'm sure JET also wants people to be interested in a variety of things. It's outgoing people who aren't afraid to go outside of their comfort zone that they look for.

    Why do you think they rejected you for it though? What loophole could they have found? It's not like they release this kind of info for you to know.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Interac - can/should I reapply?

    Your Asperger's was not the reason. Like I said, I've met an ALT with a pretty obvious case. You need to examine other aspects of your application.

    ADA does not apply. Interac America just represents the Japan branch. That is your actual employer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Penguee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Tohoku
    Posts
    312

    Default Re: Interac - can/should I reapply?

    Well, if you've been rejected twice now, I'd say that if you really want to go to Japan and get experience, try a private English school. If it's a smaller one they would sponsor you and help you out. And then you'd get some experience and then maybe after a year you could apply to go as an ALT again?

  4. #24

    Default Re: Interac - can/should I reapply?

    Sounds like you're using your disability as a scapegoat tbh.

    "I played it up as a strength in my JET app, instead, talking in my SOP about how having Asperger's has given me a different view of the world and how I've been able to focus on studying Japanese because it's one of my limited interests."
    "My biggest challenge at this point is making friends, which has absolutely nothing to do with being an ALT."

    These two points are kind of worrisome. Did you actually tell them you have limited interests and have problems making friends? The first point may be the reason your app for JET was rejected (how is someone supposed to represent their culture if they only have limited knowledge of it?), and the second point is a really big flag.

    I mean, you'd be going to a new country, alone, and surrounded by people speaking a new language. Isolation could be a real problem, and if you already have problems with social situations, depression is very likely. I'd worry about sending someone like this too. You want to send determined, well-rounded people who can deal with changes easily (in theory at least). You don't sound like one of those people unfortunately.

    That can change though. If you're able to deal with your disability as easily as you claim you can, then all you need to do is explore your own country a bit first. Maybe work on your social skills as well (not sure how they are, but if you have trouble making friends then I'd guess not the greatest).

  5. #25
    read half. react. BifCarbet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    north of the strait
    Posts
    1,103

    Default Re: Interac - can/should I reapply?

    Supposing you are capable and would make a good ALT, it sounds like you misrepresented yourself. So if you do believe that you would be a good fit for the program, try again next year, taking all of MikeCarter's points into account. I'm not trying to be offensive, but it sounds like you treated Asperger's as something you needed to defend. I don't think they're interested in you going to Japan to overcome a challenge. Instead of defending yourself, next time (if you choose to reapply) just downplay it. Present yourself as a cool, fun person who's ready for an exciting new opportunity.
    They probably read your statement as, "I've got this thing, but I swear to god it's not a big deal. You have to believe me."
    車庫 B1F

  6. #26

    Default Re: Interac - can/should I reapply?

    There are absolutely ALTs on JET who have disclosed ASD on their applications and still gotten in. Even those on medications who had to go off medications to take their positions.

  7. #27
    Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7,143

    Default Re: Interac - can/should I reapply?

    Heya.

    First, There are plenty of Aspies on JET. Seriously. There is probably a higher portion of JET Aspies than the percentage of Aspies in the general population...

    The problem with your application honey, and everything you've said so far is that you don't seem like the kind of person that can handle the JET program and the ALT gig. Being "into" Japan isn't a good point, especially to the point that you think it is. JET is looking for ALTs who are flexible, sociable, NOT Japanese and flexible. I said flexible twice because that is the biggest thing they want. From your posts, it seems to me that you have a singular focus, and drive for "ALT". Hell, your handle is ALTkaren. That, to me... isn't the desired person. They want someone who can say "? what you totally threw a curve ball at me for no reason? #YOLO why not... lets do this shit" instead of a person who is stuck in their ways.

    Second, for the most part they don't want a Japanophile... They want an American, Canadian, Brit etc etc. So the more you trump up your "I'm so into Japan!" the less desirable of a candidate you are. If you are into Japan, that is fine... But if your sole interest is JAPAN, that is a RED FLAG for anyone hiring you. Why? that doesn't make sense! Well, a lot of us here have been here... a long... long .... long.... time....... And the people who flip out and have severe issues are the ones that are into JAPAN. Why? because life in Japan (your study abroad doesn't count... seriously... it doesn't) isn't and will never be 100% what you think it will be before you move here. People who have a singular focus in Japan, and Japanese culture tend to hit the wall... and hard... So most people who screen applications look for that. And to be honest with you, When I helped JET screen people, that was the biggest "NOPE NOPE NOPE" flag for me. Because the only suicide I've had the displeasure of dealing with, was a mentally disturbed JET who made JAPAN their life before coming here, and freaking out that it wasn't his dream...

    Take some time and think about it, Ask yourself this question? "Would I mind teaching in Korea? China? Thailand?" If the answer is no, I don't want to teach anywhere but Japan... then you are probably not the candidate they are looking for.
    Last edited by BeckyJones; February 16th, 2015 at 10:02.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Interac - can/should I reapply?

    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    Take some time and think about it, Ask yourself this question? "Would I mind teaching in Korea? China? Thailand?" If the answer is no... then you are probably not the candidate they are looking for.
    Didn't you just make a point about the importance of being flexible ?

    Isn't saying no I wouldn't mind teaching in all those countries make you uber flexible ?

  9. #29
    Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    7,143

    Default Re: Interac - can/should I reapply?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunjumero View Post
    Didn't you just make a point about the importance of being flexible ?

    Isn't saying no I wouldn't mind teaching in all those countries make you uber flexible ?
    sorry, not enough coffee... wording issue. That is the point, if you can say "yea... I'd do that" that makes you flexible, and makes you a better candidate. A singular focus on Japan, the holy land... the nerd mecca isn't what the type of person they are usually looking for.
    Last edited by BeckyJones; February 16th, 2015 at 10:02.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Interac - can/should I reapply?

    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    sorry, not enough coffee... wording issue. That is the point, if you can say "yea... I'd do that" that makes you flexible, and makes you a better candidate. A singular focus on Japan, the holy land... the nerd mecca isn't what the type of person they are usually looking for.
    Yeah that's what I thought, thanks

  11. #31
    Fit via vi Virgil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    2,212

    Default Re: Interac - can/should I reapply?

    Wow, good post BJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

  12. #32
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: Interac - can/should I reapply?

    BJ does bring up good points. Flexibility is really, really important. This is expected from employees in Japan. And that's what you will be if you're short-listed and placed, and employee of your CO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •