Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bringing prescriptions to Japan

Default Re: Bringing perscriptions to Japan

Ibuprofen is available here. It's marketed mostly as a period pain reliever. Eve is the major brand, but there are generic versions that are a little cheaper. The box I bought says to take two pills, which add up to 150mg, up to 3 times a day. That's a bit lower than the dose I'd take in the US. I think one Advil tablet is 200mg. Tylenol is also available, but I think the dose is lower and it's pretty expensive compared to Eve.

Default Re: Bringing prescriptions to Japan

Is ibuprofen usually marketed as period drugs? The staff at my local must think I'm one ugly bint.

Yeah it's usually 200mg back home, in Japan it's almost always 150 in my experience.75 per pill is really low.

If you're familiar with chemistry, I suppose you could build a lab in your apartment and make your own asprin.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosse View Post
    If you're familiar with chemistry, I suppose you could build a lab in your apartment and make your own asprin.
    Let's do it, Amber.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Let's do it, Amber.

I know a few folks with the recipe; I'm not joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Is ibuprofen usually marketed as period drugs? The staff at my local must think I'm one ugly bint.

Yeah it's usually 200mg back home, in Japan it's almost always 150 in my experience.75 per pill is really low.
    If it's Eve, it's a period drug. If it's Naron Ace, it's headache. Exactly the same ibuprofen dose, but because it's a different packet, it must be for a different thing.
    ...because Japan.

I smuggled in some Tylenol. It's pretty handy if you have a hangover.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

You know they sell Tylenol in Japan, right? And yes, it's the same stuff.
    ...because Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    If it's Eve, it's a period drug. If it's Naron Ace, it's headache. Exactly the same ibuprofen dose, but because it's a different packet, it must be for a different thing.
    Naron Ace is also a bit more expensive, if I remember correctly. That's why I just stick with Eve.

No! Japan has nothing that other countries have! We must bring everything ever with us!

My bad. I guess my ignorance only cost me a small section of my suitcase.
    Last edited by johnny; February 16th, 2015 at 20:15.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    My bad. I guess my ignorance only cost me a small section of my suitcase.
    Look at it this way: find a place near you that sells it, and you won't have to ration the stuff any more!
    ...because Japan.

Default Re: Bringing perscriptions to Japan

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    Just make sure it isn't the PM or the 'Helps you fall asleep' versions - they're illegal. As are some liquid cough syrups like NyQuil, although the reformulated stuff is available on amazon.co.jp now... (Plus side, you don't need a YS for one bottle of them, and you might be able to find them/order them on Amazon.)
    I don't think you're quite right. As long as it doesn't include stimulants (pseudoephedrine) or codeine, then you're good to go. I nabbed this from the American Department of State Website:
    It is illegal to bring into Japan some over-the-counter medicines commonly used in the United States, including inhalers and some allergy and sinus medications. Specifically, products that contain stimulants (medicines that contain Pseudoephedrine, such as Actifed, Sudafed, and Vicks inhalers), or Codeine are prohibited. Up to a two-months' supply of allowable over-the-counter medication and up to a four-months' supply of allowable vitamins can be brought into Japan duty-free.
    So I think your Advil PM is probably okay. You have to get the hard stuff from the pharmacist in America, anyway. Things that are out on the shelf are usually good. I just whipped my pill boxes out and asked directly. No problem.

Anyone know about bringing large amounts of prescription? Is that a yakkan shoumei thing? I know I'll have like a year's worth of contact lenses (if that applies...?), and as long as things go okay with getting enough birth control, hopefully at least a year supply of that, too...

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    Anyone know about bringing large amounts of prescription? Is that a yakkan shoumei thing? I know I'll have like a year's worth of contact lenses (if that applies...?), and as long as things go okay with getting enough birth control, hopefully at least a year supply of that, too...
    I think the limit is three months worth of any drug.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    uh ohhhh. Anyone have this issue and have to get stuff shipped over or something? I guess I could have my parents send them over as needed and reimberse for shipping, but that seems like a pain in the ass....

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Nope. I bring over 1 years worth of a certain kind of medication I can't get here every year, and my prescription is for more than 3 months.

You're good for at least up to a year if the paperwork pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    Nope. I bring over 1 years worth of a certain kind of medication I can't get here every year, and my prescription is for more than 3 months.

You're good for at least up to a year if the paperwork pans out.
    I think you were lucky.

Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare: Information for those who are bringing medicines for personal use into Japan
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

I like that even the Japanese govt apparently can't get a proper translation done.

when you bring your personal medicines into Japan, you have to apply for so called "Yakkan Shoumei"
    Also, how much is "up to 1 month supply" of deadly poison?

Enough to kill yourself twice a day for thirty days. Duh.

U da real mvp.