Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aspiring Singaporean JETs 2015

Default Aspiring Singaporean JETs 2015

Starting this thread coz I don't see any. Anything Singaporeans here? Hello!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Default Re: Aspiring Singaporean JETs 2015

Hello! Aspiring ALT from Singapore here!

Greetings! Yes, I don't think we had a thread of our own. Until now...

Don't worry, lah. You folks are everywhere in JET.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Haha are Singaporeans supposed to lie low here? Haha I'm just excitedly awaiting results so I thought it would be nicer to wait with fellow Singaporeans, same timeline ya...

Using Tapatalk

Nah, you can announce yourselves if you want. Feel free to join us in the lounge!
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

Yeah, we're not so bad...mostly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Yeah, we're not so bad...mostly.
    Ha. Haha. Hahahahaaha

Anyway, where are the other Singaporean applicants hiding?

Oh a quick warning, tho; don't ever tell a student that she has small eyes. I dunno why but there was a Singaporean ALT who did that a few years ago and made his student cry; he seemed really confused by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Oh a quick warning, tho; don't ever tell a student that she has small eyes. I dunno why but there was a Singaporean ALT who did that a few years ago and made his student cry; he seemed really confused by it.
    Why would anyone say that?

Did he also mention her piggy nose?
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; February 18th, 2015 at 18:38.

U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Why would anyone say that?

Did he also mention her piggy nose?
    It was here on the forum; I can't remember the user but he was all like "I told a student she had small eyes and she cried, wtf?" and we were all like "Dude why would you say that?" and he was all like "It's a compliment in my culture" and we were all like "That's weird but it seems like a pretty bad idea, anyway." If I'm remembering it all correctly, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I'm Singaporean! But.. an American citizen one. I got out of my malay-girl accent around when I was around 12 but can switch between the accents fairly easy.
    Good luck!

And lol to the small eye story.

hi guys, was lurking around. didn't come in much after interview but i kinda got impatient, until i saw this thread. so I guess this will make the wait a lil more exciting. XP so hi! ...there r about 4 or 5 of us here?

The small eye story, oh dear I have a meaner one that I will do to friends with small eyes. I will tug the skin at my temples (making slit eyes) and go "Mama you tied my hair too tightly".

Using Tapatalk

Aspiring 2015 Singaporean Jets:

JestersJ
    aimlesscomet
    enelwai
    Laserlight
    Shue

Did I get that right? It's always more exciting to wait in a group (Aspiring since 2012, it's a long story). This year interviews were a lil early so I'm hoping results can be out by end Mar/early April!
    Last edited by shue; February 25th, 2015 at 12:42.
    Using Tapatalk

Since 2012? :/ You are determined man.. Were the interviews earlier this year? Any stats for this year so far? When were all your interviews? *ganchiong*

My interview was on 20th Jan at 2.40pm! I think I was the last for the day, are the two people before me that I met on this thread as well? Hello y'all!

2013: Interviewed 6Feb; Notified 3Apr
    2014: Interviewed 4Feb; Notified 15Apr
    2015: Interviewed 20Jan. I was at the 9am slot
    I think my interviews went fine, but my Japanese is not really up to scratch. I could answer the basic stuff but conversation I fumbled quite badly. BUT that's why I want to go Japan -- I do wanna improve my Japanese!
    Last edited by shue; March 4th, 2015 at 11:43.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shue View Post
    2013: Interviewed 6Feb; Notified 3Apr
    2014: Interviewed 4Feb; Notified 15Apr
    2015: Interviewed 20Jan. I was at the 9am slot
    I think my interviews went fine, but my Japanese is not really up to scratch. I could answer the basic stuff but conversation I fumbled quite badly. BUT that's why I want to go Japan -- I do wanna improve my Japanese!
    It's my understanding your Japanese ability doesn't really matter. During my interview they didn't even seem interested in it.

You think your Japanese ability is what caused you to not go? Were you put as an alternate for any of those years?

I suppose for US/UK where many candidates dont have Japanese ability, it doesn't matter so much, whereas for Singapore where there are many fluent candidates, having good Japanese ability scores you some points and every bit helps, esp coz I don't have a lot of teaching experience

I don't think it was my Japanese ability that decided the results. It was more like I wasn't a super strong candidate and my proficiency in Japanese didn't help to boost my resume. Over the years I've definitely improved on my Japanese and also added in more experiences (I do volunteer teaching work with young kids) to make my resume stronger.

In my first year (2012) I didn't even score an interview. I was on alternate for 2 years. Last year I got upgraded subsequently but due to my financial situation I declined before placement and hence was not blacklisted. I spoke quite frankly about it during my interview and I THINK they were okay with it. I've since sorted it out and really hope I can go this year! I hope tenacity pays off

Last edited by shue; March 4th, 2015 at 13:57.
    Using Tapatalk