Thread: Changing Decisions After Signing Your Contract

Default Changing Decisions After Signing Your Contract

Hello,

I have a question I was hoping someone out there might have information about or helpful experiences.

If you already signed your contract to not accept reappointment, is it possible to request to change your decision, and instead stay for another year? Or rather, is it reasonable to request it? Especially since it's still only mid-February? I've seen many posts about people breaking contract early, however I haven't been able to find anything about it going the other way around.

At the beginning of the year I signed my contract to not accept reappointment, but now due to many unforeseen circumstances I've been forced to reconsider the things I had set up for the future. One of the options I've been thinking about is the possibility of trying to stay one more year .... is it even worth asking?

Thanks so much for your time and consideration!

Default Re: Changing Decisions After Signing Your Contract

You might try, but I suspect it's too late now.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Make your decision now and beg forgiveness.

Things are already in motion for you to go. It is possible that they can stop it, but they'll need time and a reason to keep you. The longer you wait, the less likely it becomes.

If I were them, I'd be suspicious that you'd change your mind again. Have an answer ready.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; February 19th, 2015 at 15:55.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Good luck.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

It'll fuck the budget up a bit (which at this point in time has cleared the BOE, cleared the treasury and may have already cleared the council and been signed off by the mayor) but seeing as they will end up with more cash rather than less doing that way round they might not care. It'll depend on how far down the rabbit hole with agreeing to take a new ALT they are. Luckily I dont associate with JET BOEs so I'm not sure on the processes, deadlines and costs they have to deal with.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I did it.

It was right after the disaster though, and they were worried people wouldn't agree to my city. It may not have worked otherwise, but they did seem really relieved, like they could close the book on a major pain in the ass. Couldn't hurt to try.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; February 19th, 2015 at 23:06.
    車庫 B1F

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I've heard of it before, but only at the city level. I knew a few people who tried it at the prefecture level and they were quite happy to just keep the train goin.

Like Ini said, they are already knee deep in dealing with budgets for your successor, making all types of official requests for them, and dealing with a metric shit ton of paperwork (as per usual in a japanese office)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Like Ini said, they are already knee deep in dealing with budgets for your successor, making all types of official requests for them, and dealing with a metric shit ton of paperwork (as per usual in a japanese office)
    No shit. I feel bad that my pred quit because getting me in the mix seems to be a royal pain in the ass for everyone involved. Including me.

I do know it has happened before, but it was a local placement (not prefectural) and the BOE was willing to jump through all the hoops to get the ALT back because they really liked them.

Hello everyone, thanks again for your advice and warm wishes.

Last Friday, after explaining my situation to my JTE’s, I spoke to them about the possibility of changing my decision and staying another year—they were all shocked but really happy and relieved. They spoke to my Kocho-Sensei and Kyoto-Sensei immediately afterwards, who were also both really supportive and brought it up to my BOE (prefectural level). Today (Monday), I found out that my request has been accepted and I’ll be staying another year! Since my BOE already sent their request for new ALTs to CLAIR, there’s a bit of paperwork that needs to be filed, however I think only a small portion of that will actually trickle down to me and my school. I am going to have a meeting with my Kocho-Sensei and Kyoto-Sensei later today to reiterate my situation and confirm my intent (and apologize, perhaps forehead-to-the-floor style. I’m already looking up brownie-recipes for a small thank-you gift hehe).

So yes, I’ll be staying another year! My sincere thanks to you all again

Awesome! Congrats; glad it all worked out for ya. Hope we haven't seen the last of you, either; we'd love to see you hang around the forum for a while!
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I'd like to add that the deadline for ALTs to sign (I think it was Jan 15th?) really doesn't mean that much. The BOE has a deadline for paperwork to be sent to CLAIR, and as long as they have that paperwork in on time it doesn't matter they have you sign that form. My 'interview' was late this year due to cancelled classes, teachers out from the flu, and the Principal having business trips for the first 3 weeks of January.

I let my BoE know my decision, and they let me know they'd stop by with the paperwork once they had everything together. Signed (I don't even thing it was pre-dated) and that was that.