Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Japanese weather

Default Japanese weather

So we all know "Japan has four seasons". But I always hear weather in Japan sucks except for 2 months of spring and fall. I'm sure location plays a factor, but what do you guys think? I'm just kind of wondering how Japan stacks up since I've heard from so many people to be really prepared for ice cold winters and sweltering summers... I feel like where I'm from has given me pretty thick skin with god awful weather, but who knows? I guess there's always monsoon season to look out for, right?

Default Re: Japanese weather

Depends on where you get placed. As a general rule the more North you go, the easier the summers but the more horrible the winters, vice versa for South. The climate ranges from 'temperate' in Hokkaido to 'tropical' in Okinawa.
    I'll second the 'winter and summer sucks' bit though.

The other thing is that climate change is really screwing around with the seasons here. It's the tail end of winter and we're still getting snowfalls here in Osaka, which normally you only get late December to mid January if at all.

My Japan has both hot, humid summers and crappy, cold winters thanks to Sea of Japan to the north and the mountains south of us. A couple of teachers at my school are from Tokyo, and they pointed out that it's a lot darker and cloudier here in the winter than it is in Kanto. I'd recommend getting one of those special lamps if you have seasonal depression.

Rainy season sucks. The only place that doesn't get it is Hokkaido. Rainy season, I wrongly assumed, was rain for a straight month. (Japan has four seasons, my eye, it's got five, dang it!)
    Nope. Nope. You get nasty grey skies for a full month and sometimes get a glimmer of sun. If it were raining, I'd feel more justified in the grey, but nope. It doesn't always rain. It's also so nasty and humid outside (80-90%) it feels like you're swimming when you're walking. Ugh.
    Summer has nasty points and really nice points. In fact, after rainy season, you tend to not care how hot and nasty it is as long as you can see the sun, so there's that.
    My winters are super mild. I'm lucky to have a good spot in Japan right now. Last year we had snow every single February weekend, and this year we've only had huge snowfalls a couple of times. I'm totally lucky Tohoku-location wise. Also, winter is not very cold at all. I'm used to New England cold, and here is a piece of cake.
    Hokkaido winter was a piece of cake, too (cold wise). I was surprised by the snow, but New England is WAY colder.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I'd say coast side has more impact on weather than north south to be honest.

I live on the north coast up in tohoku. My summers are mild and hot, I have almost no rainy season (except for when typhoons go right over the mainland), my winter is generally a lot heavier than the east coast, and in winter it's pretty much always grey.

Opposite side has almost no winter/snow, rainy season, more oppressive summers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I'd say coast side has more impact on weather than north south to be honest.

I live on the north coast up in tohoku. My summers are mild and hot, I have almost no rainy season (except for when typhoons go right over the mainland), my winter is generally a lot heavier than the east coast, and in winter it's pretty much always grey.

Opposite side has almost no winter/snow, rainy season, more oppressive summers.
    All of this. Gizmo and I live on opposite sides of Tohoku.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

the weather isn't any worse than anywhere else in the world. The weather is "worse", because you feel it all.
    Hokkaido, is cold.. and similar in climate to places like Detroit, or Minneapolis. Tokyo is warmer, and similar to Atlanta, or Nashville. Okinawa, is like Miami.

The reason why it sucks, and the reason ppl bitch so much about it is that YOU CANT ESCAPE THE WEATHER. If it is 30C outside (~90F) it will be about that temperature no matter where you go. Same in reverse, today I woke up and the inside of my house was 4C (~40F)

For example. I want to go to the bathroom and take a morning deuce. But the school bathrooms are a blistering 3C and drafty as shit... I'll wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

your dont heat your house?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

your dont heat your house?
    not all of it.
    only the rooms we are in, when we are in them. Costs too damn much yo
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

COLD. COLD. COLD. This country is fking cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    COLD. COLD. COLD. This country is fking cold.
    It's -9 where I am right now w 30 windchill I think I'll be ok with the cold..…… lol

Ya I always hear apartments get cold though and most people use kotatsu and space heaters.

Summers what I'm worried about, humidity kills me.....

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    It's -9 where I am right now w 30 windchill I think I'll be ok with the cold..…… lol

Ya I always hear apartments get cold though and most people use kotatsu and space heaters.

Summers what I'm worried about, humidity kills me.....
    turn off the heat in your apartment.
    try it out for a week or two and then see if you can handle it.

Still not the same, bunkster, weepinbell has insulation.

Open a window, whoppingbellend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I'm just a giant vajay when it comes to the cold. I'm pretty far south, so it's pretty mild. Cold bathrooms are a problem for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Still not the same, bunkster, weepinbell has insulation.

Open a window, whoppingbellend.
    oh yea. forgot about that fancy first world insulation thingie.

yea, open a window... better yet. crack two open so you get a draft

Better pray to Jesus that you get a heated toilet.

I love those things so much.

Question for the ages: when using a bidet toilet - when does cleaning ones self become pleasuring oneself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

I love those things so much.

Question for the ages: when using a bidet toilet - when does cleaning ones self become pleasuring oneself?
    when you start masturbating.

and to OP, open the windows... but you can use a space heater... just can't close the windows.

I'm just a giant vajay when it comes to the cold. I'm pretty far south, so it's pretty mild. Cold bathrooms are a problem for me.
    Heated seats are great. Frozen toes at the same time is just odd. Probably the reason why I wear shoes instead of just slippers in my house.

The weather where I am has been pretty good actually. It's definitely chilly at night though.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.