Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any early departure applicants out there?

Default Re: Any early departure applicants out there?

The main contacts you need will be in your own prefecture, and you can meet them at your prefectural orientation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I couldn't agree more. You're never going to see the vast majority of people at TO ever again. I'm positive that Akita AJET has a Facebook page. Just introduce yourself to them and I am pretty sure people will be down to meet you.

If you're going to pay for a trip to Tokyo, for the love of God, don't let it be for the orientation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You'll get your placement eventually.

Then you get to tease me with photos of the NYC orientation and etc.
    you know that's not happening. The only reason I would be there is to confirm your identity, something even a lack of acceptance into JET would stop me from achieving.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddingHead View Post
    A perfect representation of who I am.

A cold, dead fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Liamers View Post
    thanks guys. Anybody here from Akita prefecture or have any info or advice.

Also do you think it would be possible to get down to the tokyo orientation for a day or two. Obviously it would be at my own expense. I just want to meet the other new JETs and make contacts
    To echo what others said - it wouldn't be worth it. You already have your own TO for ED candidates, and realistically, the people you meet at TO you're probably almost never going to see again. What's more important is meeting all the local JETs in your prefecture and the neighboring prefectures.

Just wanted to say I got a call from my consulate today and offered an early departure spot, they said unknown location right now, I won't be leaving that April 7th date but later in April.
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by JestersJ View Post
    Just wanted to say I got a call from my consulate today and offered an early departure spot, they said unknown location right now, I won't be leaving that April 7th date but later in April.
    Cheers!
    Awesome, you made the cut in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunjumero View Post
    Awesome, you made the cut in the end.
    Checked my email a million times only to receive a phone call.

I didn't know ed get a to. Sweet.

congrats jesters!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Don't biro a swastika on your forehead the morning of the interview.

Sweet, congrats!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JestersJ View Post
    Cheers!
    That's really odd. Why would they offer you a spot if they didn't know where it is?

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    That's really odd. Why would they offer you a spot if they didn't know where it is?
    Maybe they haven't had time to decide where all the ED Jets are going, but they wanted to let them know ASAP that they're leaving early so they could get their affairs in order.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Rofl my friend said, "They do that so they know you can't turn it down."

But yeah I think it's more of what Johnny said; she wanted to give me some time to prep but they needed to finalize my area.
    PERSONALLY I think the coordinator actually knows my spot but was told not to tell me until further instruction.

Let us know when you find out.

congratulations!

Suppose I finally have to stop lurking (a whole 4 months).
    Quote Originally Posted by Liamers View Post
    thanks guys. Anybody here from Akita prefecture or have any info or advice.

Also do you think it would be possible to get down to the tokyo orientation for a day or two. Obviously it would be at my own expense. I just want to meet the other new JETs and make contacts
    Welcome to Akita! I like to think we're a pretty good bunch overall, and can vouch for the area you're going into in that regard. There will be a party, so you'll have plenty of helpful contacts. If no one has shoved it at you already, our prefectural website is a great start: Akita Wiki

Otherwise, general advice: It will be rural, but not inaka; Akita City is close enough that you'll have an outlet. We have all the seasons - snow is pretty much gone, but still chilly now. Regional dialect is Akita-ben, have fun with that. Uh... there's kiritanpo? Feel free to be in contact for any specifics!

(Also echoing the sentiment about TO. The only thing that happened for me at TO was not finding any of the people from my prefecture until the last day, subsequently becoming bros with Aomori ALTs in the meantime, and then never seeing Aomori ALTs again even though they're only one prefecture over, whoops.)