Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aeon to JET?

Default Aeon to JET?

Has anyone from Aeon gotten a job at JET afterward? I know of people from interac and heart but they are ALT companies and Aeon is more of an Eikawa.

My friend has an offer from both Aeon and Interac, she wants to go to Interac because its the ALT experience and we know people from it who has gone into JET afterward. We haven't heard of any people from Aeon going onto Jet afterward though. Aeon pays more so she's kind of torn between more pay and knowing for sure you have a good chance with JET after interac.

Any thoughts? She didn't make interview phase this year but was interested in trying again next year (but she needs to work cuz of student loan debt, etc)
    Last edited by JestersJ; February 24th, 2015 at 07:09.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Default Re: Aeon to JET?

It is possible. It is harder to get on JET while in Japan however, so Interac to JET AEON to JET are a lot harder than the reverse. But either companies can lead to JET.

AEON being the eikaiwa gig wont effect an application onto JET. Just social life.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

just come to Japan with whoever for a few years then call it a day. Seems pointless trying to get on JET if you are already here, especially if you failed to even get a JET interview. They should probably give it up and move on. They have already wasted a year of their life trying to get on JET and its hardly a dream job. So that leaves you with the Aeon vs Interac/ekaiwa vs ALT question. If you are coming for 1 year max then take aeon. Get more money, live in a city, get some poon but they will be ready to slit their wrists after 12 months. If they think they will want to stay longer then go for interac as it offers a slightly more "normal" lifestyle.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

just come to Japan with whoever for a few years then call it a day. Seems pointless trying to get on JET if you are already here, especially if you failed to even get a JET interview. They should probably give it up and move on. They have already wasted a year of their life trying to get on JET and its hardly a dream job. So that leaves you with the Aeon vs Interac/ekaiwa vs ALT question. If you are coming for 1 year max then take aeon. Get more money, live in a city, get some poon but they will be ready to slit their wrists after 12 months. If they think they will want to stay longer then go for interac as it offers a slightly more "normal" lifestyle.
    actually. this is best advice.
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by JestersJ View Post
    Has anyone from Aeon gotten a job at JET afterward? I know of people from interac and heart but they are ALT companies and Aeon is more of an Eikawa.

My friend has an offer from both Aeon and Interac, she wants to go to Interac because its the ALT experience and we know people from it who has gone into JET afterward. We haven't heard of any people from Aeon going onto Jet afterward though. Aeon pays more so she's kind of torn between more pay and knowing for sure you have a good chance with JET after interac.

Any thoughts? She didn't make interview phase this year but was interested in trying again next year (but she needs to work cuz of student loan debt, etc)
    What does she think is going to be so different about JET that it's worth switching? Not trying to be sarcastic, genuinely curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    What does she think is going to be so different about JET that it's worth switching? Not trying to be sarcastic, genuinely curious.
    Pay mainly. She had to go through all of Uni with student loans and has a lot to pay back. minimum monthly payment is over $800 right now.

The pay is not that different between JET and Interac these days. If she's that desperate for money it might be better to just go with Interac and find an Eikaiwa or two to work at on the side.

The pay is not that different between JET and Interac these days. If she's that desperate for money it might be better to just go with Interac and find an Eikaiwa or two to work at on the side.
    Jet 1st year minimum is set on 3.36mil yen this year and she'd get 2.3mil yen on Interac via the contract they sent her and 2.4 if she chooses a rural location; so it's pretty noticeable to an already low pay. but yeah, working extra in an eikawa might have her balance out the pay considering interac's contract only has her on 29 working hours a week.

2.3mil????? can you even get a visa on that?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I guess so, it's what's written on her contract at least.
    They actually have 2 months where they get paid 1.3 mil and 3 months where they get 1.96 mil to account for holiday hours. :/

How much is a flight to wherever she'd have to interview from? Also there's moving costs to be considered. How long is she planning on staying in Japan? One year on interac, one year on JET? If she's planning on staying longer than that I'm worried about her mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    How much is a flight to wherever she'd have to interview from? Also there's moving costs to be considered. How long is she planning on staying in Japan? One year on interac, one year on JET? If she's planning on staying longer than that I'm worried about her mind.
    She wanted to do the 5 year max with JET. Interac interview is actually in the u.s. so she didnt have to pay for a flight.

Wow, OK. I'd been told that Interac pay wasn't so much lower than JET, guess that wasn't true.

There's no harm in applying to JET, but if her going is dependent upon her getting into JET, that's just wishful thinking. She'd be better off going on Interac and looking for work as a direct hire. A lot more jobs become available when you already live in Japan and have a bit of experience, and most of them pay better than that Interac offer...

Also assuming she'll definitely to want to stay for 5 years is pretty naive. She might come here and hate it after 6 months.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Wow, OK. I'd been told that Interac pay wasn't so much lower than JET, guess that wasn't true.
    Maybe it's a recent change?

Sharp would surely never lie to us.

you cant afford custom keyboards on 2.3million a year so it must be a different contract to sharps.....

2.3 is exceptionally low. Must be that position, especially since it is 29hours a week. No interac drone I know works that little.

either way, your friends.... is thinking JET is some holy grail which it isn't. Take a job to get into Japan, test the waters... realize it will probably suck after a year or two and be done with Japan. Or... take the job, fall in love with it, and eventually go direct hire... stay for 5 years and then realize it sucks. Or take the job, fall in love with someone, get married and stay here for life and become a bitter shell of a person who hops around between ALT/eikaiwa jobs for the rest of their life.

She wanted to do the 5 year max with JET. Interac interview is actually in the u.s. so she didnt have to pay for a flight.
    I'm saying if she comes over on interac and then switches to JET, she'd have to leave Japan for the interview, thereby incurring further costs in transitioning to JET. And that's assuming she's accepted and it's not money flushed down the toilet.
    Go on interac, take a side job, forget about JET. It's unlikely she'll want to stay five years, and even if she does, once in Japan it's easier to find private school work.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    I'm saying if she comes over on interac and then switches to JET, she'd have to leave Japan for the interview, thereby incurring further costs in transitioning to JET. And that's assuming she's accepted and it's not money flushed down the toilet.
    Go on interac, take a side job, forget about JET. It's unlikely she'll want to stay five years, and even if she does, once in Japan it's easier to find private school work.
    TBH I figured that was the path she'd end up going down anyway if she realized she liked it and wanted to stay. I can see her maybe getting into JET if she stays in America but I think if she goes onto Japan now she'll end up just settling for what she got until something better came along.
    I understand liking the language and practice; but she hates most Japanese food and finds the social-order there off whack. I think she just doesn't see in the big picture that it would be her everyday life.

I understand liking the language and practice; but she hates most Japanese food and finds the social-order there off whack. I think she just doesn't see in the big picture that it would be her everyday life.
    she will like JET just as much as the others. Which is to day.... not much.

Hates the food and social order here? She actually sounds more reasonable than I was giving her credit for.