Thread: Depature Date questions

Default Depature Date questions

Having read the FAQ, I know that changing departure dates is impossible. In that light, this question may appear to be stupid, but wanted to put it out there in any case.

Has anyone ever changed from Group A to Group B? Is it impossible to do so?

Thanks!

Default Re: Depature Date questions

I am pretty sure it's impossible to change groups. The group you are assigned to is based on the consulate to which you applied. Group C is a little different because it's comprised of SEAs (or whatever they are) and late upgrades.

If you are shortlisted, it probably doesn't hurt to ask the consulate if you can leave at a different time, but I am pretty positive that they won't be able to do anything for you.

I am not the biggest authority on this subject though. MC or SFC or some of the vets here will know more than me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

I've heard of switching departure cities within the same group, but not different ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Pretty sure you can't change groups, if you could I probably would have to be honest .

Thanks for all the replies! I'm going to try to ask the office on Monday. Do you think reason would have much impact on whether or not a person can change? The reason why I would have to change is because the Critical Language Scholarship program for Japanese ends on August 2. It is possible (maybe) to leave the program a day or two early, but even then....

I'm pretty sure you can't change groups. In fact, last time, I interviewed in a city 1500 km away from where I lived (and had to fly there for the interview and also leave from there) just so I could be in group B, because I had a previous commitment. It really didn't make sense when I flew from there, as I had to go East to get to the departure location, and then flew right back over where I had just come from a few hours later. Having said that, I knew about my previous commitment before even applying to JET, so I could plan for Group B.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swmrgrl View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can't change groups. In fact, last time, I interviewed in a city 1500 km away from where I lived (and had to fly there for the interview and also leave from there) just so I could be in group B, because I had a previous commitment. It really didn't make sense when I flew from there, as I had to go East to get to the departure location, and then flew right back over where I had just come from a few hours later. Having said that, I knew about my previous commitment before even applying to JET, so I could plan for Group B.
    Tokyo is pretty strict with group changes. The thing is, they can only accommodate a certain number of new JETS for orientation at the hotel per group. There have been years where they have almost needed to look for a new hotel because too many people ended up being in one group or the other. Also, Japan is a land of routine for the most part. They do not like to get their feathers ruffled. They rather enjoy knowing that everyone from a certain set of locations with A, and the others with group B.There have been very rare circumstances where group changes have been able to happen, but these are decided strictly on a case by case basis. I personally know of it happening once. Like I said, these cases are very rare.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Thank you miamicoordinator! I will contact my consulate's coordinator and see what will happen.

Thank you everyone for their response!

I've been meaning to ask: what is this group A / group B business? Does it apply to everyone or only Americans?
    I gather there are two different orientation groups, but is it anything more than that?

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AyaReiko View Post
    I've been meaning to ask: what is this group A / group B business? Does it apply to everyone or only Americans?
    I gather there are two different orientation groups, but is it anything more than that?
    All jet participants are lumped into 3 main groups. A, B, and C. Group A leaves a week before group b, and group c leaves later in august. It is just to not have all new jets arrive at the same time. There are limited rooms and conference space at the otel for orientation. In the u.s., we are divided in 1/2
    For other countries i dont know if they send people at different times.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    All jet participants are lumped into 3 main groups. A, B, and C. Group A leaves a week before group b, and group c leaves later in august. It is just to not have all new jets arrive at the same time. There are limited rooms and conference space at the otel for orientation. In the u.s., we are divided in 1/2
    For other countries i dont know if they send people at different times.
    Judging by my friend's facebook post the UK also divides them.

I think the Canadian contingent in 2013 was all in group B. I made that assumption for some reason and I can't remember why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Haha, ok, thanks!

Just an example, but there was a ALT who changed from A to C a few years ago due to a pretty massive car accident that happened on the way to departure orientation. The ALT was hospitalized at least overnight, and missed the flight, but came later AFAIK with group C - or at least mid-August. That gave them enough time to clear up any legal issues from the accident and recover, as well as letting them get to their CO before the second term started.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Car accident > Graduation ceremony.

Just saying .