Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ALT blogs/vlogs/books and such stuff

Default Re: ALT blogs/vlogs/books and such stuff

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    How many apartment tours do we really need?
    As many as it takes.

People are still moving here! Won't someone please think of the Americans?

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Most content creators start by copying other people's style. Trying and failing, eventually growing out of their shell and doing their own thing.

You can't expect everyone starting off to make masterpieces.

Hell, even the best bloggers/vloggers and etc start up with subpar material eventually finding their own rhythm.

The idea that "If I'm not good/great then I shouldn't bother", is a really grim and stagnating one.

That's why people say it takes 10,000 hours of practice to achieve mastery in anything.

I don't know. Maybe you're right. Maybe I can show them a movie of me shopping at a weird and foreign Japanese suupah. Or, maybe I could take a movie of the cray Japanese trains we have over here.

On the level, you need to be clever to reinvent those stale old ideas. I'm not that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    As many as it takes.
    I haven't seen every genkan yet, dammit!

Edit:
    I'm all for vlogs or blogs that actually add something, but you really shouldn't start one if you have nothing to say. I don't want to see another pudgy white dude bitch about the lack of good ( ). I might, however, want to see a pudgy white dude show me how to make semi-decent ( ) using only inaka resources.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; March 6th, 2015 at 13:41.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You can't expect everyone starting off to make masterpieces.

The idea that "If I'm not good/great then I shouldn't bother", is a really grim and stagnating one.

That's why people say it takes 10,000 hours of practice to achieve mastery in anything.
    WOAH WAIT. Noone said anything about quality did they? You could be a spectacularly sub par film maker making vlogs for practice, so long as the CONTENT is in someway novel, it's worth doing. The problem comes from the "Look GAIZ, tatami yooZ!" that there are billions of on youtube. When my friend started his youtube channel he started by copying other people for certain styles, while creating the look he wanted from his product. He also showed content which you didn't nescessarily see on other products with a slightly comedic monologue to go with it. Had it been done before? Yes, had it been done in that way? no, Was it sufficiently novel to warrant being made? ya actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    I don't want to see another pudgy white dude bitch about the lack of good ( ). I might, however, want to see a pudgy white dude show me how to make semi-decent ( ) using only inaka resources.
    I think this is a pretty good game. I'll start

I don't want to see another pudgy white dude bitch about the lack of good . I might, however, want to see a pudgy white dude show me how to make semi-decent fleshlight using only inaka resources

I don't want to see another pudgy white dude bitch about the lack of good . I might, however, want to see a pudgy white dude show me how to make semi-decent fleshlight using only inaka resources
    An empty Pringles can and a dead fish would do the job.
    I've been here, I've been there, I've been every f...where

Quote Originally Posted by sourdoughsushi View Post
    Tumblr has a lot, but beware that half of them are frothing SJWs or prone to complaining about being a vegan unicorn in Japan. Other than that, they have a little community going on and it can be a good way to meet people. Just search 'jet program(me)' and enjoy.
    I'm genuinely just curious about this now that someone mentioned it. How hard is it to be vegetarian/vegan in Japan? I'm personally not... just wondering. There's this Japanese marketplace/foodcourt by me and I went with my vegetarian sister once.... and it's basically impossible to find a meal where there's not fish hidden in it somewhere lol. Is there even a big veg following there?

You can find vegetarian food cafes and restaurants in big cities and some temples.

Everything here has has pork and/or fish here. Every. Thing.

that said, it is easy enough to make your own food here.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    I'm genuinely just curious about this now that someone mentioned it. How hard is it to be vegetarian/vegan in Japan? I'm personally not... just wondering. There's this Japanese marketplace/foodcourt by me and I went with my vegetarian sister once.... and it's basically impossible to find a meal where there's not fish hidden in it somewhere lol. Is there even a big veg following there?
    It sort of depends on how seriously you take your vegetarianism/veganism. If you are the type of person who won't even eat a meat/fish based broth, it is near impossible, but you can still do it. I have a few Indian friends in Japan who don't eat meat and they're still doing fine even after 5+ years (although, they've given up on the broths.) I don't personally know any vegans, but I imagine avoiding eggs would be difficult.

It sounds like with JET, the biggest obstacle a vegetarian would have would be if their school required them to eat the school lunch. Otherwise, like uthink said, cooking for yourself is pretty easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    I've never been "sigged" before, someone teased me once saying they would, but it didn't happen.

Keeping strict vegan is impossible if you eat anything anyone has prepared for you. Cook everything yourself if you you've got that inclination. I know a couple people who were pretty strict vegans before coming over who had to give it up (to a degree) after a few months because of the difficulty of keeping vegan in the deep inaka.

Vegetarianism or pescatarianism isn't nearly as difficult - but you'll still want to do your research before hand - there are a lot of restaurants that serve/specialize in vegetarian cuisine in cities, but not so much in the inaka.

From what I've heard from the vegetarians that have come to my Japan, there hasn't been an issue with the school lunch as long as they know before you come. The biggest issues are with eating out since a lot of restaurant staff in the countryside don't really get that bacon/ham/pork/chicken/dashi/etc count as meat.

It's also hard to eat out here if you don't eat fish or other seafood. There's some sort of ocean dwelling creature in pretty much everything.
    Last edited by coop52; March 10th, 2015 at 09:41. Reason: f you autocorrect

I was once asked if sea chicken was okay when I said no seafood on my pizza. My friend and I just say there looking at the guy for like 3 minutes until we saw that the guy genuinely didn't understand what was so stupid about what he said.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    lot of restaurant staff in the countryside* don't really get that bacon/ham/pork/chicken/dashi/etc count as meat..
    Yup. A lot of words/concepts don't translate well at all here. Someone was telling me the other day they were having an argument with a Japanese person about whether lions and tigers are "cats" or not. For a Japanese person a cat is a housecat and has no relation to "big cats". You can learn how to say "is there meat in this" in perfect Japanese and the answer won't be what you were looking for.

Vegetarianism just isn't really understood. They don't really get why you wouldn't want to eat anything with meat, so they won't understand what you're asking them for. That's why you'll often get stuff with meat/fish stock in it after being told it contains no meat/fish. A lot of restaurants will just not have a vegetarian option at all.

Also for such a food obsessed culture, they can be surprisingly ignorant about food. I've had Japanese people point at a piece of pork or chicken on the yakiniku grill and ask me what meat it is. The waitstaff may not have a clue what goes into their dishes.

I think that's because Japanese people are taught from a young age to just eat what's in front of them without complaints. Don't like fish/natto/whatever? Just put it in your mouth and power through it. That's why most restaurants look at you funny for making requests for alterations for your food, even if it's something simple like leaving off the dressing for the salad.

Honestly I think that's a good attitude. I think quite a lot of our problems with food in the west come from parents giving into their kids' food demands. I've heard so many parents give the "but dear little timmy won't eat anything else!" schtick while shoveling fench fries into their 13 stone 13 year old's face.

But yeah, being unquestioning in general makes one pretty clueless I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    I think that's because Japanese people are taught from a young age to just eat what's in front of them without complaints. Don't like fish/natto/whatever? Just put it in your mouth and power through it. That's why most restaurants look at you funny for making requests for alterations for your food, even if it's something simple like leaving off the dressing for the salad.
    Hey, I totally support that. It's how I was brought up, and it makes me great.

The difference is, as an adult, paying for food now, I like having the choice to not do something. It's the bonus of being an adult.

There are people starving in North America. Shove that shit in your pie-hole and stop complaining.

On a bloggy note - I'm thinking of starting one. I have a website, but it is currently blank. If I do start one it will not be about Japan specifically. While that is a thing happening in my life, I think there are enough blogs that are ABOUT Japan. I might write about education, language, cultural differences etc. Maybe compare music education to EFL. If I did start a blog, it wouldn't be to fuel my egotistical wankfest. It would be for me to reflect on my experiences, and possibly share them with others.
    Last edited by Virgil; March 10th, 2015 at 10:23.

I kind of was brought up that way, or at least I had to try everything put in front of me. I hate mayonnaise with the passion of a 1000 fiery suns, though, so that was the only food I could get out of eating without trying. I agree that it's stupid to think that kids won't eat anything other than chicken nuggets and french fries. But, on the other hand, denying the fact that people do have personal preferences doesn't seem right either.

There's one of my JHS kids who just doesn't eat anything, and getting him to eat any of his school lunch is a pain in the ass. Anything with vinegar in it makes him start gagging and crying. Yesterday we had some sort of vinegar vegetable with that red rice with the beans in it, and the kid practically threw a tantrum. I hope that it's because the kid has some mental or sensory issues, because if it's because the parents just let the kid get out of eating anything that looks icky, then I want to smack them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I was once asked if sea chicken was okay when I said no seafood on my pizza. My friend and I just say there looking at the guy for like 3 minutes until we saw that the guy genuinely didn't understand what was so stupid about what he said.
    What did he mean by sea chicken? Normal chicken or some poor bird that was tortured for the local pleasure?