Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys do to get through boredom/isolation at work?

Default Re: What do you guys do to get through boredom/isolation at work?

I power through my boredom by trolling ITIL, drinking coffee and staring at the clock. Sure, I've got my Japanese textbooks right next to me, but that's boring.

I want to use a half-day of nenkyuu to kill boredom today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    I want to use a half-day of nenkyuu to kill boredom today.
    But I feel like if I did go home, I'd have wasted a half day of nenkyu to go and do the same shit at my apartment down the street. I MAY have the gumption to clean if I went home on paid time, but I would probably just play video games.

I'd go for a jog at least. Then I'd play video games.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Something something bad knees. Used to be passably athletic and then BAM Osgood-Schlatter f'ed up my knees. Now I've got this crazy knob on my already janky legs.

Thanks for chiming in, guys

Well, it gives people a good idea of what ALT life is like.

You know what I want to happen? I want my coworkers to come up to me with an English question, or give me a postcard they got from pred and ask me to translate it. Or, have me explain an email or error message they received. These are all things that I've had asked of me, but I want that to happen all day. I want translation projects out the butt, and I want people to ask me "why do you say 'on a team' instead of 'in a team?" That's the kind of nerddom I thrive in.

That would be nice. I'm told to "just relax".

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    That would be nice. I'm told to "just relax".
    You're always so antsy, Johnny, you making the people around you antsy. Just take a chill pill. If you need, take a run around the building. But please, for god sake, just calm down a minute.

This is what I do when I'm bored and isolated at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    You know what I want to happen? I want my coworkers to come up to me with an English question, or give me a postcard they got from pred and ask me to translate it. Or, have me explain an email or error message they received. These are all things that I've had asked of me, but I want that to happen all day. I want translation projects out the butt, and I want people to ask me "why do you say 'on a team' instead of 'in a team?" That's the kind of nerddom I thrive in.
    You should take up knitting.

Why DO we say on a team instead of in a team?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCarter View Post
    You should take up knitting.

Why DO we say on a team instead of in a team?
    Would love to. I just think that me taking out knitting needles and thread in the middle of the office is a huge fuck you to my coworkers. So that's why I maniacally type and read lots. I even have my textbook open in front of me from time to time.

As for the question, the answer had something to do with psychology, and that I think at least in the UK it's the other way around. I don't know. I've been looking for the link but I can't seem to find it.

Would love to. I just think that me taking out knitting needles and thread in the middle of the office is a huge fuck you to my coworkers.
    Pretty sure they'd just think you were cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Pretty sure they'd just think you were cute.
    Maybe cute as in, "oh, look at that kid knitting while the adults are working. I wish I was that oblivious and could get away with it. See how she doesn't pick up on social cues? Ahh, innocence."

Maybe cute as in, "oh, look at that kid knitting while the adults are working. I wish I was that oblivious and could get away with it. See how she doesn't pick up on social cues? Ahh, innocence."
    Thats the only kind of cute gaijin achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Hello,

I was actually the first ALT at my high school, so this whole process was new for me and my JTEs as well, and really different from what I expected. Sometimes I seriously feel like I'm dying away slowly at my desk because I don't have anything to do and like I have no purpose, just wasting away while Japanese people scurry here and there around me xD And sometimes the loneliness is really overbearing, especially when people are just having fun conversations all around you but no one really speaks to you. It's been difficult trying to stay driven and positive while trying to resist apathy, resentment, depression, insanity... But thankfully, things have changed (albeit at a snail's pace) for the better! I know your situation is different, but here are some of the things I've done that have been really helpful:

--Have meetings with your JTEs and brainstorm ideas about how you can be more involved (make sure you have a clear idea about what you want to talk about and also present your own ideas). This was perhaps the best thing I was able to talk about how I felt, about what I wanted to do, and get a clearer picture about what I could and couldn't do. Before I had meetings with my JTEs, all I had was a bunch of ideas and casual conversations with them--after the meetings, things became official, we hashed out the practical steps we needed to take, and we could hold each other accountable for getting things done.
    --Construct a postbox to exchange letters and pictures with students, and you can respond to letters in your spare time.
    --Ask your JTEs if you can have a poster board, you can make posters monthly or weekly about your home country. This takes a lot of time to research what you'll do and then make the actual posters themselves, good for days with no classes.
    --If you have a particular hobby or skill (I play volleyball, guitar, and I paint), ask about how you can use it to be more involved in your school (sometimes I help play volleyball or just watch games, I go to the music club and watch performances, I sometimes play songs in class, I join the art club sometimes, and I've started a monthly English comic).
    --Start an English Newspaper for your school and publish it monthly or weekly, preparation to completion can take about 1-2 days.
    --Talk with your teachers about lesson planning for the next year/month/week
    --Ask your JTEs if they need help with grading or if they can help you with your projects
    --Ask your JTEs if they are tutoring any students, and if they need help tutoring
    --Research English camps and promote them among your students, submit applications, do testing, volunteer (here in Hokkaido, we have the Hokkaido English Camp hosted by HAJET, maybe there's something similar in your prefecture)
    --Research activities and worksheets, create a folder of teaching resources

For improving relationships in the office without much Japanese skill (I just started learning Japanese when I came to Japan!):
    --Ask your JTEs if you can start an Eikaiwa with the teachers in the office--you can meet during the holiday seasons when there are no classes.
    --Bake cookies/brownies/etc. for the people at your table
    --Give them omiyage after your trips, talk to them about your trips and ask them about their vacations
    --Randomly give them treats like chocolate or something when you have some to spare
    --Ask other non-English teachers to help you when you have simple questions that can be asked and understood in Japanese
    --Ask club teachers when students will have games or activities, ask them to keep you as informed as possible
    --Share pictures of your family and your life in America with the people at your table
    --Share music you like with people at your table

For getting through the days when there literally is nothing to do:
    --Bring headphones and your mp3 player. It really helps drown everything else out and put you in your own world.
    --Read a book, catch up on your favorite stories (currently going through The Lord of the Rings again hehe)
    --Research everything!
    --Plan your next vacation. Golden Week is coming up soon!
    --Study Japanese (and ask your coworkers for help)
    --Write letters or emails home and to friends
    --Practice origami
    --Go on this website and respond to forums
    --See how you can get involved in your prefectural AJET organization

Perhaps the biggest factor was that I stopped expecting and depending on my JTEs to just give me the meaningful work and the purpose that I wanted. This change in perspective really empowered me to take more control over what I could, and be more proactive in doing what I wanted to do. Meeting with my JTEs and just letting my ideas and feelings be known was also another huge factor, it involved them in what I did and it also kind of bound them to helping me do these things. Plus, I think it was good for the JTEs to know that I was serious about my work and doing the best that I could--it helped build trust and also motivated them to help me. I feel like my JTEs are just so much more open to my ideas now and they respect me a lot more as a person and coworker, and I've noticed that this has in turn affected how the other Japanese teachers view me and approach me as well.

Of course there are still days when I feel like total shit, but overall things have gotten better. This week and next are spring break--I'll be making posters, working on a newspaper for the new school year starting next month, making a new English comic for next month, grading tests, conducting tests for an English camp, meeting with some JTEs to discuss lesson plans for next month, baking cookies for the leaving teachers and helping them move out of their houses, and if I have extra free time then I'll finalize my Golden Week plans, join a club for a bit, or make a new spring playlist x)

Hopefully this will give you some ideas on how to make the most of your situation! Depending on what you like to do and what you're good at, things will definitely look differently. Well, this turned out much longer than I expected lol ... Good luck and ganbatte

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

There's a math teacher at one of my schools who does embroidery at her desk when she's really bored. I brought in my knitting once after observing her do this, and she was pretty amused, but I stopped because I kept losing my place by carrying it around in my bag. This same teacher also sleeps at her desk occasionally, so it's pretty clear she just dgaf.

Quote Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
    There's a math teacher at one of my schools who does embroidery at her desk when she's really bored. I brought in my knitting once after observing her do this, and she was pretty amused, but I stopped because I kept losing my place by carrying it around in my bag. This same teacher also sleeps at her desk occasionally, so it's pretty clear she just dgaf.
    I've fallen asleep at my desk a couple times. I was sick both times and on some pretty heavy sleep inducing pills. I'm always on pills, wow. But anyway, my JTE was like, "are you okay? If you're this sick you can go home, I'll tell people you've gone to the bathroom if they ask." He's my bro, but I stayed at school in order to look tough. Sleepy tough.

Recently though at cute JTE's school I've been challenging the other teachers to sudoku competitions. That fills up time nicely, and I include the other teachers in my boredom fighting.

Jesus, I don't know how you can sleep with so many people around. I must have a sick survival instinct, because I can't sleep if there is another person in the room. I recently stayed at a hostel. It was awful. I mean, it was OK except for the fact that all I could do was lay there instead of sleep.

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

I've fallen asleep at my desk a couple times. I was sick both times and on some pretty heavy sleep inducing pills. I'm always on pills, wow. But anyway, my JTE was like, "are you okay? If you're this sick you can go home, I'll tell people you've gone to the bathroom if they ask." He's my bro, but I stayed at school in order to look tough. Sleepy tough.

Recently though at cute JTE's school I've been challenging the other teachers to sudoku competitions. That fills up time nicely, and I include the other teachers in my boredom fighting.
    Haha, it's funny you mention that. Said math teacher was making some sudoku puzzles for the students a few weeks ago(I'm not entirely clear if it was for homework or just for giggles). When I saw her making them I asked for one, and completed it rather quickly. After that she gave me a sheet of really difficult ones to work on, which is what I've been doing in my off time at that school the past couple of weeks.