Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What do you guys do to get through boredom/isolation at work?

Default Re: What do you guys do to get through boredom/isolation at work?

Thanks, Jig.

As I keep trying to clarify, I wasn't asking for personal advice, but I appreciate the time you spent on that monster post, and letting me know I'm not alone. There is some good advice in there though, but I'm a crusty curmudgeon with a heart of coal, and at this point, I'm just waiting for the next job, really. I have gladly been helping out here or there this week when asked, but otherwise I'm listening to beats and writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Jesus, I don't know how you can sleep with so many people around. I must have a sick survival instinct, because I can't sleep if there is another person in the room. I recently stayed at a hostel. It was awful. I mean, it was OK except for the fact that all I could do was lay there instead of sleep.
    You've never been truly tired then.

I once basically collapsed from exhaustion in an airport. It was a 2ish long hour transfer from a morning flight, and I had made the mistake of thinking I could sleep on the plane so I had stayed up all night before then. Was wide awake on the plane, but as soon as we arrived at the terminal for a layover I was feeling fatigued. Walked around until I found a chair, sat down, and moments later I woke up again and it was almost time for my flight.

I had never slept in a remotely public place until this time.
    Last edited by MikeCarter; March 27th, 2015 at 00:28.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCarter View Post

I once basically collapsed from exhaustion in an airport. It was a 2ish long hour transfer from a morning flight, and I had made the mistake of thinking I could sleep on the plane so I had stayed up all night before then. Was wide awake on the plane, but as soon as we arrived at the terminal for a layover I was feeling fatigued. Walked around until I found a chair, sat down, and moments later I woke up again and it was almost time for my flight.

I had never slept in a remotely public place until this time.
    That's what sleeping pills (and booze) are for on those long flights. The only reliable sleeping aids on planes tbh...

Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    Perhaps the biggest factor was that I stopped expecting and depending on my JTEs to just give me the meaningful work and the purpose that I wanted. This change in perspective really empowered me to take more control over what I could, and be more proactive in doing what I wanted to do. Meeting with my JTEs and just letting my ideas and feelings be known was also another huge factor, it involved them in what I did and it also kind of bound them to helping me do these things. Plus, I think it was good for the JTEs to know that I was serious about my work and doing the best that I could--it helped build trust and also motivated them to help me. I feel like my JTEs are just so much more open to my ideas now and they respect me a lot more as a person and coworker, and I've noticed that this has in turn affected how the other Japanese teachers view me and approach me as well.

Awesome post, and you echo pretty much exactly how I feel about this issue as well.

I feel like for someone stuck in a rut, they may look at your post and be like "woah, look at dis here super ALT, I'm not one of those go-getters, F dat noise", but I challenge people to pick just ONE of those things you listed everyday and try it. Build things up slowly. As the school year is starting over, you've got a fresh start now to drop the lazyness and apathy and be more proactive.

Seriously, if someone did all those things you listed, they would have a tremendously rewarding school life.
    2010-2015 Toronto JET | Gunma-ken | thejetcoaster.com

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87 View Post
    Seriously, if someone did all those things you listed, they would have a tremendously rewarding school life.
    I did all those things he listed my first year because I thought my school wanted someone to act professionally in a learning environment. I became a hated trouble maker for daring to disturb the status quo. The next two years I did nothing but diddle around on the internet all day and be seen but not heard and became everyones favorite ALT.

I know you believe the world is made out of sunshine, rainbows, and gummy bears and if you do everything the right way it'll all work out, but some of us have our eyes open and see the real world where the result of our efforts is entirely out of our hands. This hard cruel world that looks at the best we offer and returns to us at random life and death, joy and sorrow, heartbreak and triumph doesn't care about justice.
    So what can we do then? Sure we can try to do our job to the best of our abilities. Then if we, through pure chance, have things go well, we can pat ourselves on the back and with the smug pridefulness of a religious zealot who believes their deity has answered their prayers to save their loved one while allowing millions of others to die say to ourselves it was our activity that made it all work out. Or we can accept that nothing an ALT can do is of significance and do what we'd really like, which is masturbate in the girls toilet.

ESID, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCarter View Post
    I've fallen asleep while driving before. That was pretty dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.