Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mending Relationship with Supervisor

Default Mending Relationship with Supervisor

So, out of curiosity, have any of you ever had a falling out with your supervisor?

What happened? Were you able to mend the relationship afterwards?

Asking for a friend, of course.

Default Re: Mending Relationship with Supervisor

Your friend needs to provide more context to get decent advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Yeh it kinda depends on the nature of the "falling out."

"I corrected his English front of the students" and "I impregnated his wife" are two very different things.

That said, I recommend the Ben Franklin method. It is f*cked up but it can actually work remarkably well. I had an unpleasant relationship with one of my JTEs when I first started; on a fluke, having just read of the method, I tried it, and was astounded at how well it worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Context is a little hard, imo, since I'm not exactly sure what it was that set him off?

As far as I can tell, it was a buildup of little things. I think I keep offending him or saying things that he takes the wrong way because of different cultural contexts, but I don't know how to solve that aside from keeping my mouth shut for the next year and a half.

I've also got a pretty bad case of culture shock, which I've tried​ to hint at/explain, but he doesn't see why culture shock is a big deal.

Sounds pretty typical. I still say go with the Ben Franklin method. Nothing to lose, lots to gain. Be sure to do it right.

The shoxxx, eh? Hang in there. Spring is a couple of weeks away and you'll probably feel a lot better after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    The shoxxx, eh? Hang in there. Spring is a couple of weeks away and you'll probably feel a lot better after that.
    Ya. My dreams are already filled with spring.

Between the blistering cold, March snow, and student death that happened this semester, I'm more than happy to welcome the new school year with open arms.

On the topic of culture shock. I'm convinced that there is a type of culture shock that happens to new teachers no matter where you are. It can be easier or worse depending on the situation. I definitely had it - full on panic attacks and shit. Needless to say, I taught Satan's children. Then things just got better and it was manageable. I didn't recognize it as culture shock until I started reading about CS in preparation for coming to Japan.

It must be a double dose for those who do not know what it is like to be on the other side of the classroom.
    Last edited by Virgil; March 12th, 2015 at 10:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    On the topic of culture shock. I'm convinced that there is a type of culture shock that happens to new teachers no matter where you are. It can be easier or worse depending on the situation. I definitely had it - full on panic attacks and shit. Needless to say, I taught Satan's children. Then things just got better and it was manageable. I didn't recognize it as culture shock until I started reading about CS in preparation for coming to Japan.

It must be a double dose for those who do not know what it is like to be on the other side of the classroom.
    Not to mention the huge difference between teaching pedagogy in the US (and I assume many other countries) and Japan.

using words like pedagogy in front of a JTE is the fastest way to get them to hate you.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I didn't recognize it as culture shock until I started reading about CS in preparation for coming to Japan.
    Or maybe it was just... stress? From having a bad job? Why does everyone have to stick a label on their feels? So you can legitimise them to yourself?

using words like pedagogy in front of a JTE is the fastest way to get them to hate you.
    Another lesson I've learned the hard way.

I'm curious, though, what exactly do they teach in teacher school in Japan? They have to pass that insanely difficult test to get fully certified so there has to be something ​about teaching methodology on there, right?

Or maybe it was just... stress? From having a bad job? Why does everyone have to stick a label on their feels? So you can legitimise them to yourself?
    Because you need something to blame for acting like an arse.

Oh I'm depressed/bi-polar/ADD/culture shocked blah blah blah.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Isn't shock just a specific type of stress?

I wasn't particularly stressed out. It was just the sudden realization that I was not prepared for the job I took. I would not eveneve call it a bad job. Administration was supportive, and worked with me. It was just an environment I was not prepared to be in, and as such I experienced the definition of shock.

Don't we all try to label and define our experiences? To deny that is a bit asinine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbill1 View Post
    Another lesson I've learned the hard way.

I'm curious, though, what exactly do they teach in teacher school in Japan? They have to pass that insanely difficult test to get fully certified so there has to be something ​about teaching methodology on there, right?
    Knowing it doesn't mean likes talking about it, or that they've kept up to date on what people are taught these days.
    Also are these conversations in english? For the average JTE having a conversation in english about anything that requires specialized terms is going to be difficult.

nobody in japan likes to have their methods questioned by people of lower status. A newly qualified teacher may give you the time of day but anyone 30+ wont appreciate it.

nobody in japan likes to have their methods questioned by people of lower status. A newly qualified teacher may give you the time of day but anyone 30+ wont appreciate it.
    But how do you differentiate methods being questioned from just discussing the differences in teaching methods? Or asking for advice on how to better fit those methods to a Japanese classroom?

Quote Originally Posted by Cbill1 View Post
    But how do you differentiate methods being questioned from just discussing the differences in teaching methods? Or asking for advice on how to better fit those methods to a Japanese classroom?
    In a whir and a click Cbill's drive shaft will engage and s/he will understand why it is so hard for change to happen in Japanese schools!
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

I have moretime to respond properly now, so here goes:

To me, the answer to almost every How-question here is 'time'. Time for them to decide your opinion matters, time to get that opinion worked in, etc, etc.

You want to discuss how the students learn and give your opinion? Ask the teacher how the classes work now, even if you know. Don't overtly compare. Let the fact that you asked and listened seep in to their brains. You can also make casual observations about the students. "A-kun seemed to be very sleepy today, huh?" "B-chan seems to be having trouble, I wonder if she studies enough..." Be careful not to imply that the teacher is at fault, even if they are. Put the responsibility on yourself or perhaps those pesky ne'er-do-well students. Then, let the teacher decide to request your input or compare your teaching ideas to theirs.

-or, you can run in, guns blazing, and fire off some pedagogy rounds at the semi-retired JTE's feet.

U da real mvp.

Really it's not that different in the US. If some new guy comes in and tells them how they should be doing things, most of the time they'll be hated.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Really it's not that different in the US. If some new guy comes in and tells them how they should be doing things, most of the time they'll be hated.
    JETs must be like middle managers and seagulls. They fly in, shit all over everything and leave.
    I've been here, I've been there, I've been every f...where