Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FBI Background Check delayed?

Default FBI Background Check delayed?

Hey all!

So as we round the corner in finding out whether or not our dreams have been crushed, some questions (at least for me) have popped up, the main of which is the FBI Background Check. From what I've heard/read, there is a delay (around 14 weeks??) for these checks. Does anyone know if this is true, if so, did the program expect us to get these checks done prior to finding out the interview results?

Also, what is the latest we need them in by (if we get in)?

- Gracias
    Last edited by hiddenlee22; March 18th, 2015 at 05:07.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddingHead View Post
    A perfect representation of who I am.

A cold, dead fish.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Default Re: FBI Background Check delayed?

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenlee22 View Post
    did the program expect us to get these checks done prior to finding out the interview results?
    Highly unlikely, if so then I'm already out of the running.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Highly unlikely, if so then I'm already out of the running.
    That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure. It doesn't even say the latest they need them in by on the official website (if it does, I'm blind).

And who knows, we might need to know this information in a couple of weeks

A cold, dead fish.

They wouldn't expect us to do really anything prior to knowing the results.
    In the end, they know that FBI/background checks are slow. By putting an absolute restriction on it, many people would probably not be able to go.

If I got accepted, I'd be on my way to get everything taken care of the next day (except for the medical nonsense...offices are busy as hell...all the time now).
    In short, don't worry about it.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosse View Post
    They wouldn't expect us to do really anything prior to knowing the results.
    In the end, they know that FBI/background checks are slow. By putting an absolute restriction on it, many people would probably not be able to go.
    That's what I am going to do. I was only confused because some people are saying that, during interviews, consulates were telling them to get a jump on the paperwork.

A cold, dead fish.

during interviews, consulates were telling them to get a jump on the paperwork
    The people that were told that...were probably those who were given a top score.
    I was definitely not one of those people.

From what I remember from being shortlisted last year, there are usually two different sets of documents with two different deadlines.

The first set, which is due about a month after the interview results come out, is all the forms confirming that you'll go and proof that you've applied for the FBI background check.

The second set, which was due in late June, was all of the health forms and the actual background check. Ideally, applying by the consulate deadline for the first set of documents would guarantee that your background check would arrive by the second deadline, but there are a lot of requests around that time every year and shit happens. IIRC, there were a couple people who actually didn't get their background check in by the deadline, but they notified the consulate and were able to work something out, I think. I forget the timeframe, but after a certain amount of time you're able to call to check on it; I've talked to a couple people who did that, and their checks got sent out the next day.

This is just speaking for the US, but I don't think there are any documents you need to worry about before the interview results come out.

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosse View Post
    The people that were told that...were probably those who were given a top score.
    I was definitely not one of those people.
    That probably varies by consulate, not score, lol. I didn't talk to anyone else who was shortlisted out of Nashville who was told to get a jump start on their paperwork.
    Last edited by Cbill1; March 17th, 2015 at 08:46.

Is there any reason we can't apply for one before we hear about acceptance? Do we need to inform the FBI that we're requesting the check because we're hoping to work in Japan? Does JET have any special requirements? I've done the whole FBI background check in the past for my current job but I actually had a concrete job offer as a reason for it.

Personally I just want to get the ball rolling on mine. I'm confident about my chances of getting in and don't care about losing $18.00USD if I'm wrong. Just want to make sure that if I'm accepted everything goes smoothly.

You might want to find out ahead of time where you want/need to get your fingerprints done. In my medium sized city, they only do them once every other week, and only for a about 4 hours. Which pushed everything else back about 2 weeks. (And the lady doing them was really bitchy about having to fingerprint me at 2 PM on a Friday, even having made an appointment 2 weeks in advance...)

I'm an Australian applicant so this may not apply to other countries, but the letter I received confirming that I passed the application stage and progressed to an interview also provided these deadlines for both National Police Check and Certificate of Health:
    - 30 January for April placements; and
    - 5 June for everyone else.

I gave my National Police Check to the Consulate staff on my interview date last month.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    You might want to find out ahead of time where you want/need to get your fingerprints done. In my medium sized city, they only do them once every other week, and only for a about 4 hours. Which pushed everything else back about 2 weeks. (And the lady doing them was really bitchy about having to fingerprint me at 2 PM on a Friday, even having made an appointment 2 weeks in advance...)
    Where did you get yours done?

I got mine done with the campus police they had stationed at our downtown campus, and the only reason I couldn't get them done on the first day was that the guy in charge had left early. Went in the next day, and was out within thirty minutes.

By the by, if anybody's looking to get there's done before the results, I recommend digital fingerprints. There's much less of a chance they'll be unreadable.

Banned

For the US, if you don't get your results by the deadline, you have to submit a state background check in addition to the regular one. This is only because the state one is simple and quick(comparably) and serves as a substitute until the real one comes in.
    Although it says there will probably be a long wait, 14 weeks is likely a maximum estimate. I didn't apply for mine until I heard the results in late march. I forgot to put my credit card number on the form, so I got a call around mid May asking for a replacement. It was still processed on time. That said, the only reason you would want to wait is to avoid the charge. I think it was not insignificant. At the very least you ought get your fingerprints done, which cost me a whopping ten bucks. Digital prints might be difficult to obtain depending on where you are, but I second the recommendation for them. I lived in a town of 70000 and we had one location that did them. If you live in the inaka then it's time to take a trip to the medium sized city, at least.

Thanks Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Hey all!

So as we round the corner in finding out whether or not our dreams have been crushed or not, some questions (at least for me) have popped up, the main of which is the FBI Background Check. From what I've heard/read, there is a delay (around 14 weeks??) for these checks. Does anyone know if this is true, if so, did the program expect us to get these checks done prior to finding out the interview results?

Also, what is the latest we need them in by (if we get in)?

- Gracias
    Yeah, the fbi changed their system and it has caused a tremendous backlog of criminal background checks. It is going to be a nitemare to deal with because most people are going to need to get state background checks to go since the federal checks wont get in in time. I think it is a good idea to go ahead and apply for one early since it is only 18 dollars. They have been taking 4ish months to process.

There is nothing stopping anyone from being proactive and getting them done now.

Tokyo knows about the delay, but they will still demand the info.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    Tokyo knows about the delay, but they will still demand the info.
    If there is such a long delay, why not just take the state one instead? Aren't they pretty much the same?

A cold, dead fish.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

If there is such a long delay, why not just take the state one instead? Aren't they pretty much the same?
    Tokyo still prefers the fbi checks over the state onee since they are more comprehensive. So basically they are waiting till the deadline for background checks, hoping the majority will come in, and if they dont, then they will rally for everyone to get state checks, which are much simpler to apply for. Fbi checks require prints, state checks just require a social security number(at least in fl they do).

It is much easier to get a state check(and much less time consuming) so, tokyo doesnt want to set the precedent that state checks are a good substitute for the fbi checks unless its absolutely necessary.
    Last edited by miamicoordinator; March 18th, 2015 at 05:33.

Okay, so I actually posted about this issue back in January. You can read the whole thing here:

Traffic Violations and FBI Background Check Before Interview Panic

Tl;dr is that I was supposed to have an FBI check done BEFORE the interview because I answered yes to criminal history (I was mistaken and thought traffic violations counted), but hadn't received one yet.

Fast forward to interview day. I told my coordinator and, although she said it was a possible disqualification still, they understood the situation and realized the wait times had been pretty bad. In my actual interview, they ask about it and were pretty nonchalant when I told them I didn't have it yet. I was told to send another one and keep hopeful.

Flash forward (again) to today, and I was told by the FBI that they're still working on requests from LAST YEAR (2014), well past the 14 weeks expected delay. I've emailed JET about what I've learned and no word yet. But to be honest, I'll be highly frustrated if this is what keeps me from making it into the program.

Tl;dr (for this thread) send out your requests NOW if you think you might be acaccepted because the processing is a total drag. At least that way the FBI check will be here when you do need it.

Quote Originally Posted by simplesam View Post
    Tl;dr (for this thread) send out your requests NOW if you think you might be acaccepted because the processing is a total drag. At least that way the FBI check will be here when you do need it.
    Well I guess I won't be doing that, seeing as how bad I did. I'll wait until the results with the rest of the unconfident suckers i.e. Zolrak and ambrosse

I'm hoping they decide to run with the 'everything earlier mindset' and tell us soon.
    Last edited by hiddenlee22; March 18th, 2015 at 06:54. Reason: another unconfident applicant appeared!

A cold, dead fish.

Well I guess I won't be doing that, seeing as how bad I did. I'll wait until the results with the rest of the unconfident suckers i.e. Zolrak.

I'm hoping they decide to run with the 'everything earlier mindset' and tell us soon.
    Add me to your list of unconfident suckers :P

(provided I get in), If I applied for an FBI check at the normal time and I sent in the proof that I applied, JET won't just toss out a perfectly good candidate because the US government decided to try something new and it backfired.

Edit: I'm honestly more worried about getting my Certificate of Health form filled out correctly by some random doctor because I have no doctor. "How long have you known the patient? 30 minutes" LOL
    Last edited by ambrosse; March 18th, 2015 at 06:48. Reason: extra tidbit