Thread: Help for people wanting to work at universities.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Help for people wanting to work at universities.

As I will soon be retiring I would like to give back and give some help to anyone who is considering teaching English in Japan at universities.
    I currently make around 15 million yen, and have around 4 months off, so I can highly recommend working at a university in Japan.

Default Re: Help for people wanting to work at universities.

How did you manage to get that job? What were your qualifications for it?

I too am interested in how to get a job teaching at universities in Japan. Do you have a PhD or masters degree? Do you teach English or a specific subject?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 DC alternate
    2015 DC shortlist

I have a PhD and a masters degree. I was a uni professor out of Japan for 20 years and then applied to a university in Japan and they dealt with the visa and everything.
    I had a very good research record and I am a professor.
    There are some people who have gone from eikaiwa to becoming university teachers, but they are usually lecturer rank. We joke about them and call them made in Japan university teachers.
    However, they seem to do pretty well for themselves, they usually have MAs and stay at lecturer rank and 5 year contracts.
    When you ask me how did I manage to get that job, it sounds like you are implying I was lucky to get the job, but it is nothing like that. If you have a PhD, university teaching experience, a good research record, the ability to get research funding from outside sources a university will be begging to hire you.

Quote Originally Posted by maitoshi View Post
    When you ask me how did I manage to get that job, it sounds like you are implying I was lucky to get the job, but it is nothing like that. If you have a PhD, university teaching experience, a good research record, the ability to get research funding from outside sources a university will be begging to hire you.
    Not lucky, but in your first post it seemed like you were going to give some kind of "secret advice". I think most of us realise that if you have a doctorate you can get a job at a university in Japan. I don't think most JETs are in your situation; almost all the ALTs I've met pretty much have Bachelor's degrees, maybe a couple Masters.

I have a PhD and a masters degree. I was a uni professor out of Japan for 20 years and then applied to a university in Japan and they dealt with the visa and everything.
    There are some people who have gone from eikaiwa to becoming university teachers, but they are usually lecturer rank. We joke about them and call them made in Japan university teachers.
    However, they seem to do pretty well for themselves, they usually have MAs and stay at lecturer rank and 5 year contracts.
    What subject do you teach?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Well there is your issue. If I had a PhD I would set my sights high as well.

I asked because you titled the thread "Help for people wanting to work at universities". Naturally, one of the first things I'd want to know about is how you managed to get such a great job.

But yeah, I believe all of that. What kind of advice would you give to someone wanting to eventually do what you do?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCarter View Post
    I asked because you titled the thread "Help for people wanting to work at universities". Naturally, one of the first things I'd want to know about is how you managed to get such a great job.

But yeah, I believe all of that. What kind of advice would you give to someone wanting to eventually do what you do?
    We don't know what he does, do we? There's a big difference between a biomedical prof/researcher and a historian.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

I have a PhD and a masters degree. In what? I was a uni professor out of Japan for 20 years In what? and then applied to a university in Japan and they dealt with the visa and everything.
    I had a very good research record In what? and I am a professor.
    Hire you for what is in Canadian dollars, 150 000$ a year to teach English, even in University, this sounds like way way too much (not that I would be opposed , but ... ) With four months long vacation to go with it, reaaaally ?

Am I the only one who think this doesn't pass a sniff test and sounds like someone trolling ?

If that's true, well great for whoever that is, but I don't believe it.

I teach English.

I teach English.
    What help is on offer?

U da real mvp.

Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Ok, so the salary might be plausible. There's still a way to go from ''Upwards of 10 millions'' to 15 but okay this might be true.

Then, there's still the thought of such individual finding ITIL, a forum which by the name you wouldn't know what it's about , thinking he/she will create an account just to say ''Hey I make X milions a year by doing Y and I will help you''' as his first post.

With that said, believing the original poster or not, that post still has the value of making known that it might be possible to make a high salary figures teaching in University, visibly more than I thought possible.

I know a couple foreigners working in pretty nice universities in Japan. They definitely can make a ton of money, depending on what they teach and where they teach it. Working at a prestigious university like Waseda etc...

I have a friend who works at Kwansei Gakuin University and he said they might be hiring. He only has his Master's and that's all they're looking for. As long as it's TESOL, TEFL, or related, you're good. Bonus points to anyone with a focus in EAP.

Edit: Dunno if they're still looking, but you could give it a shot.
    Last edited by PuddingHead; March 24th, 2015 at 03:02.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    I've never been "sigged" before, someone teased me once saying they would, but it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddingHead View Post
    I have a friend who works at Kwansei Gakuin University and he said they might be hiring. He only has his Master's and that's all they're looking for. As long as it's TESOL, TEFL, or related, you're good. Bonus points to anyone with a focus in EAP.

Edit: Dunno if they're still looking, but you could give it a shot.
    KGU is a lovely school!! All of the white teachers got paid out the ass and did so little actual work. It's a lovely institution. Also really pretty. I miss that place.

Oh! Did you go there?

Edit: Or work there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    I've never been "sigged" before, someone teased me once saying they would, but it didn't happen.

Went there for a year. Lovely place. They tend to hire former study abroad students for the exchange program coordination positions.