Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming to Kochi!

Default Coming to Kochi!

Hello!

Some of you might recognize me from early departure posts, I was asked to keep updated when I got placement info.

I got placed in Kochi (AJET Block 8)

Tentative leave date is still April 21st; only just got contacted by my BoE today so hopefully I can hear from my predecessor soon!

Some local things I found out with research: their lightly seared tuna is famous and I'm excited to try it, Anpan-man creator was Kochi-born, Yosakoi was spread from Kochi, and awesome sake breweries. Looking forward to exploring.

Cheers!

Default Re: Coming to Kochi!

I'm also in Kochi, welcome!

Kochi is really cool; I'm out in the boonies, and I think you'll be somewhere near the city, but feel free to PM me with any questions you like! I highly recommend joining the facebook group as there's a lot of social stuff that happens on there.

If you manage to get in by the 26th, a bunch of the ALTs are putting on a play in the local dialect in Kochi City, it's definitely worth checking out!

Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Awesome, you even got a tentative friend waiting for you there.

Awesome! Thank you. And yeah in my email it said Kochi City was my placement.
    I put a request for the group last night, right now I'm just seeing if getting a car is worth it. I have a few friends in Osaka and my old host family in Kobe and taking a train is like 11 hours but driving is almost 4. so I'm trying to balance out how often I'd think I want to go there and if I'd need it in the city.

that sounds awesome Jester. good luck with getting all the details sorted! hopefully we will all see ya over there in a few months.

Congratulations!

Oops. Double post! Please delete. Thank you!
    Last edited by x_stei; March 20th, 2015 at 05:29.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbity View Post
    that sounds awesome Jester. good luck with getting all the details sorted! hopefully we will all see ya over there in a few months.
    I have a month and two days before I'm there actually xD
    I've got to vacate an apartment, sell my car, and dwindle down my life into two suitcases. On paper I feel like I have enough time but I feel a bit worried about time.
    Last edited by JestersJ; March 20th, 2015 at 05:44.

Quote Originally Posted by JestersJ View Post
    I've got to vacate an apartment, sell my car, and dwindle down my life into two suitcases. On paper I feel like I have enough time but I feel a bit worried about time.
    lol, im sure. you will be there well before the normies, is what i was referencing more or less. If you cant get your car off your hands.... ill take a hand me out.... ;p

Quote Originally Posted by gibbity View Post
    lol, im sure. you will be there well before the normies, is what i was referencing more or less. If you cant get your car off your hands.... ill take a hand me out.... ;p
    Haha no thank you! I got a fairly good offer on mine right now (I know a lot of car people) and they're willing to buy whenever since they know I'm not leaving for another month.

Enjoy it Jesters. You only get one first month in Japan. Live it up
    The stuff JET wants you to know, but can't actually tell you.
    www.ALTInsider.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALTInsiderFY View Post
    Enjoy it Jesters. You only get one first month in Japan. Live it up
    Used to live in Japan when I was a kid actually, for 9 years. Studied abroad less than two years ago. XD It's just my first month in Japan in my own apartment
    I think the novelty is pretty worn down on me, probably going to spend my first month sorting out practical things instead

I sold 2 Cars, 3 motorcycles and left my career behind in less than a month. I think you'll manage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

I sold 2 Cars, 3 motorcycles and left my career behind in less than a month. I think you'll manage.
    He also did it with only his left hand, and had to push them all, uphill, to the dealership in 5 feet of snow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    He also did it with only his left hand, and had to push them all, uphill, to the dealership in 5 feet of snow.
    It doesn't snow in Texas. Everything else is an accurate depiction of "The Exodus." I'm writing a book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Used to live in Japan when I was a kid actually, for 9 years. Studied abroad less than two years ago. XD It's just my first month in Japan in my own apartment
    I think the novelty is pretty worn down on me, probably going to spend my first month sorting out practical things instead
    You know your.......... 109th month is always the best I've heard. (yes I needed a calculator)
    The stuff JET wants you to know, but can't actually tell you.
    www.ALTInsider.com

Awesome! Thank you. And yeah in my email it said Kochi City was my placement.
    I put a request for the group last night, right now I'm just seeing if getting a car is worth it. I have a few friends in Osaka and my old host family in Kobe and taking a train is like 11 hours but driving is almost 4. so I'm trying to balance out how often I'd think I want to go there and if I'd need it in the city.
    Osaka should only be about 4 hours by train away from Kochi city, iirc. You can hop onto the limited express to Okayama, and then switch the shinkansen. Get ready to hate the anpanman theme.

As for a car, you shouldn't need it if you're in the city proper, but it doesn't hurt. Kochi has a lot of cool unique festivals/events/outdoors-y stuff, and a lot of the regions outside the city are only accessible by car (or trains with really limited running times). There was a really awesome yuzu festival awhile back in Umaji, but it was 3 hours by train + bus, but only an hour and a half by car. That being said, there are many opportunities to carpool. You can get by without a car, but it's really useful to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Cocaine is a hell of a drug
    I strangely thought of this as well.