Thread: JET Re-contracting Problems

Default JET Re-contracting Problems

Hello everyone,

I have a very unique problem. In January (about two weeks before the re-contract deadline) one of my family members was diagnosed with cancer. At the time I was extremely upset and decided not to re-contract. My supervisor was devastated. He loves me and really wanted me to stay, and I wanted to stay as well, but I wasn't sure if re-contracting was the right decision with my family member's diagnosis. After talking to my family member about this a bit more I realized I made the wrong decision to not re-contract. Does anyone know if there is a way to stay after not re-contracting? I know that my BOE would want me to stay, and would support me re-contracting, but I'm not sure how that works with JET or the JET office. I realize that there may not be a way to do this and that I might have to reapply to JET in a few years after I go back home. But I also know that if I reapply in a few years I might not get back into the program.

Please give me some advice. Thanks!

Default Re: JET Re-contracting Problems

I am pretty sure you're too late, so I would talk with your supervisor tomorrow, first thing in the morning. It's Japan, so I assume he'll be at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

The reasons you didn't recontract are still there. If things take a turn, you'll Flyjin. (I wouldn't blame you.) Don't try to do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I think you are very late in this process to make any substantial changes.

Please contact your BOE asap. Sit down and discuss the situation with them, outlining why you have changed your mind. It's your only choice at this point.

I will admit, I'm with UTIL on this, your chances of flyjining are pretty high so why would they want to keep you on? Also, why have things stabilized so that you don't need to go home?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Banned

How long were you here? I know people sometimes parlay JET into a regular job at their BOE or school when they time out. It's definitely too late to hire you back through JET this year. If you're really serious about staying, and you really think your supervisor is too, you're going to want to press for this. If you apply again in a few years, you probably stand a pretty good chance of getting back in, and an almost zero chance of getting your current placement again.

I don't know what flyjin is? Does that mean break contract?

This is my first year on the program. I know that I probably wouldn't get my same placement again if I reapplied, and that's okay. I'm always up for a new challenge, and the reason I am here is because I really like teaching. But I just don't think JET really likes hiring 2nd time JET's. I have a general interest in ESL and want to pursue it in the future, but I have heard that being hired as a returner JET is pretty rare.

My family member that is sick has a type of cancer that has a pretty high success rate of going away with chemo. After two years of treatment if all goes well they will be back to normal. My family member that has the diagnosis knows how passionate I am about teaching and how much I love my job, so they really didn't want me to leave the program, especially because even if I reapply in a few years I might not get into the program again. I'm afraid to discuss it with my BOE because I don't want them to think I'm heartless, because I said I wanted to go back home to be with my family member to support them during this difficult time. I still want to see them and look after them, but unfortunately getting back into JET is no guarantee and that's what worries me and my family member.

If you're passionate about teaching, then you can come back to Japan without JET.

Flyjinning is a gaijin's act of fleeing Japan at the first sign of inconvenience.

Feel free to try to recontract, but I doubt many people would trust you for a long contract.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

Well, if you want to pursue ESL in the future, it's probably a good thing to go back home where you can teach ESL. The one year EFL experience you've had in Japan would definitely help, but it's still a little difficult getting a decent ESL job.

If it's actually EFL you're interested in, then you can still pursue that without JET! You can apply to other companies while you wait to apply to JET again. Plus, you would be able to apply while you're still living in Japan as long as you didn't mind interviewing in Guam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    I've never been "sigged" before, someone teased me once saying they would, but it didn't happen.

I know my predecessor did the same thing a but it wasn't possible to get the JET position back and he tried even earlier than this.

They actually had the mayor try to find a way to get him hired through BOE as an elementary ALT. It didn't work out in the end but you may have better luck. I think a lot of BOEs would be willing to work with someone to keep them if they like you enough. Could also be a way to negotiate getting holidays/summers totally off if you don't already.

This is all assuming the BOE really wants to keep you there long term.

Quote Originally Posted by REJAPAN View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have a very unique problem. In January (about two weeks before the re-contract deadline) one of my family members was diagnosed with cancer. At the time I was extremely upset and decided not to re-contract. My supervisor was devastated. He loves me and really wanted me to stay, and I wanted to stay as well, but I wasn't sure if re-contracting was the right decision with my family member's diagnosis. After talking to my family member about this a bit more I realized I made the wrong decision to not re-contract. Does anyone know if there is a way to stay after not re-contracting? I know that my BOE would want me to stay, and would support me re-contracting, but I'm not sure how that works with JET or the JET office. I realize that there may not be a way to do this and that I might have to reapply to JET in a few years after I go back home. But I also know that if I reapply in a few years I might not get back into the program.

Please give me some advice. Thanks!
    You know, your BOE can actually hire you as a privately-hired ALT, not under the JET terms. But this is usually only offered for people who have been ALTs via the JET Program for a long time. My BOE does this for people who have stayed the MAX 5 years, and offer them a permanent ALT position. They just reduce the number of JET ALTs accordingly. The only thing you can do is talk with your BOE and see if they can change it so that you can re-contract via the JET Program. Or if your BOE really likes you, you can try to ask if they can hire you as a private ALT, and not JET. But this is a bit of a stretch, since you’ve been there for less than 1 year.

I really feel that you should have just said “YES” to re-contracting. And if you ended up deciding “NOT” to re-contract along the way between February-July 2015, you could’ve just told them. That’s why the JET Program has waitlisted people who go to Japan anytime.

If possible, try to find a position from any other city’s BOE to see if they are offering public school ALT positions. I know a couple years ago, a JET in my city left only after 1 year to become an ALT in Osaka as a privately-hired ALT. Apparently, the pay was better than JET, so that’s why she left. So if you’re lucky, a city might be hiring ALTs that have similar perks and salary as the JET Program. But these positions are usually very private and close-knit, even if they are available.

If you do end up going home and applying a second time, I think your chances of getting in again would be just like any other applicant. It gets more difficult each year, so there’s a chance you won’t be getting in a 2nd time if there are better applicants than you. It’ll only be that you MUST WAIT 3 YEARS to apply again, and not have been on the program for A TOTAL of 5 years. It’s detailed here:
    http://www.jetprogramme.org/e/faq/faq04app.html#4.19

So since you participated in the 2014-2015 year, you can’t apply again until the 2018-2019 JET year, or in Fall of 2017. That’s technically only 2 years waiting, but not participating until 3 years later. You need to find something else to do for 3 FULL YEARS, like get a job, go to school again, etc. You don’t want to be waiting for 3 years just to go on the JET Program again. Maybe, you’ll not want to go on JET anymore after 2 years.

I’m pretty sure you’re really regretting it now, but just hope that your BOE can overturn your decision to not re-contract. There is a chance that they might, but it may also be troublesome for them. If they can, then you really need to be forever grateful. If they can’t, then apply again in 2 years, and try to participate in the 2018-2019 JET year.

Good luck!
    Last edited by richief_611; March 24th, 2015 at 12:14.

Quote Originally Posted by richief_611 View Post
    You know, your BOE can actually hire you as a privately-hired ALT, not under the JET terms. But this is usually only offered for people who have been ALTs via the JET Program for a long time. My BOE does this for people who have stayed the MAX 5 years, and offer them a permanent ALT position. They just reduce the number of JET ALTs accordingly. The only thing you can do is talk with your BOE and see if they can change it so that you can re-contract via the JET Program. Or if your BOE really likes you, you can try to ask if they can hire you as a private ALT, and not JET. But this is a bit of a stretch, since you’ve been there for less than 1 year.
    This is also extrememly expensive for them, as they lose government funding for the position. You'd need to be the Great ALT Hope for any BoE to consider it. To borrow from Scrottbot vernacular, you need to "eat thunder and shit lightning" for this to happen.

U da real mvp.

AFAIK you're more likely to get this position if you're at JHS/Elementary. I've never heard of a HS who use JET getting a permanent position ALT.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    This is also extrememly expensive for them, as they lose government funding for the position. You'd need to be the Great ALT Hope for any BoE to consider it. To borrow from Scrottbot vernacular, you need to "eat thunder and shit lightning" for this to happen.
    LOL! I agree. The people in my city who were offered private contracts did so much more than the average ALT. Yep, you'd need to be the best ALT there was, for a BOE to not want to lose you. Great quote!