Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trigger Warning: eating disorders

Default Re: Trigger Warning: eating disorders

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    Please seek help. That's the bottom line. If it gets back to your BoE that really sucks, but please put your health first.

Obviously they put that part on the application for a reason; EDs are unfortunately something that exist with you for a long time, even if you think they're gone, much like depression or anxiety. I have a friend dealing with a similar situation right now, refusing help for a similar reason and it breaks my heart.

So while there may be a chance that it comes back around... Assuming that the therapy policy is confidential over there, they won't know what you've discussed. Just that you've met with someone.... Which I know is a tough one since mental illness has a terrible stigma over there.

At least start with calling a hotline in your country - a lot of the time, therapists work at those organizations. It might also be helpful to contact someone from home, a therapist maybe who helped you in the past? I'm sure they will be more than happy to help.

Good luck!!!
    I completely agree with this post. If you need help, just fucking get it. Deal with the other ramifications later. One thing that you need to know is that Jet is not the end all and the be all of life. It's certainly not something that should be an impediment to a healthy mind or body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    Guys, I know you have really good intentions and stuff, but it's rarely that easy. There have been times where I'm stressed or anxious and I wont eat well for days. There was a period of time my only source of food was kyushoku, and I could barely choke down half of it. I wouldn't say I have an eating disorder, though I've entertained the thought. I'm just trying to say that it's more than not wanting to eat, it's feeling ill at the thought of food.

For people where this is severe, it should be handled professionally. It's not something for self help books and booze.
    Yeah, this right here. Trying to 'hide' it or get rid of the issue without professional help doesn't always do the trick, especially when it's something they've struggled with in the past. Mental illnesses and disorders tend to go much deeper, and often cannot be fixed with plain "optimism" (or obviously self-medicating). I think most people commenting mean well, but this is something that definitely needs to be treated professionally.

I can't say it enough - please seek help! Even if Japan's mentality likes to claim otherwise, it's nothing to be ashemed of... your wellbeing is top priority, always. Don't sacrifice that for anything, even work.

I see people talking about information on the insurance forms getting back to the BOE and school, but how detailed is that information? Can they really ascertain that you've gone to Dr. Nani-san of pyschiatry for a hidden, long-term mental illness versus help in dealing with culture shock? Just feed them some white lie about not feeling well lately and wanting to "find out" why. I doubt they have in-depth information, and any medical forms they do see will be full of jargon. Despite anything they ask of you, you have control over what information you give to them.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mt. View Post
    I see people talking about information on the insurance forms getting back to the BOE and school, but how detailed is that information? Can they really ascertain that you've gone to Dr. Nani-san of pyschiatry for a hidden, long-term mental illness versus help in dealing with culture shock? Just feed them some white lie about not feeling well lately and wanting to "find out" why. I doubt they have in-depth information, and any medical forms they do see will be full of jargon. Despite anything they ask of you, you have control over what information you give to them.
    The list I talked about had enough information to figure out what was going on. Also your health check information goes through them as well. Sure they might not get all the details, but they could get enough to enquire further, and you really don't have a choice about sharing info with them usually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Mt. View Post
    ESID, but depending on how 'hand-holdy' or controlling your BoE is, they might get. "ALT-san went to the clinic/hospital where Dr. Nani practices on March 25th and used his/her health insurance card." Or they might call up Dr. Nani and get every bit of information they can out of him. Probably depends on if you take nenkyuu to go see Dr. Nani or not, or if they suspect an issue or not.

If you were seeing an English-speaking therapist rather than just the dude at the local inaka clinic I would expect them to have more of a sense of confidentiality. Japan isn't that backwards.

I suspect Jiggs is right. They'll know you've seen a psychologist, but I seriously doubt the psychologist will reveal anything personal. If the BOE doesn't have any information on the session, there would likely be nothing to lead them to believe that there was a pre-existing condition. There certainly wouldn't be any proof.

If you're worried, as the psychologist first if the session is completely confidential. If they equivocate or say no, then figure out something else.

Finally, with all the uselss ALT's out there, I would be surprised at any BOE that would axe an otherwise good ALT over something like this anyway.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

To chime in with my experience, in case it's helpful for future applicants:

I gave a full disclosure of my bout with depression in high school on the application form. I wrestled with the decision, because I was worried for the same reasons as you. Ultimately, I concisely said that I once had depression, got on pills and counseling, got out/off of pills and counseling, clean bill of health since. Obviously I can't say how that balanced with the rest of my app and interview, but I got my shortlist e-mail! I felt like it maybe helped to put how it was dealt with (again, very brief and clinical) rather than simply listing a history? Idk, but it didn't tank the whole application.

why are they so many people with "depression" applying? what have you 20-year-old-nothings got to be depressed about?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

why are they so many people with "depression" applying? what have you 20-year-old-nothings got to be depressed about?
    I don't have depression, but I have friends and family who struggle with it. Depression isn't exactly something they can help by just going 'oh well I guess my life isn't that bad I'm just not gonna be depressed anymore' - that's why it's called a mental illness.

everyone is miserable. everyone is depressed. everyone feels like putting a gun in their mouth and ending it all. everyone has responsibilities. everyone has people relying on them. People who complain about "depression" are spoiled babies who need to wake up at realise the world doesn't revolve around them.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

everyone is miserable. everyone is depressed. everyone feels like putting a gun in their mouth and ending it all.
    Definitely not everyone feels that, I can tell you that much. Feelings like that are why people end up seeking help in the first place. All I can say is that my friends who ended up seeking help are far better off than they were. Saying depression doesn't exist is like saying EDs or schizophrenia don't exist - I would genuinely hope you realize people who struggle with those things need the help. It's no different, really.

everyone is miserable. everyone is depressed. everyone feels like putting a gun in their mouth and ending it all. everyone has responsibilities. everyone has people relying on them. People who complain about "depression" are spoiled babies who need to wake up at realise the world doesn't revolve around them.
    That approach to coexistence is off.
    車庫 B1F

wait a few years.... trust me. once you hit a certain age and you see all your potential wasted and all your peers dead you will be desperate for the sweet embrace of the grave

wait a few years.... trust me. once you hit a certain age and you see all your potential wasted and all your peers dead you will be desperate for the sweet embrace of the grave
    I'm old as F, yo.
    車庫 B1F

then you have never witnessed pure misery

I was raised by an alcoholic mother while my Dad was constantly deployed with the military.

I've definitely had some periods of depression. But hey, I never went to a doctor for it, so I'm sure I'm perrrrrrrfectly normal and accountable.

Plenty of people get pills and help that need them, and plenty get them that don't, but screw that stigma, Ini.

I entertained the thought that they placed me in Akita so I would fit in.

yeah, there are times where everyone feels sad or bummed, but sadness and depression are two way different things. sadness eventually goes away or abates (even if it pops back up again later), but depression is like this constant void of nothingness that drains your energy. iirc, depression is actually tied to the way the brain is wired too, which is what the medicine is there to help fix.

don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people who use their sadness for attention, but not everyone with depression is a "spoiled baby."

Quote Originally Posted by Cbill1 View Post
    yeah, there are times where everyone feels sad or bummed, but sadness and depression are two way different things. sadness eventually goes away or abates (even if it pops back up again later), but depression is like this constant void of nothingness that drains your energy. iirc, depression is actually tied to the way the brain is wired too, which is what the medicine is there to help fix.

don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people who use their sadness for attention, but not everyone with depression is a "spoiled baby."
    I always get annoyed when people are like "I'm so depressed". I mean, like you said, depression isn't actually being sad.

Depression is nothing. It's having nothing at all matter. Who cares if things go bad? That's the norm. Who cares if things go well? They'll just end up going bad later anyway. Why bother leaving your bed? Why bother taking care of yourself? Why bother trying to get out? Why bother trying to get good grades? Why bother trying? Why even bother living?

Because nothing matters. Because nothing will ever matter.

At least, that's what I think depression is.

People just go through a rough patches nowadays, get sad, and immediately go "well I must be depressed". I doubt most are actually depressed, just like I doubt so many kids really have ADHD or whatever it's called.