Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trigger Warning: eating disorders

Default Re: Trigger Warning: eating disorders

But nothing does matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    wait a few years.... trust me. once you hit a certain age and you see all your potential wasted and all your peers dead you will be desperate for the sweet embrace of the grave
    This is why I like Ini. That is the sound of true depression. I mean, it must be. He has over 26,000 posts.

After seeing some of the comments about depression on I here I feel compelled to comment. While many may not have experienced depression themselves, it is not cool to attribute it to a character flaw, lack of gumption, etc.... Nor should we dismiss depression as a sort of "made-up problem." Depression is indeed very common and should always be taken seriously. According to Psych Central, it has been called, "the common cold of mental disorders," not because it should be taken lightly, but because of how many people suffer from depression at some point in their lives. Mental health conditions are pretty mysterious as far as health conditions go because the causes are still mostly unknown to the medical community.

Before I did JET, I worked in a counseling center which treated mainly trauma victims. A huge number of people I met experienced depression at some point in time. I was also always struck by how many people struggled with depression, not only when faced with extreme trauma, but also just trying to cope with life stressors that almost everyone encounters at some point. So, I just want to say how depression is a normal part of just trying to cope with living. I also want to say that it takes a lot of courage for a person to reach out and ask for help when it comes to something so personal, so the individual who started this thread should be applauded for even seeking advice!

Also, there is a really good web site out there that has a lot of information and support groups on mental health. I recommend that anyone who is interested in learning more about depression, eating disorders, or many other mental health concerns check out psychcentral.com. I really like it and think it's a good resource!

Flaw or not, none of the depressed people here are acting like special snowflakes or asking for attention. They were just asking about declaring it on the jet application form. That's a very reasonable question to ask since people with psychological issues can be viewed in many circles as a risky hire.

For all we know they've kept their depression rather private and have dealt with it like a mature adult. If you are constantly sad, to the point where you can't cope, then you see a professional. These people have done that and that's all well and good.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

I would even add that it's the sign of a mature adult to recognize that there is an issue and to do everything in their power to manage it. It becomes a personality flaw when that person uses their disability (yes, that is what it is) to make excuses, or justify their failures. We all struggle with a variety of problems, and depression happens to be a common one. People tend to view mental problems as imaginary, and it certainly is harder to prove them. Sometimes it's hard to tell a compulsive liar from someone with mild schizophrenia etc. It's complex, and personal. As soon as people stop making excuses, we can recognize that people have problems, and move on.

Edit: The whole excuses thing doesn't necessarily apply to anyone on this forum, I was just adding to the discussion about mental disorders.
    Last edited by Virgil; March 31st, 2015 at 14:59.

Obviously depression is not logical (in that if someone lives a very privileged life, they're still at risk) and is a clinical illness, but Ini is a disingenuous troll, and him being such is the one thing that keeps him from that sweet release of the grave, so I wouldn't expend too much energy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    This is why I like Ini. That is the sound of true depression. I mean, it must be. He has over 26,000 posts.
    Plus he's been registered here since 1970. What a sad case.

Hi,
    I lose weight when i turn around. It happens really quick for me a few days and takes ages to put back on. I am always upset with myself when i look in the mirror. But i try to put it on again. I find things that are easy to swallow that you are used to and are culturally familiar with help me the most. Milk has a lot of calories, so do nuts and avacadoes. The nuts and avacadoes go well.
    Jam on toast makes it easier to swallow, i have to have milk with it too or i feel it might get caught in my throat.
    A few years back i was having real trouble eating Japanese food in general, and was even throwing up before i left for school a little, gagging on it.
    Moderation which slowly increases can be good.
    A buy a scales if you think it will help. Push ups will quickly increase your self confidence, and make you more hungry maybe, as well as building muscle slowly.
    I'm not an expert, but i have been advised by many friends who are, and these are things they told me that have helped and some i found myself.
    Good luck,

To go along with this, snacking on nuts is a great way to gain. It's healthy, there's little sugar and there are lots of healthy fats. Peanut butter is available in small quantities in many grocery stores, and in larger quantities in foreign goods stores and obviously Costco. I try whenever I can to drink a second milk if there are any left over on the food cart and if there are any in the school's fridge. Milk with a peanut butter sandwich is great.

Banned

To be young again, and have trouble putting on weight.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    To be young again, and have trouble putting on weight.
    word
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Trouble putting on weight? Ftw is this mystical thing you speak of?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I've very suddenly started putting on weight. So maybe I understand. I don't want to be old...

Me, age 2-24. Could not put on weight to save my life, no matter what I ate.

Fast forward a few years, and holy sh*t; I'm becoming a lard-arse.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

God... my literal plan is to join a gym this May and get in some good cardio for the next 3 months to keep trim so that when I get to Japan, I won't have as shocking a gain as I'm anticipating lol. Let's hope it works....

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Me, age 2-24. Could not put on weight to save my life, no matter what I ate.
    Have the same "problem", a while back I tried "bulking up" a little but couldn't put on the necessary weight....

Gosh, it's been 2 months. What is time.

I just wanted to check in and let everyone know I'm alive and have improved. I ultimately decided not to risk reaching out and have made changes on my own. It's a process of course, but I'm proud to say I'm doing it.

I had some dental work done a while ago, so healing up from that wrote off bulimia and bingeing for some time. I had some tough times after, but have been doing well. I spent about a month or so just trying to eat normally while focusing on giving myself a break; not being so hard on myself. The past few weeks I've begun to diet a bit and purchased a heart rate monitor to make me feel more comfortable and exact with that.

Diet? Isn't that bad for eating disorder people? You may say that, and it's certainly difficult. Right now I'm 10-20 lbs overweight, and the eating disorder partly took place due to the increased difficulty in weightloss once the deficit @ 1200-1400 calories became less. Part of this process is learning to be okay with taking it slow while learning to be easier on myself. I want to be healthy, so the weightloss journey continues at some point.

These habits and the underlying problems that cause them don't just go away overnight, but I'm happy to feel in better control again. Thank you and kisses to everyone that put in a word or two. It's so wonderful to see some of my color (figurative meaning for not being a depressed potato) returning.

That's really good to hear. I just want to add that 10-20 pounds is nothing to beat yourself up over. You've been struggling for a while and right now your focus should be your metal health. I'm saying this not knowing your mental state right now, and also not knowing if you want unsolicited advice, but I'll offer some up anyway. Sorry.

Instead of tracking calories, take meal times slowly. Sit down at a table, drink a full glass of water before you eat anything. Take small bites and take them slowly. Read something engrossing while you eat. And then stop eating when you feel full. Get rid of the notion that you have to finish everything on your plate. It may feel like wasting food, but consider the cost of the wasted food a tax on being healthy.

Tracking calories is a very effective way of monitoring your progress, but when you include an eating disorder in that mix guilt tends to negatively effect your eating habits. If you accidentally go over your caloric goals it could possibly trigger a relapse. Right now more than anything your metal health is more important than your physical health. For the health bit, start small. Take walks. Ride a bike at a leisurely pace and get out in the sun. Vitamin D is a great tool for healing.

I hope I didn't step on your toes offering you advice. I really just want you to focus on feeling better instead of feeling like you need to lose weight to feel better. I hope your color comes back in full. Take care of yourself.