Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: 2016 JET Program Application

Default Re: 2016 JET Program Application

Then I'm very glad I resisted the urge. That would've been embarrassing.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Dude, the reason we hammer in the idea of "lowering expectations" is because every year there is the "ill be captain awesome" or worse "I'll be the next gto " who is completely in prepared for the Japanese education system. Most alts who make a difference do it after year two when they've had a chance to understand the politics and education requirements of their school. They often have a much more laid back approach to education.

This is very important as it is in direct contrast to the current system.

It sucks but to become a weaken at the job takes time, patience, and an understanding of the edu requirements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Most alts who make a difference do it after year two when they've had a chance to understand the politics and education requirements of their school. They often have a much more laid back approach to education.
    Yeah, I think that integrating myself in the system and seeing how everything works is the best approach that I'd take -- maybe throw in a suggestion or two to test the waters and see how these are taken as long as people are open. Either that or I'd hope that the particular school(s) I'm assigned to is/are open about what's expected of me as an assistant or something along that line. It usually takes me about a year or so to get fully acclimated to how things are run in those kinds of environments and feel brave enough to sorta go against any established grain, though not quite on par with GTO.

But in the case where system is in complete chaos, do people tend to just run with it, or try to create some order with gentle prodding? I've seen in some other places in the forum where people have just said that they've just had to deal with it, or have encouraged others to do so.

UK is open.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dululu View Post
    Mine was sitting in an izakaya (the only foreigners) and absent-mindedly playing with this miniature Buddha.

The waitress came over 1 minute later she was back. Beers? No, we're ok. 1 minute later, back again looking angry.

Turns out the miniature buddha was the button thing to call the waitress over and I was pressing its head repeatedly.