Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quitting JET (the horror)

Default Re: Quitting JET (the horror)

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    Sometime last year one of the ALTs in my area suddenly disappeared. Didn't tell a soul she was leaving. The house was a mess, the walls looked like they had been clawed at by cats (I think she actually owned them, someone said) and there was a huge mold problem. The ALT who filled in the year later was left with lots of trash and was told he had to pay for its removal. Bull.
    Welp, I`m not planning on doing that. My BOE doesn`t know how good they have it with me...haha...

Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    I`m . . . doesn`t
    Wai?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Wai?
    Hmmm...Hmmmmmm?

Wooow. At this point I'd save face and book it. No point in staying around the JET office after royally messing up so hard.

Also does your new company know you've broken a contract to try to work for them?
    I realized I never answered this question. Yes, I told them about the JET program, and how I`m on a contract. They understood, but they also had a special training program for speakers of Asian languages in China, and had really hoped that I could make it for that in March.

Since that was not possible, they put me in for the next training session in April in America.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

You know, I don't usually advocate this but you've kinda fucked yourself anyways. I would leave next week. Screw finding a tax representative and take the 20% tax hit as a loss. Call and cancel everything and tell them quite clearly you are leaving tomorrow and things must be done now or never. Staying these extra weeks is not gonna help you in any way, and honestly there's no way to fix this with your coworkers as everything you are to them now is just one giant problem.

And this is coming from someone who's gotten a bit of a cold shoulder from coworkers for bringing up ending my contract next year april rather than august.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post

And this is coming from someone who's gotten a bit of a cold shoulder from coworkers for bringing up ending my contract next year april rather than august.
    Really? I've only talked to a couple about that and they said they understood, with how the hiring cycle goes here.

-or maybe they just hate me.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

You know, I don't usually advocate this but you've kinda fucked yourself anyways. I would leave next week. Screw finding a tax representative and take the 20% tax hit as a loss. Call and cancel everything and tell them quite clearly you are leaving tomorrow and things must be done now or never. Staying these extra weeks is not gonna help you in any way, and honestly there's no way to fix this with your coworkers as everything you are to them now is just one giant problem.

This...is incredibly tempting. But based on my BOEs response to me leaving sooner rather than later was even more disastrous...I don`t know. Plus, I am trying to get things done here in the meantime.

I don`t really know if this suggestion would help my particular situation. You know what they say, ESID...

Dayum girl I hope you like pickles, because you're in a big one.

Thank you for your incredibly insightful comment.

I'm sure you knew it already, but it's just kind of nuts all the different advice you're getting here. There is no right answer because what you did was really not helpful to the BOE. I understand that you realize this as well. There's no way to end this cleanly, and you're going to end up not finishing something you should have. Again, people have said "it's just JET," but honestly it is a contracted position. You probably really should have thought your obligations over a little more. But, woulda coulda shouldas aren't helpful right now, and you're sitting pretty rough at the moment. I hope things work out, but honestly you really got yourself in it in the first place.

I'm sure you knew it already, but it's just kind of nuts all the different advice you're getting here. There is no right answer because what you did was really not helpful to the BOE. I understand that you realize this as well. There's no way to end this cleanly, and you're going to end up not finishing something you should have. Again, people have said "it's just JET," but honestly it is a contracted position. You probably really should have thought your obligations over a little more. But, woulda coulda shouldas aren't helpful right now, and you're sitting pretty rough at the moment. I hope things work out, but honestly you really got yourself in it in the first place.
    I understand where you`re coming from, but at the same time, since this is not a permanent career, when a job like this comes up what other choice did I have but to strike when the iron was hot?

I tried to ask them if I could start a different time, but that wasn`t an option either. After not recontracting here due to many difficulties I`ve had (long story), other JETs, my friends, my family, everyone said start looking for a job now `cuz it`s a shitty market and it`s going to take a while to find a job.

I started looking for a job as soon as I knew I didn`t have one anymore. However, this job which is a really amazing opportunity that`s 100% travel with a marketing company is insanely amazing. Better pay, better experience, a job with a career path... What would you have done?

Sorry, thanks but no thanks. I have to do 3 more months of this contract, half of which is just sitting in an office wondering what to do with myself.

It was a hard, shitty decision. I know this, but as others have said in the past this is not servitude as much as the BOE seems to want it to be. How frustrating it is to be the bad guy for just doing what I`ve been told to do for my adult career. When you`re jobless get a job.

This turned into a rant. I`m just getting thoughts out of my head...Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    How frustrating it is to be the bad guy for just doing what I`ve been told to do for my adult career. When you`re jobless get a job.
    If this job is everything you're saying it is, I agree that you made the nice choice for yourself. But you are still screwing over your BoE. You chose to put yourself first, fine, but you can't turn around and expect them to be happy with it.

If this job is everything you're saying it is, I agree that you made the nice choice for yourself. But you are still screwing over your BoE. You chose to put yourself first, fine, but you can't turn around and expect them to be happy with it.
    I understand.
    I just wish that they could see that the situation is what it is and maybe that we could at least be civil to each other for the remainder of the time.
    The tension`s pretty thick, and they`re not even looking at me. How silly. Isn`t it hard enough?

Look at your post history and the reaction of people to it. There's a pattern.

U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Look at your post history and the reaction of people to it. There's a pattern.
    Wow, I didn't even realize this was the same person. I see.

I lol'd. Quietly.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I don't agree that they are screwing the BoE to be honest. The contract has a defined exit point in it. 30 days notice. The BoE is inconvenienced, and if this were a company rather than a government bureaucracy they would just hire someone else and go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I don't agree that they are screwing the BoE to be honest. The contract has a defined exit point in it. 30 days notice. The BoE is inconvenienced, and if this were a company rather than a government bureaucracy they would just hire someone else and go.
    Well, they are screwing the BoE. Saying the situation ought to be different doesn't change the reality. I doubt the people who are going to have to pick up her mess while managing the start of the school year over the next two weeks care about whether the true fault lies with her or the bureaucracy.

Well, they are screwing the BoE. Saying the situation ought to be different doesn't change the reality. I doubt the people who are going to have to pick up her mess while managing the start of the school year over the next two weeks care about whether the true fault lies with her or the bureaucracy.
    If that`s how you feel, why should there even be a way to exit your contract at all?
    Shit happens.

Next company wanted me right away. I asked for a later date, and there was none. It`s now or never.

I agree with you. You first. You should think about others, but your needs are number one. You can read Atlas Shrugged on your flight home too.

EDIT: I'm actually pretty serious, the last part is just a dumb joke.
    Last edited by Virgil; March 26th, 2015 at 15:30.