Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quitting JET (the horror)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Quitting JET (the horror)

Hello everybody,

So, I`m quitting JET because I`ve found a job where I can travel the world, speak Japanese and use my marketing major. Unfortunately, I was stuck in a rock and a hard place when the company told me after two interviews that they wanted me on board for training...in China and in two weeks.

I told my BOE and it was not pretty (which I understand). They took it incredibly personal that I was leaving.

The plan for China fell through, but the company now wants me back in America for training at the end of April. With my relationship with my BOE in shambles and almost a month before I can go back, what exactly can I do to help mend the situation?

This was not how I wanted to go out, but the situation is what it is now...

Any advice?

Default Re: Quitting JET (the horror)

Wooow. At this point I'd save face and book it. No point in staying around the JET office after royally messing up so hard.

Also does your new company know you've broken a contract to try to work for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    Wooow. At this point I'd save face and book it. No point in staying around the JET office after royally messing up so hard.

Also does your new company know you've broken a contract to try to work for them?
    I realized I never answered this question. Yes, I told them about the JET program, and how I`m on a contract. They understood, but they also had a special training program for speakers of Asian languages in China, and had really hoped that I could make it for that in March.

Since that was not possible, they put me in for the next training session in April in America.

You've screwed your school over and no two ways about it. Not only are they not gonna have an ALT until September, they've got to go through a whole buncha bullshit to get an Alternate ALT. I doubt it's them "taking it personally", they're probably just extremely irritated at the trouble you've caused them. Is this job a sure thing? It's sounding kind of dodgy with these inte. If you're definitely not going to be there you might as well just take your lumps and leave it. You could try and help prepare lessons for teachers to do for the entire next term or something, but I doubt you're really going to have time for that. You've made your bed, really.

I can`t just leave. They need to fill out paperwork.

leave at the end of march. Dont start the new school year. be apologetic. pay for your own ticket. dont ask anyone at the boe for help with anything with your departure. Accept the fact everyone thinks you are a dick and move on. dont do anything to aggravate the situation. People leave all the time and ending at the end of the school year is a lot better than walking out in the middle of term.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    leave at the end of march. Dont start the new school year. be apologetic. pay for your own ticket. dont ask anyone at the boe for help with anything with your departure. Accept the fact everyone thinks you are a dick and move on. dont do anything to aggravate the situation. People leave all the time and ending at the end of the school year is a lot better than walking out in the middle of term.
    I will leave on April 17th, so unfortunately I still have about a week at school. I figure that gives me some time to say goodbye to my schools, though.

Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    I will leave on April 17th, so unfortunately I still have about a week at school. I figure that gives me some time to say goodbye to my schools, though.
    ????? why would you do this? So you are going to go into the office on april 1st and meet the new teachers, a week later you will be introduced to the new 1st grade students and parents, then you will do a week of lessons before mysteriously leaving??? Leave now and dont show your face at school in april as it will be weird and confusing.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

????? why would you do this? So you are going to go into the office on april 1st and meet the new teachers, a week later you will be introduced to the new 1st grade students and parents, then you will do a week of lessons before mysteriously leaving??? Leave now and dont show your face at school in april as it will be weird and confusing.
    I did want to leave earlier, but because of paperwork, things to get done before moving and so on, my BOE actually wants me to stick around for as long as I can before I leave for training in America.

I seriously would rather be out of dodge asap, but unfortunately it`s not possible...

the boe will survive without suffering anything more than a bit more work for 1-3 people for a few weeks. Passing up a good job might fuck you over for a few months/years. I dont suggest people act irresponsibly but at some point you need to accept your are working a temp job and not entering slavery. On the plus side they might hire some filipino ex-snack bar worker on a part time contract to replace you and I'll have the "pleasure" of dealing with their bullshit.....

Lastly, though, I am trying to apply for pension stuff and have been getting ready to go home. However, my BOE managers are giving me the silent treatment right now. It`s a bit annoying that we can`t at least be civil since we have to work together for a few more weeks...

And don't ask anyone from the BoE to do your Pension Refund rep work.

Also, after you leave, make sure you write a letter of apology and thanks for their understanding. That might mend a tiny bit of the relationship (they might not think of you as such an asshole after the fact.) Be very contrite and take responsibility for making them scramble for a new ALT on short notice. Also, a letter of apology to your JTEs/schools might be in order as well. Especially if they won't communicate with you now.

Can you guys tell me what I may need to do using nenkyuu?

For example, do I have to take nenkyuu to go to the tax office to fill out pension stuff?
    I think my visa is good to go to return to the states, too, so what exactly would I need to use nenkyuu for in the next coming weeks?
    Gracias.

what paperwork?

what paperwork?
    Well, since they`re not really talking to me, I`m not quite sure. I think they`re filing reports about me leaving. They also asked my address in the USA for some form.

At this point in time, I think if I said, `Hey, forget everything that we`ve done up till now. I`m actually leaving even sooner.` they would kill me.
    There was training for my company at the end of this month in China that I was trying to get to. However, after telling my BOE, they freaked out and said absolutely not.

I would be out of dodge right now if I could.

Pension stuff you can do yourself except for the second part/income tax refund. Just get someone else who's going to be there at least a year to be your tax rep. They don't have to be Japanese.

If you had actually told them at the beginning of March, you probably would have been able to quit before the start of the new school year with no problems. Leaving a week into the new year is ridiculous. The only paperwork I can see that they need to do is tax or health insurance stuff, but they don't need you there as long as they have your hanko. Just cancel your phone and internet, pay whatever bills you have left, leave your hanko and health insurance card on your handler's desk and peace out.

So, can I ask what things would I need to use Nenkyuu for?
    I was thinking of using my days off in the spring to get ready to go home, and let the office have leave of my presence.

There's forms to fill out at city hall, on top of closing bank accounts and canceling phone/internet/apartment/power/gas/whatever else. If you have a car, then you need to figure out what to do with it, which involves going to city hall and getting forms and filling out more paperwork. You also probably have a bunch of stuff to throw away, which involves having the garbage people come to your place or a recycle shop if your stuff is in good condition. Sit down and make a list. Don't be that person who just flies off and leaves crap behind for other folks to deal with.