Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: When to quit your job at home

  1. #1

    Default When to quit your job at home

    Even if I don't get into JET I have a backup plan to teach in Japan come August/September, so I'm curious about this. I'm really fortunate because I've been open and honest to my supervisors through this whole process and they're super supportive about me doing this, so I won't cause any turbulance with leaving in general which is awesome. Obviously I just need to tell them when I know, since they wanna hire on someone to train under me before I'm gone.

    I'm really just wondering how much prep people found was necessary from experience? I'm weighing between staying a little longer to save up a little more (maybe 2 weeks before departure?) or giving myself a little more extra time to prepare/pack/say any goodbyes/just chill out before throwing myself into working aborad and a crazy amount of culture shock....

    Anyone wish they would've allowed time for more prep or less?
    Last edited by weepinbell; March 26th, 2015 at 03:24.

  2. #2

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    I'm also applying this year as well. Personally I am looking to work until around 2 weeks before departure as well as I could use the money. I won't need more time than two weeks to pack for the trip and I'd like to save as much money as I can. I figure I'll need as much money as I can with the move and everything. If I'm accepted to JET I don't plan on notifying my bosses till late June/early July. The management where I work would not be supportive of a change in jobs for me so I have not even told them I've applied. I think its great that your bosses are so supportive of you making a change.

  3. #3
    Senior Member ambrosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Minnesota->Mie
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    My work knows that I applied for JET and are actually pretty excited for me. Granted it's not a full-time job or anything, but still.
    I plan on staying about to the two week mark or so like Sherlock.

  4. #4

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    I worked a week before I left. I really needed that money, haha. But everything went alright.

  5. #5
    Member taysukidesu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    45

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    My roommate told her bosses she was going to Japan in December. She hadn't even found out if she got an interview with JET, much less shortlisted, and then threw a fit when they took her intern and her responsibilities away and gave them to the person they promoted over her two weeks later. She's now starting her own business and planning on renting out an office space, so I guess that says a lot about her future intentions. Smh.

    I'm planning on working until a week, two weeks before departure, if I get shortlisted. ><

    When I studied abroad, I had 3.5 weeks of downtime between moving home and my flight, which was waaaay too long. Just made myself sick with boredom and undirected excitement.

  6. #6

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    ESID, but I stopped my job a little over two weeks before departure. I needed to move my stuff into storage and then drove across the country to leave my car with family (I wanted to see them, they needed an actual vehicle. I got to drive from the Midwest to San Diego.) For me, it also depended on money - my job at the time wasn't the best paying, and I wanted/needed as much as possible to bridge that 1 month gap from departure to first payday. If I didn't need to pack everything up/road trip I could have quit a day or two before and been just fine.

  7. #7
    Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    I didn't say anything to my supervisor until I got the official message that I was shortlisted, in April, and my last day at work was in early June. The *only* reason I told her that early was because the summer was usually the biggest crunch time for my office, and I wanted to give her enough notice to be able to go through the job posting and interview process (notoriously long at my workplace) so that my office would be short staffed for the least amount of time possible. That, and the fact that I actually liked/respected my supervisor. Legally though, two weeks notice is all you *have* to give, and it may not be in your best interest to inform them so early. My job, for example, had a policy in place that after you had given your notice and signed the official termination paperwork that you weren't allow to be out sick for any amount of time without a doctor's note (the normal policy only dictated you needed a note after being out for three consecutive days).

    As for my end date, had circumstances been different I probably would've worked longer (up until closer to my departure date), but the lease on my apartment was up at the end of June anyhow, and I wanted a few weeks to be able to move out gradually rather than try to do everything in a weekend.

  8. #8

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    Quote Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
    Legally though, two weeks notice is all you *have* to give, and it may not be in your best interest to inform them so early. My job, for example, had a policy in place that after you had given your notice and signed the official termination paperwork that you weren't allow to be out sick for any amount of time without a doctor's note (the normal policy only dictated you needed a note after being out for three consecutive days).
    You don't *have* to give them shit.

    In no US state are you legally required to give any amount of notice at all. You may be -contractually- obligated to do so if your employer paid for your master's degree or you're a contractor bailing on a project you were hired specifically for.

    For most people, the only obligation you have to give two weeks' notice is as a professional courtesy to that employer. Some companies will flag you as ineligible for re-hire if you don't give sufficient notice. And you certainly can't use them as a professional reference at that point.

    But for general employment it is not a legal matter in any state, and it works both ways-- (I'm pretty sure) in all 50 states, the employer is not obligated to tell you beforehand if they intend to terminate you or lay you off. California might be an exception.
    I've been here, I've been there, I've been every f...where

  9. #9
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    Yeah, Starfish is right about there being no legal requirement to give notice. That's certainly true of Canada anyway. Legally you don't even have to tell your employer you quit. You can just stop showing up to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  10. #10
    Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    Huh. I learned something today.

  11. #11
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    If I were you though, I would give a months worth of notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  12. #12

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    If I were me, I would stare into my boss's eyes and say, "I quit... in a month... maybe."

  13. #13

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    I quit like a month before but that was because of having graduation, pre departure orientation (in the UK it's like 3 weeks before you go) and other stuff in July so it just seemed easier plus I was okay for money!

  14. #14

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    I'm probably going to work until the day I leave. What the heck would I do during all those days? It really doesn't take me that much time to fill a suitcase and boxes for a year...
    Oh, and I've already told my job that my leaving is an option.

  15. #15

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    Quote Originally Posted by AyaReiko View Post
    I'm probably going to work until the day I leave. What the heck would I do during all those days? It really doesn't take me that much time to fill a suitcase and boxes for a year...
    Oh, and I've already told my job that my leaving is an option.
    Day before?! That is ambitious lol. Good luck! I'm kind of an anal retentive person, I know I'll need at least 2 weeks to figure out what I'm bringing/avoid overpacking (it's gonna be sooo hard for me ugh) and say my goodbyes... I'm trying to decide if I'll wanna take one or 2 more though just because I might like a nice big break haha...

  16. #16
    Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    224

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    Quote Originally Posted by AyaReiko View Post
    I'm probably going to work until the day I leave. What the heck would I do during all those days? It really doesn't take me that much time to fill a suitcase and boxes for a year...
    I know in my case there were a lot of friends and family members that wanted to see me/spend time with me/say goodbye before I left, so packing was only a small part of what I did to fill the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    If you're expecting standards, you're in the wrong place.
    Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    The key to ALT work is to have 0 expectations and a terrible work ethic

  17. #17

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    lol, yeah, but I see my family regularly and I can pack in the evenings, so it is realistic for me. I guess it would change if I have to move a lot of furniture or put things into storage, because that would take some time.

  18. #18

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    Even if I don't get into JET I have a backup plan to teach in Japan come August/September, so I'm curious about this. I'm really fortunate because I've been open and honest to my supervisors through this whole process and they're super supportive about me doing this, so I won't cause any turbulance with leaving in general which is awesome. Obviously I just need to tell them when I know, since they wanna hire on someone to train under me before I'm gone.

    I'm really just wondering how much prep people found was necessary from experience? I'm weighing between staying a little longer to save up a little more (maybe 2 weeks before departure?) or giving myself a little more extra time to prepare/pack/say any goodbyes/just chill out before throwing myself into working aborad and a crazy amount of culture shock....

    Anyone wish they would've allowed time for more prep or less?
    For me, I honestly didn't need that much time. It's just the mandatory meetings that you have to go to at your consulate, but either than that, you don't need to do much except pack and get your things in order. I'd say 2 weeks is perfectly enough time. And many things that you are required to do, will be complete by May or mid-June. These things are for your visa, plane tickets, etc.

    Might as well maximize your job experience and money-making before you leave to Japan. It also depends what you plan to take over to Japan too. If you need to buy new clothes, buy omiage, etc, then it might take some time. For me, I think omiage is 100% unnecessary, but that's my opinion. For me, I had 9 schools, so when I came, I couldn't even give omiage to all of my schools. So I ended up not giving anything to any schools. Later on, if I went on trips and such, I'd give them something small from my trip, but that's it.

    I don't think there are announcements yet for the acceptances yet, so you should probably wait until you know if you get in or not. You shouldn't stress until you know. I should be within the next 1-2 weeks I think.

  19. #19

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    Quote Originally Posted by richief_611 View Post
    I don't think there are announcements yet for the acceptances yet, so you should probably wait until you know if you get in or not. You shouldn't stress until you know. I should be within the next 1-2 weeks I think.
    I ask because I have a backup plan that I've already been hired on for. I'm going to teach in Japan by the end of the summer either way. Do you know when the meetings usually fall though? Or if the big consulates give you a Sat or Sun option? My best friend is getting married in the beginning of July, if I get into JET and it happens to be on that weekend.... yikes...

  20. #20
    Member taysukidesu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    45

    Default Re: When to quit your job at home

    I was under the impression the pre-departure orientation was during the week for some reason? Isn't it a few days, too? I couldn't find more exact information anywhere via Google.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •