Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When to quit your job at home

Default Re: When to quit your job at home

Quote Originally Posted by taysukidesu View Post
    I was under the impression the pre-departure orientation was during the week for some reason? Isn't it a few days, too? I couldn't find more exact information anywhere via Google.
    Oh I'm not talking about pre-departure orientation, I mean the Q&A session - I'd assume that's also mandatory?

I've never heard anything like that. I could be wrong?

Though I have read the pre-departure is in early July.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    Oh I'm not talking about pre-departure orientation, I mean the Q&A session - I'd assume that's also mandatory?
    The only mandatory one is the orientation before the flight at the consulate.

I got it from this person's blog - Timeline | Memoirs of a Gaijin. She's from NZ, but she had the Q&A early July and then the pre-departure orientation literally the day before departure.

Also on the Chicago consulate website I saw something about a Q&A session.

We'll see if I even get in but this makes me so nervous lol... I didn't apply for early departure specifically because of this dumb wedding... I guess I'll just wait see but that'd really suck if I got in and one of the sessions ended up being the same weekend. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    The only mandatory one is the orientation before the flight at the consulate.
    OH seriously? Okay good, that makes me feel a little better!

I was under the impression that there was a pre-pre departure orientation Q+A session that was earlier (like June or something) that was not mandatory, but if you were free, you should go.
    Actual pre-departure orientation is right before you leave the US.

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosse View Post
    I was under the impression that there was a pre-pre departure orientation Q+A session that was earlier (like June or something) that was not mandatory, but if you were free, you should go.
    Yeah I think you're exactly right. This wedding has just inconvenienced me in so many ways so far (can you tell I'm bitter? lol), if I get into JET... I wouldn't be surprised if it were to fall on that Q&A weekend... because that would just make sense at this point. So I guess I'd be ok either way. :P

I'd like to add that the Q+A session isn't even that big of a deal. If you have any sort of questions, I'd just email the JET coordinators directly. Previously, they've used Yahoo/Google/Facebook/Reddit to organize/disseminate info and answer questions for shortlisters. Not worth it if you have to travel/stay the night to go.

The Pre-Departure is completely different. You don't show up? You don't get you Passport and ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    I'd like to add that the Q+A session isn't even that big of a deal. If you have any sort of questions, I'd just email the JET coordinators directly. Previously, they've used Yahoo/Google/Facebook/Reddit to organize/disseminate info and answer questions for shortlisters. Not worth it if you have to travel/stay the night to go.

The Pre-Departure is completely different. You don't show up? You don't get you Passport and ticket.

Exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't pay to fly out to Chicago for an optional Q+A session when I can easily email my coordinator or ask a current JET :/

I went to the optional daylong Q&A thing in Boston last year. It was towards the middle or end of June. It was nice to meet some JETs beforehand, and we all went to a bar afterwards with the JETAA for drinks & some food. It's by no means necessary, but I was close enough to go and we got to check out the model Japanese house in the children's museum. I had never been to Japan before, so it was neat to get some ideas and tips of various things. It made my flight better too, because I sat with one of the people I had made friends with at the orientation. We had one or two people attend the Boston orientation but who left out of a different city, too. They interviewed near their university at the time but physically lived close to Boston so they were allowed to attend. So, that's also an option if you happen to be closer to a consulate other than your departure consulate.
    I came here to laugh at you.

When I applied they did a drinks reception at mine on top of (or perhaps instead of) the QnA sesh. Got melted and ended up out at the strippers till 4am with a big jolly sort from Carlisle. The Edinburgh JET people put on a really good spread but it's entirely possible it's been been scaled back since.

Professional Fun Killer hypatia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosse View Post

Yep. My (US) consulate had an optional all day info session at the end of June (the 28th). It consisted of former JETs talking about their experiences/advice, and a super basic Japanese session. I couldn't stay for the drinks because I had to drive back home. In retrospect I would've been completely fine not going. There wasn't any crucial information I learned and the drive was a real pain, but that's just me.

Then, on the Friday before our departure we had the mandatory Pre-Departure orientation/dinner at the Consul's fancy house. Saturday morning we flew out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    If you're expecting standards, you're in the wrong place.
    Quote Originally Posted by acpc2203 View Post
    The key to ALT work is to have 0 expectations and a terrible work ethic

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    I ask because I have a backup plan that I've already been hired on for. I'm going to teach in Japan by the end of the summer either way. Do you know when the meetings usually fall though? Or if the big consulates give you a Sat or Sun option? My best friend is getting married in the beginning of July, if I get into JET and it happens to be on that weekend.... yikes...
    As everyone else has been saying, there was an optional Q&A meeting in mid- to late-June, and then a mandatory Pre-Departure Meeting a day before departure. You're going to want to go to the Q&A meeting if you have questions, but if you don't, then you don't need to go. Most people take their parents to these things. I went to the Q&A meeting, but it was basically pointless for me. But my parents insisted that I go, and they with me, so it helped them learn more about the program.
    Last edited by richief_611; March 30th, 2015 at 19:35.

I am thinking about quitting a month before departure. I need a break from working so much and there are friends who are living across North America that I want to visit before I jet off around the globe.

Also, there is a possibility of me becoming an American citizen while simultaneously taking care of JET paperwork, so I'll have to look forward to that as well.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x_stei View Post
    Also, there is a possibility of me becoming an American citizen while simultaneously taking care of JET paperwork, so I'll have to look forward to that as well.
    Omg.....
    Where are you applying from?

I don't think it's possible to be an American citizen while applying from Canada (or elsewhere).

At least during the application process.

I would assume it's the same for the hiring phase, as the visa and etc are specifically given to a citizen of your country.

I'm sure MC or another member could correct me on this though.

I live and work in Michigan.
    The horror of dual citizenship has been bothering me for awhile, but if I don't become American, I'll have to come back to Michigan once every year or six months to maintain my permanent residence.
    Last edited by x_stei; March 31st, 2015 at 03:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Omg.....
    Where are you applying from?

I don't think it's possible to be an American citizen while applying from Canada (or elsewhere).

At least during the application process.

I would assume it's the same for the hiring phase, as the visa and etc are specifically given to a citizen of your country.

I'm sure MC or another member could correct me on this though.
    I think they're talking about dual citizenship? Correct me if I'm wrong, x_stei. Would having dual citizenship become a problem? Not like they were dual when they applied, anyway. That's an interesting one, definittely a question for MC or SF.

Quote Originally Posted by x_stei View Post
    Yes the horror of dual citizenship has been bothering me for awhile, but if I don't become American, I'll have to come back to Michigan once every year or six months to maintain my permanent residence.
    Ohh. But citizenship elsewhere.

Also I don't know if it creates any problems for tax... =/. It's kind of an odd situation all around... =/

AFAIK as long as you aren't dual-citizen with Japan, you shouldn't have a problem. Just use the passport/ID you applied with (and that will have your visa in it) when you enter and leave Japan.