Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When to quit your job at home

Default Re: When to quit your job at home

Okay thanks webstaa!

If you have furniture and/or a car to deal with, give yourself 2 weeks off prior to departure.

More of a question of people's opinions rather than asking for a solid answer to my question but basically, I'm working two jobs, one of which knew from the start that I've applied and been accepted into JET (i've already settled an end date with this job). The second job is one that I literally applied, interviewed and was hired for around the time short lists were coming up. The second job is working for a city (One of the options that I plan to go with when I return to Canada is finding work in municipal govt). The 2nd job is pretty much a summer job (May to Early Sept), and I took it regardless because I needed the money to save up and I don't mind working this 2nd job until the end of the July as it doesn't require much thought process and shifts are short enough.

Essentially my query is when do you think would be the best time to tell them that "I got a job offer in Japan and will have to move effective August 1". My original thoughts is maybe give them one month's notice, to make it a bit more reasonable and to not burn that bridge to the ground. Would that be too long?

I think you should give them as much notice as you can, unless you really can't afford to have them cut you loose early. If you really think that you want go back and work there again, it would be best to not be perceived as having misled them in any way. I would say just be honest. Tell them how much longer you're going to be around, but tell them how much longer you'd like to work there too. Also probably couldn't hurt to mention that you'd like to rejoin them in the future.
    車庫 B1F

If it's the kind of position any of your co-workers can step in and do, then later would be OK. It its the kind that requires a replacement to be trained - then the earlier the better - maybe upwards of a month. See if you can negotiate your last day to be when you want. But I wouldn't be an ass about showing up and saying "I'm leaving next week. Good luck suckers. etc."

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I've been reading without participating until now.

Some difficult questions have been asked, and the answers vary from state to state, country to country. It all revolves around the concept of at-will employment.

If you're an at-will employee, do not give notice unless you have a FANTASTIC relationship with your employer. The instant you give notice is the instant they can fire you with no compensation. Use your power to your fullest, decide your final day, and while it sucks to those around you, quit at the time that is best for YOU.

Now, if you're in a non-at-will employment area, like Canada, things are a little different. You are generally required to give equal notice that the employer would require if you are being terminated. So in Ontario, that would be 0 notice for under 3 months, 1 week under a year, 2 weeks for 2-3?4?, etc... The employer in that case reserves the right to either make you work your notice period or send you home with pay arriving within 2 weeks of termination or the next regular pay period (which ever is shorter).

Now, while this sounds pretty good, giving more notice than your employer requires is actually dangerous. Yet again, it depends on the relationship with your employer. If you tell your employer that you are leaving in 2 months, they aren't required to keep you on that entire time. They can easily just say "okay, well there's the door and here's your termination pay" which can leave you fucked for the 1.5 months you had planned to earn income.

The point I want to stress is this. You are more important than your employer, or your coworkers. IF you leave according to the rules and it inconveniences other people, don't worry about it unless you expect to get something out of that employer in the future. People worry about burning bridges, but if you're in a job with high employee turn over, or something which is unrelated to your carrier and doesn't represent anything meaningful on your resume, don't worry about offending others. In a year or two after JET that company won't even be contacted concerning your work performance, and it will become irrelevant for the most part. There's no reason to compromise yourself for others when the company doesn't need to care about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Thanks for the advise guys! I'm still thinking the end of June/July is probably the best time to tell them and I think your advise somewhat confirmed it.

I'm not so much worried about the current position I am in and wanting to work in that field but rather still have a chance in the future to work for that city but in a completely different department.

Like I said the job is a summer position and its nothing quite detailed. Actually its more shift work that is quite easy to learn. I'll definitely inconvenience them but its not a position that will affect the structure of any project or such. I also had a raised eyebrow about it when i applied for the job I had only intended to work 2-3shifts a week to supplement my salary already. They knew this when they hired me yet the started asking me if I wanted to work 4-5 shifts despite knowing I already have another job. We settled on me doing 3 shifts with a potential for four on rare occasions as I worked 3 days a week already at the other job. I'm slightly concerned on how they hired for this job as they only hired 4 employees for the program, with me being the only new hire and the other 3 are returning. From the start it seemed more sensible that they have 5 employees at least from my point of view to ensure all shifts were covered at all times (2 staff per day, 7 days a week). Especially as 3/4 of us including myself only wanted to work limited/reduced hours (outside of me one wants to work 3 shifts only on certain days, the second is only available weekends and every other Friday. Luckily after a little snooping there is apparently another past employee who would be willing to cover shifts if absolutely need be. So in the end I don't think they would be completely screwed over but at the same time just the fact that they did not hire enough staff to cover every shift concerned me slightly. Oh well. Sorry for my ramblings

Thanks again!

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AyaReiko View Post
    I'm probably going to work until the day I leave.
    Late to the discussion, but I did exactly that. As long as you have no regrets about giving up some potential free time to earn that little bit more money, it's a perfectly valid option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Late to the discussion, but I did exactly that. As long as you have no regrets about giving up some potential free time to earn that little bit more money, it's a perfectly valid option.
    Same here. I actually told my students, see ya suckers - I'm getting I'm a plane tomorrow. Then I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

I left my kids like, a week? Week and a half before I left? Many tears were shed by me and the students. That was rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Same here. I actually told my students, see ya suckers - I'm getting I'm a plane tomorrow. Then I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    I left my kids like, a week? Week and a half before I left? Many tears were shed by me and the students. That was rough.
    Officially confirmed you two are human.

Nah, you guys are pretty cool.

In other news, I plan to quit my job on June 19th.
    Last edited by x_stei; May 20th, 2015 at 04:16.
    Fleetwood Mac sex pants, new band name, I call it!
    Oooh, you know what, maybe just Fleetwood Mac.
    Andy Dwyer.

I was teaching a group of Italian students I'd known for about three weeks when i found out. I will hopefully never forget the congratulations I got from that class when I told them I'd be going to Japan.

You've never seen happy until you've seen Italian happy.
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    I was teaching a group of Italian students I'd known for about three weeks when i found out. I will hopefully never forget the congratulations I got from that class when I told them I'd be going to Japan.

You've never seen happy until you've seen Italian happy.
    like this? italian happy - Google Search

added to my bucket list!
    Fleetwood Mac sex pants, new band name, I call it!
    Oooh, you know what, maybe just Fleetwood Mac.
    Andy Dwyer.

A bit like that, yes...