Thread: How are the English Langauge Programs at Japanese Universities?

Default How are the English Langauge Programs at Japanese Universities?

Lately, I've been looking into grad programs at Japanese universities and wanted to know if anyone has any experience at English language graduate programs offered by the Global 30 (About Global30 | Study in Japan(Japanese university) | Global30).

Also, just wanted to know if anyone knows anything about the University of Tsukuba-English Library Science and Media Masters Program (https://www.tsukuba.ac.jp/english/or...uate/0307.html).

Default Re: How are the English Langauge Programs at Japanese Universities?

Ooh, I'm really curious about this too. I was considering applying to Nagoya Daigaku for a Masters if I get into JET this year. *___*
    A Library Science degree was my plan should I stay in the USA... I wonder how accreditation works in Japan?

What are you interested in studying?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Let me ask a very important question. Why do you want to go to University in Japan? Can you answer this question with both a educational and exit goal? Is there a reason you want to spend 15K$/year on an education in Japan rather than doing it in your home country where you are more likely to live long term?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Let me ask a very important question. Why do you want to go to University in Japan? Can you answer this question with both a educational and exit goal? Is there a reason you want to spend 15K$/year on an education in Japan rather than doing it in your home country where you are more likely to live long term?
    With regards to goals....I'm primarily interested in Media Studies and wish to pursue research on contemporary media and literature in Japan. This might be a pipe dream...but I have intentions of teaching at the university/college level, either in the United States or Japan.

I've been looking into Japanese programs offered by Todai and Meiji University (mostly because they have pretty good research faculty). My Japanese is still a little rough and will get better possibly (??) this summer and next year because of the Critical Language Scholarship program and (hopefully???) JET. As backup, I've been looking into English language programs in Japan and graduate schools in America (namely UCLA, Cal, Michigan). (Librarianship is a backup, though...and I am interested in working a more international setting...)

(I have heard, though, that grad schools in Japan isn't great. Still doing more research on it to figure that out.)

With regards to accreditation of the librarianship program...the American Library Association can't/won't/(?) accredit Tsukuba's program since it is in Japan. However, it is up to the employer hiring you whether or not they accept the program without accreditation I think (?). Open to knowing other people's thoughts on it though.

I realize that; I meant in terms of Japan as a country.
    I was reading that if its accredited through something like the ALA, it generally receives the same respect, though obviously if it's not accredited anywhere it's kind of a loss.

I had a senpai of mine get her MBA at Doshisha University in Kyoto. The program offered classes in Japanese or English but because she hadn't tested for JLPT N1, they forced her to take the English-only curriculum (even though she passed N2). Majority of her professors were Canadians, oddly enough. Last I heard, she works for a kimono-wearing school around Kyoto and teaches foreigners about tea ceremony.
    Last edited by naginataonthebrain; March 27th, 2015 at 06:14.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by naginataonthebrain View Post
    Last I heard, she works for a kimono-wearing school around Kyoto and teaches foreigners about tea ceremony.
    Is that a happy ending?

I honestly can't tell...

I guess...although tbh, I'm not sure if she needed the MBA for those jobs anyway. *shrugs*. Honestly, I probably would avoid doing my masters in Japan because I'm not about the whole "go to giant lectures and listen to sensei as if it's the word of God and if you don't test well, then you are a failure to society". vibe they have over there. Probably one of the most frustrating things during my study abroad was when I took a class that was half Japanese students and half study abroad students. When it came to having a in-class discussion, the Japanese students would rarely chime in and were shocked at hearing the teacher say things like "Prove my thesis statement wrong" or "There is no right answer". Part of the issue was that the Japanese students had to respond in English but even outside of class, during group projects, they were just one collective mind. Eventually, they got better but still...

Now, I totally understand that is exactly the kind of environment I will be facing with if I become an ALT. But I'm okay with having to be a teacher and slowly trying to make a dent in that system (while fully aware that this might not even happen) than have to be a student in it, if that makes any sense.

If you aren't planning on living in Japan, don't go to a Japanese university. They just aren't very good.

Depends on the university though. Either way you are going to see a huge improvement in the next few years with all of that SGU scrilla!