Thread: Teaching English at the JSDF officer Academy. (防衛大学校)

Default Teaching English at the JSDF officer Academy. (防衛大学校)

Hi all, hope you are keeping well. I haven't been on here in a long while and it's good to see itil still going strong.

I have been thinking about this for some time and thought that itil would be a good place to seek any advice. Basically, I am currently a commissioned officer in HM forces. As much as I love my job, I am always on the look out for the next step and I have always thought about moving back to Japan. I was a JET for two years, had my ups and downs, but overall, I really enjoyed teaching English.

I have a fair amount of teaching experience, a degree and a masters as well as a TEFL (for what it's worth) and I got to thinking that my military and teaching experience would make me suitable for something like the jsdf academy.

I still have a few years left in the military, but I figured I could make a start on gearing myself towards an application. Things like getting a jlpt and CELTA would certainly help. Unfortunately, I can't really find much, if any, useful information online about this. Most of what I have found is in Japanese and I am more than a little rusty.

any help or input from itil would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by tedcase; March 27th, 2015 at 19:02. Reason: moar typos
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

Default Re: Teaching English at the JSDF officer Academy. (防衛大学校)

What kind of assistance are you looking for here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Given that the BoE themselves subcontract their teaching gigs, I would be highly surprised if the JSDF did not do the same-- the US military certainly does.

You might want to start your search by looking for any organizations/vendors that supply training services to the JSDF and getting in with them, or boozing up any officer in charge of making such purchasing decisions and selling yourself as an independent contractor.
    I've been here, I've been there, I've been every f...where

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Essentially just looking to see if anyone on here has an input or experience in the matter. At this point I know almost nothing about it, and im having no luck finding much. Maybe somebody knows somebody who did this? maybe some rumour has floated around, I dont know.

Essentially, it's a University, like any other, they just don't seem to advertise their vacancies so publicly.
    The locals possess a peculiar aversion to the bayonet.

It seems to me you'd probably be better off asking around in your own organisation (I'm not really sure what the right term is) and seeing if you can get a position working/liaising with JSDF types. That and what starfish said.
    CELTA and JLPT will help too, of course.

If you're looking for information on doing the CELTA and JLPT specifically, those are usually done through universities etc. Be aware the CELTA is pretty time-consuming (and not exactly cheap), so if you can't get a months' leave minimum at the right times then it could be tricky.
    CELTA - CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) | Cambridge English

JLPY Gaikoku page - List of Overseas Test Site Cities and Local Host Institutions | JLPT Japanese-Language Proficiency Test

I wonder if the JSDF makes use of the (US's) Defense Language Institute...