Thread: Unique American Items

Default Unique American Items

I wasn't sure where to put this, but this seemed like the best place.

This year, I'm in charge of an "Understanding Different Cultures" class that's supposed to compare American and Japanese culture. For the first lesson, I was thinking about bringing in a box of uniquely American/foreign things, so that the kids could get a look at something real, and use that as a springboard to explain some of the differences. So far, I've got my mortar board and...nothing else. I was wondering what y'all would recommending; ideally it should be something commonly found in the States that might not be common (or have a different use) in Japan.

Any ideas?

Banned

Default Re: Unique American Items

Real beer.

Banned

A mortarboard though? I had forgotten that term even existed. I guess it's a distinct difference in culture, but it's only a once or twice a lifetime sort of thing.

Culture is a tricky thing to nail down normally, and it's worse here since America and Japan ape each other quite often and with reckless abandon. But there are a few easy places to start. Festivals in America tend toward different cultural identities, rather than Japan's emphasis on religious and ceremonial dates. Think St Patricks day, pride days, maybe even mardi gras to some extent.

I don't know the age of the class, but childhood toys differ pretty strongly. Even a cup and ball vs a kendama is a different but connectable concept. Everyone has their gameboys these days, but the real basic analog shit is pretty diverse. Think back to dollar store toys you saw back home.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Do they have hammocks?

I remember a few friends from Tokyo making a huge deal about them. Then again it might just be because they didn't have enough space to use one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Do they have hammocks?

I remember a few friends from Tokyo making a huge deal about them. Then again it might just be because they didn't have enough space to use one.
    The Royal Navy would like a word with you if you call hammocks American.

Quote Originally Posted by haitch40 View Post
    The Royal Navy would like a word with you if you call hammocks American.
    Central and South Americans would like a word with you if you don't think hammocks are American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.