Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 JET Alternates Thread

Default 2015 JET Alternates Thread

2015 JET Alternates

Hiddenlee22- New York
    Ace- New York

moonbeam- Washington DC-(UPRGRADED 4/7/15)
    Sherlock- Washington DC- (UPGRADED 4/22/2015)

Valkerion- Atlanta

SailorZoro- Nashville
    Singinglupines- Nashville (UPGRADED 4/20/15)
    tegteg-Nashville

Penguinonfire- Portland (UPGRADED 4/17/15)

Dstin- Houston

Bdn197- Chicago (UPGRADED 4/28/15)

DualTheSol- Ottawa (UPGRADED 4/27/15)

ktamzin- UK (UPGRADED 5/12/15)

MaxLC- Wellington (UPGRADED 5/17)

Barnswallow- Toronto (UPGRADED 5/19/15)

Sharebear- Detroit (UPGRADED 5/20/15)

Figured I'd start a thread for this year's alternates to talk/encourage/commiserate with one another without bogging down the aspiring thread. Just found out I'm an alternate here in the US out of the DC Embassy.

My first impression of being an alternate is that it will be very frustrating. I'm good at dealing with acceptance and rejection but maybes have always irked me. The prospect of getting into JET excites me but not going to departure orientation and Tokyo orientation with everyone else if accepted late would be a major letdown.
    Last edited by Sherlock; May 22nd, 2015 at 01:52.

Default Re: 2015 JET Alternates Thread

I probably have a different impression of being an alternate seeing as how I felt my performance during my interview was laughable. And that doesn't come from a place of self-pity. I would have laughed if I was on the other side of that desk, looking at me. So I am somewhat happy and consider myself lucky to have gotten the alternate position.

However, I do understand what every alternate is probably feeling right now. The feeling of ambiguity can arguably be worse than flat out rejection. We're in this gray area, where our lives are still on hold, one of the worst parts about JET.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddingHead View Post
    A perfect representation of who I am.

A cold, dead fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    My first impression of being an alternate is that it will be very frustrating. I'm good at dealing with acceptance and rejection but maybes have always irked me. The prospect of getting into JET excites me but not going to departure orientation and Tokyo orientation with everyone else if accepted late would be a major letdown.
    This is a big part of it for me too. I'd hate to just be thrown into the wild like that even if the other stuff that the shortlisters got is just basic... its still something.

Either way its more a feeling of disappointment on my end. It is probably in my head but all the people who helped me get the stuff together for the application and what not, kinda feels like I let them down too. Though not outright rejected, its still a similar feeling. Mostly cause the area I'm in has 0 Japanese anything and kinda in the middle of nowhere, and the various professors and what not who helped me out with recommendations and what not were super pumped to send me off hopefully so they can brag and what not haha. Hard enough for me to ask others for help let alone letting them down. Same with my mom, she was hyped as hell when I went to the interview even though I kept trying to remind everyone its just an interview not a job acceptance thing lol. Probably should not have gotten into that mind set in the first place but kinda hard.

I guess i'm happy to be alternate but I cannot shake that feeling of dread that it won't pay off even if I keep putting off major things knowing that I "could be contacted" between now and the end of the year. Jet was just a big chance to get the heck out of this one horse town... actually its like 500 cows.

I didn't put off anything. I went full steam ahead ( I had already started my career before the interview ) I was cast in a musical that was set to start in two weeks before I was notified, I was auditioning for a band (and in the process of recording tracks).

I knew in the back of my mind that I could still get a call all the way through December, but I basically just gave up on the idea of JET. Sure enough, come December I get a call (5 minutes before one of my classes is going to start) asking me if I was still interested. I said yes, with the intention of being able to call back later and say never mind. The more I thought about it though, the more I realized that it was impossible for me to turn it down. I would always look back and wonder "What would it have been like if I did do it?"

So I had to drop everything - and it sucked.
    I am still pretty happy with my decision though.
    I think it would be much worse to postpone your life for a chance to travel.
    I guess what I'm saying is that if you still really want to do JET - do all of your paperwork. Then give up on it (unless you want to apply for the next year). But always know that a possibility of that call looms ... even in December. My arrival time turned out to be pretty awesome too.

I fully intend to live my life, just as I have been doing. At work, I've been going with the assumption that I'll be there in the fall teaching classes and everything else. I'll have to decide what I'm going to do should I get called in the middle of the semester, tho. Yeah it's definitely a gray area and there are always gonna be things you have to either miss out on or risk losing money/credibility for bailing at the last minute.
    For example I was gonna go on a trip at the end of August if I didn't make it on JET, I need to start paying non refundable money now. Some decisions have to be made. Lets just say, I hope I lose some money.

I've been busy with work all day so I'm still processing the news. I was prepared for a yes or no not a ??? Personally I have a well paying job right now that I can make a real career out of. I was willing to give it up for JET because my current job is not one I ever wanted but I couldn't get work in my desired field.

I consoled myself that if I got rejected I could keep working(got a promotion coming up!) and save for grad school. Buy myself a vehicle that was made in the 21st century not the 20th. Be able to sign a long term lease and get my own place. Alternate status makes me postpone everything for a maybe.

At the moment I have every intention of reapplying later this year though thinking about going through this again is tiring when theres not even a gurantee I'll get alternate next year. Next I'll still have no passion for my current job and I'll be yet another year older.

Venting all that makes me feel a bit better!
    Last edited by Sherlock; April 23rd, 2015 at 12:39.

There's still a lot of hope out there. For all you guys know, you're near the top of the list. You just don't know. I was apparently the first upgrade out of my city.

I think you'll start hearing about upgrades in about a month give or take a week when you have the first group of shortlisters declining the offer.

Keep your fingers crossed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    There's still a lot of hope out there. For all you guys know, you're near the top of the list. You just don't know. I was apparently the first upgrade out of my city.

I think you'll start hearing about upgrades in about a month give or take a week when you have the first group of shortlisters declining the offer.

Keep your fingers crossed.
    Johnny thanks for the encouragement. Its good to know there are former alternates who got the upgrade! I think what makes me see getting upgraded as a slim chance is that its hard for me to see someone declining an offer from JET. Its something that a lot of people like myself and others on this site have wanted for years and worked hard for. Objectively I know there have to be some short listers who are considering turning down their offer but its tough to get a feeling of the number since everyone on this site is so passionate!
    Last edited by Sherlock; March 31st, 2015 at 12:12.

You'd probably be shocked at the amount of people that applied/interviewed on a whim, and are no longer very interested. You might not be shocked about the number of people who are going to freak out and/or aren't going to get along with their schools come this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    You'd probably be shocked at the amount of people that applied/interviewed on a whim, and are no longer very interested. You might not be shocked about the number of people who are going to freak out and/or aren't going to get along with their schools come this fall.
    Very well said and you make some good points!

You also get selection bias when reading forum posts. Leading up to it, the people posting are people that are putting a lot into their application/interview. Then after shortlist results are out it seems like everyone was shortlisted, because they are posting the most. Even less so are some alternates. How many people do you see posting "I was rejected?" There have been a few, but it is definitely not representative of the actual numbers.

Default 2015 JET Alternates Thread

Hello all, I just wanted to share my experience with you. This is my 4th year applying, and I finally got it.

In my first year, I didn't even get an interview. It was rather disappointing but not entirely unexpected because my resume wasn't particularly strong.

In my second year, I scored an interview and got into Alt. I kept waiting for that upgrade call but it never came. I decided to stop pinning hopes on JET as my only gateway to staying in Japan so I spent 3 weeks at farms for free food & lodging, practicing my language at the same time.

In my third year, I got Alternate again and was frankly quite crushed. At that point I assumed all was lost, similar to my previous year's experience. To my surprise, I got an upgrade call in May. However, I had made a huge financial commitment just a couple days before, and very regretfully I had to decline (after checking that I was still eligible the following year, since I had rejected prior to placement).

I then began to see how else I could strengthen my resume so that I could be a stronger candidate this year. I couldn't afford the time nor money to get a proper teaching qualification, so I did the next best thing -- I did volunteer work at the library with kids. I enjoyed myself very much. It made my resume stronger, and it also affirmed my wish to do JET.

Fast forward today, I finally received my acceptance.

To those who are on Alt, don't give up, but don't stagnate either. If you love Japan, go to Japan anyway, with or without JET. It will help your resume. Be hopeful, lots of upgrades happen. But at the same time be realistic and start planning how to make your application stronger next year. Someone once said, being Alternate means you are good enough for the Programme, but there were other stronger candidates than you. So rejoice in the fact that you have passed the basics, and work on making yourself a stronger candidate for the following year. I think the committee likes repeat applicants, don't despair! GOOD LUCK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shue; March 31st, 2015 at 13:37.
    Using Tapatalk

4 years trying to get on JET? That's the saddest thing I've ever heard on ITIL, and anusbloat's grandfather just died.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    4 years trying to get on JET? That's the saddest thing I've ever heard on ITIL, and anusbloat's grandfather just died.
    Can we get some aloe vera up in here?

It's 3 years, if you can do math. And it was okay since it wasn't the only thing happening in my life. I guess if ITIL's the only thing in your life that's rather sad too.

Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by shue View Post
    It's 3 years, if you can do math. And it was okay since it wasn't the only thing happening in my life. I guess if ITIL's the only thing in your life that's rather sad too.

English not so strong? No wonder it took 4 years.

Muffy, it might just be my terrible sense of humor, but that made me chuckle. Thanks dude.

Because this thread doesn't have enough salty people already
    Last edited by hiddenlee22; March 31st, 2015 at 21:13.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddingHead View Post
    A perfect representation of who I am.

A cold, dead fish.

Like people have been saying, Alternates (this year especially) should stay upbeat. I know Lee is a worry wart, but the odds are very good that you guys will be getting some good news. Dont let yourself feel bad about it, just one more little wait.

I'll be rootin for you guys still.

I'm trying to stay upbeat, believe me, but it's hard because I didn't get upgraded last year, even with the "good odds". And having to hear "so when are you going to Japan?" over and over again is going to make me lose my mind. But then again, I'm just super on edge because I have an exam tomorrow for a new job and my grandmother is dying. So. Yeah. Rough week.