Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 JET Alternates Thread

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Default Re: 2015 JET Alternates Thread

Sam, are you sure we are not related?

Eluding the whole first to graduate and Mexican, we are pretty spot on.

As far as AAA goes, it's a waste of money until you need it. Like insurance.

But when your driveshaft decides its had enough and does its best impression of a noodle 20 miles from the nearest shop, you'll be happy you paid for it in advance rather than deal with finding a tow in the middle of nowhere. And some of the discounts and other perks can help too. $15 here and $50 there - if you do a lot of traveling, you can save a lot. But it depends on how much you use the services and discounts...

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    According to our resident US coordinators, I believe the first round of upgrades(that is, people declining immediately before placement) all come from the same embassy. So moonbeam got a spot that was declined by a DC short lister, not a NY one or a South African one. So rest somewhat easier about that.
    Thanks Greyjoy, that's good to know. I guess there will be plenty of short listers declining AFTER my paperwork has arrived as well, so hopefully my chances will remain roughly the same, whatever they may be...

Like someone said before, it's hard to imagine anyone turning down a shortlist place since everyone here is so passionate about going. I'm hoping that some of the candidates who spoke Japanese and have lived and worked there before will have applied to other jobs beside JET, and turn it down for a better job offer.

Good luck to all my fellow alternates around the world!

Alternate from the UK here. Was a bit down at first, but reading about past experiences of upgrades cheered me up a bit.

Does anyone in the UK know if we need both the Subject Access Request and the ICPC? Or just the ICPC?

Edit: Just called the desk, we only need the ICPC.
    Last edited by OtherPulse; April 8th, 2015 at 20:34.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post

But when your driveshaft decides its had enough and does its best impression of a noodle 20 miles from the nearest shop, you'll be happy you paid for it in advance rather than deal with finding a tow in the middle of nowhere. And some of the discounts and other perks can help too. $15 here and $50 there - if you do a lot of traveling, you can save a lot. But it depends on how much you use the services and discounts...
    AAA is just one of those luxurious that people can't afford where I'm from. It's a good thing that half my family and friends are mechanics, lol. South Texas doesn't always have things like central air, indoor plumbing, and paved roads, but we definitely don't have a shortage of mechanics and farmers. You ever get stranded, your not more than a five minute walk from a hot meal and someone that can fix your truck. Gotta love Southern/Hispanic hospitality.

Oh, and Zolrak, as far as some people are concerned, Puertorriqueño might as well be Mexicano. It happens ALL the time to my Tío, and he lives in Houston where there is DEFINITELY enough variation in the Hispanic population that people should know better. Bienvenido a América! :P

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post

Word.
    Getting a free tow when you really need it helps a ton. Also AAA members get discounts in so many things! When I went to Chicago for my interview, I got at least $40 off my hotel room per night.

We had AAA for years with our old cars that broke down all the time. Definitely got good use out of the discounts too!

Congrats moonbeam! Glad to see one of us has already got in. Especially since you'd been an alternate twice before this year. Also glad a fellow ITIL member got the upgrae spot. They'll probably take your placement requests into account as well. Will update the master post list with you as UPGRADED!

Since we were both DC alternates your upgrade made me wish I'd sent my reply documents faster. If they're only upgrading people with their reply forms already in DC I might miss out on the initial upgrade window since I used the post office snail mail to send my reply form in......... doh. I thought they were going to wait to upgrade till 4/20 when the reply form was due.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    Since we were both DC alternates your upgrade made me wish I'd sent my reply documents faster. If they're only upgrading people with their reply forms already in DC I might miss out on the initial upgrade window since I used the post office snail mail to send my reply form in......... doh. I thought they were going to wait to upgrade till 4/20 when the reply form was due.
    This scared me too and instead of mailing it in, I went to the consulate to turn it in this morning.

Wait, you all think that getting your forms back sooner affect how likely you are to be upgraded? I didn't think that was how it worked, although I'm glad mine are already in and processed. I must admit tho, my heart jumped when I saw the JET email. It was just telling me my paperwork had been processed.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorZorro View Post
    Wait, you all think that getting your forms back sooner affect how likely you are to be upgraded? I didn't think that was how it worked, although I'm glad mine are already in and processed. I must admit tho, my heart jumped when I saw the JET email. It was just telling me my paperwork had been processed.
    No...but it doesn't hurt to just get it over and done with.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorZorro View Post
    well. now im anxious again... i sent my stuff in and it got there monday. I havent gotten an email saying they processed it yet... yarg.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock View Post
    If they're only upgrading people with their reply forms already in DC I might miss out on the initial upgrade window since I used the post office snail mail to send my reply form in......... doh. I thought they were going to wait to upgrade till 4/20 when the reply form was due.
    I can confirm that upgrades DO NOT work this way. THose who get their paperwork in faster do not have a higher chance of being upgraded. If you let the deadline pass however, that is another story.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

MC, you'll be canonized one day.

Always here to dispel rumours and give hope.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbity View Post
    well. now im anxious again... i sent my stuff in and it got there monday. I havent gotten an email saying they processed it yet... yarg.
    Same here, gibs. Which consulate did you apply through again?

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosse View Post
    Same here, gibs. Which consulate did you apply through again?
    Trying to find my true face, eh?!?! im not falling for THAT!

Im through Chicago though.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

If it makes you feel better gibbity, I do not send people a confirmation when I receive their documents unless they specifically ask me to. I am unsure if Chicago does or not. They have a huge number of people to deal with.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Trying to find my true face, eh?!?! im not falling for THAT!

Im through Chicago though.
    Hehe >D
    Maybe.

Someone asked a similar questions on the Chicago JET FB dealio, but it was more so for notification that it arrived, not that it had been processed. In the end, the answer was that we'd be notified if anything is missing or isn't included before the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    If it makes you feel better gibbity, I do not send people a confirmation when I receive their documents unless they specifically ask me to. I am unsure if Chicago does or not. They have a huge number of people to deal with.
    Yeah, if i get super antsy, i will just ask in our Facebook group or send them a quick private message. Not huge. Thanks for the reassurance though MC, you still da bomb.

And thanks Ambrosse, i hadnt seen that posted. I kinda stopped reading the questions and stuff for the most part cuz they were all having to do with background checks.... lost my attention.
    Last edited by gibbity; April 9th, 2015 at 02:57.

Ambrosse, gibbity y'all suck. Mine has been in transit for over 3 days and I'm literally 30min outside the city... USPS told me it shouldn't be taking that long, so they put in a report, but if it doesn't get there by tomorrow, I'll probably email the coordinator to ask if maybe they've gotten it and the tracking is just being stupid. If not, I guess I'll wait a little longer before hand-delivering it...

Ps MC, do you happen to have any idea if the FBI is a PO box...? I don't know who else to ask... I know it doesn't say PO box anywhere on the address, but my stuff has been sitting in the post office in Clarksburg since Monday. The USPS said it's probably because someone comes and picks it up every so often, but I'm getting paranoid it's going to be stuck in post office limbo because it's certified and they can't find anyone at the FBI to sign off on it or something. :/

So paranoid about all this! Come on USPS!