Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Driving...

Default Re: Diving...

Sorry guys, to be clear - if I've put down that I can't drive/don't have a license (which I don't), is there any chance of me getting placed in a location that requires a car? It'd be real killer if I have to walk 10 miles to my school every day.

Perhaps you wouldn't NEED a car to get to schools, but to get around in life in general you might need it. I live in a pretty inconvenient place without a car, and it kind of blows.

I've known people in driving placements who didn't drive. They were picked up and dropped off by someone from the board of education. One of the disadvantages was that they were not free to stay late (which you may actually end up wanting to do) or choose your own time to wake up. One person I know was picked up promptly at 7:30 AM and arrived at work around 7:50, despite not being expected to arrive until 8:30. If you get a placement with a long commute, but still don't want to drive, they will likely try to accommodate you.

I can't comment on the likelihood of you being placed somewhere like that. My comments are for your information, in case you do have that happen.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; April 2nd, 2015 at 10:50.
    車庫 B1F

Right, that makes sense, thanks. Here's hoping I'm not that unlucky.

For the record, they didn't hate life. Townspeople helped a lot, and totally didn't mind being used for rides. Generally, the population and density are inversely related to how much the people want to know and help you. If you're somewhere remote, your neighbors will likely bring you persimmons and take you places.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    For the record, they didn't hate life. Townspeople helped a lot, and totally didn't mind being used for rides. Generally, the population and density are inversely related to how much the people want to know and help you. If you're somewhere remote, your neighbors will likely bring you persimmons and take you places.
    Yeah, this is actually something I miss out on. The locals are pretty used to foreigners around here, and I don't have a lot of strangers approaching me just to chat. I do get the awkward stares though.

Thanks guys, it's nice to get some insight. I'm definitely putting 'not willing' on my reply form, but since Tokyo knows I have a license/that option implies I have a license, I'm obviously gonna be open to the possibility. Having to commute 30min to work in the Chicago suburbs right now is a nightmare for me. I honestly prefer taking public transportation and that's been something I've known about myself for a loooong time. If I end with a shitty public transportation location, yeah.. I'll probably cave. But if I say I'm willing and end up with a car placement, I'll prob kick myself in the face for not being honest with myself, ya know... I guess I would ideally like the option of trying out public transportation/seeing if I get a good placement for it before committing to a car.

Banned

Lorenzo, why don't you have a license? Are you entirely unwilling to learn how to drive?

No, I can't afford it, and there was little point while at University. I'll learn eventually.

Banned

I don't know how much it costs to just take a course and get a license where you are now. I don't think it would cost more than $100 or so, and maybe considerably less than that(I realize you mean you couldn't afford to own a car, I'm just noting for reference). According to knowledgable people at this very website, getting a license in japan without one in your home country costs approximately 300000¥. If you think there's even a chance you'd find yourself wanting to drive in your placement, get your license now.

Uh, maybe in the US it only costs $100, but it costs far, far more than that to get your license in the UK. All in all it'd cost several hundred pounds, probably over half a grand - and I might not even pass first time. I don't have that kind of money, especially not now that I'm going to Japan. I also don't have the time since I'm finishing up my degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    Uh, maybe in the US it only costs $100, but it costs far, far more than that to get your license in the UK. All in all it'd cost several hundred pounds, probably over half a grand - and I might not even pass first time. I don't have that kind of money, especially not now that I'm going to Japan. I also don't have the time since I'm finishing up my degree.
    At any rate, it's MUCH cheaper to get your home license first - probably by an order of magnitude. Although AFAIK your SOL as far as transferring licenses at this point. You have to have had your license for 6 months to get it converted.

If you don't have a license now, there isn't much you can do about it - I hope you marked it correctly on the application/reply form. If you are placed somewhere that requires a car, your CO or schools should work something out.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    Lorenzo, why don't you have a license? Are you entirely unwilling to learn how to drive?
    In many countries it's nothing abnormal not to know how to drive.........

I appreciate the input, but there wasn't anything I was going to do about it, though, because as I've said, I can't drive and I can't afford to learn. My question was whether or not you can still get placed in a driving-only area without a license, which Bif kindly answered. Obviously I marked it correctly, because I don't drive.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxLC View Post
    Roughly what % of placements require driving and of those are you required to get the car yourself/are they provided? Also I heard some people have their petrol paid for them, is this common for JET drivers?
    In my last school, I received a transportation subsidy from my visit school. It was not substantial, but it was nice and quite fair. You almost certainly won't get your "petrol paid for" you, but you may receive some sort of subsidy if your placement requires a long commute. I can't speak for percentages. ESID, still, unfortunately.

I've not known anyone in my prefecture whose car was provided by the BoE. I would say that it's less common. Even if this was an option, I probably wouldn't care much for it, as I would assume there would be pretty severe restrictions on usage (only to work functions, mileage limits, that sorta stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by Moso View Post
    Also, most people rent a car rather than buy one.
    Speak for your own Japan. I only know two people who rent/lease vehicles in my prefecture, and they're both paying significantly more per year than MG and I paid for our cars (and ours are pretty decent vehicles with low kms on the clock; we should be able to sell them easily when we leave). It depends on what sort of vehicle you want, how much you can pay, and when, and there are definitely some advantages to leasing (no worries about taxes, tire changes free and done for you, possibly lower maintenance costs), but ownership works best for me and most folks I know.

Driving opens the country up to you. If it's something to do with fear or not being a good driver, remember that speed limits in Japan are horribly low, and the chances of an injury collision are super slim. If it's a money thing, try to offset costs in your head. Buses and trains cost money too. Taxis cost a lot. Yeah, you'll spend money to drive, but it comes with tons of benefits like being able to go anywhere you want and being able to come and go as you please. You might find yourself in a place where the train comes once an hour, or even less frequently than that... or like me, a place where there is no train. So I suggest keeping it in the back of your head that driving might enrich your experience, rather than be a burden.
    word

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    Afraid of getting stabbed or robbed in a taxi? Did you live in Caracas, Texas?
    Yeah, that confused me, too. I've lived in Texas my whole life and have never heard of anyone having any of those sorts of issues with taxis. I'm not saying it's never happened, but wtaf.

Sometimes, though, the nice people who drive you around do kinda end up viewing you as an rather incapable doofus and a mild burden, so keep that in mind if you plan on depending upon the kindness of others for transportation on a constant basis.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    At any rate, it's MUCH cheaper to get your home license first - probably by an order of magnitude. Although AFAIK your SOL as far as transferring licenses at this point. You have to have had your license for 6 months to get it converted.
    Nah, it's only 90 days, actually, although there may be some "trial license" thing that the UK has going on that I'm not aware of that will complicate matters.

So, those of you who are in the US, though... GET YOUR LICENSE NOW. You only have until about the end of this month, maybe sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Moso View Post
    In many countries it's nothing abnormal not to know how to drive.........
    True, but in the US, if you're 20+ years old and can't drive, people will sometimes judge you to be incapable or incompetent somehow. Both views are legitimate in different ways. I'm very sympathetic to folks from the UK or Japan, for example, where licensing is expensive and complicated. I view US citizens who haven't bothered to learn to drive and get licensed in the same manner as I view illiterate people or people who don't know how to use a microwave.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Sometimes, though, the nice people who drive you around do kinda end up viewing you as an rather incapable doofus and a mild burden, so keep that in mind if you plan on depending upon the kindness of others for transportation on a constant basis.
    Word.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; April 2nd, 2015 at 14:04.
    車庫 B1F

Default Re: Driving...

So, those of you who are in the US, though... GET YOUR LICENSE NOW. You only have until about the end of this month, maybe sooner.
    Only until the end of the month? I was planning on getting a license in July and using one of those AAA foreign driving permits.

If US JETs need them by this month that could be a problem for me as I am on the other side of the world until July...

You're Texas might not be my Texas. I was exaggerating slightly.

Still, the area I chose to live in before moving was very dangerous. It was a really small town with some of the most gang activity anywhere I've ever lived. I could have lived in my hometown which was only 30 minutes away, but the oil field boom drove up the rent prices so high I wasn't willing to pay it. So I basically lived in the ghetto, where I'd hear nightly gunshots. In the city you would at least have a police force to speak of. This place... the police force was just another thug group.
    Last edited by Virgil; April 2nd, 2015 at 15:07.

Quote Originally Posted by vaterross View Post
    Only until the end of the month? I was planning on getting a license in July and using one of those AAA foreign driving permits.

If US JETs need them by this month that could be a problem for me as I am on the other side of the world until July...
    If you're only planning on staying one year, you'll be just fine.

If you're planning on staying longer than one year, you will be ineligible to convert your license to a Japanese license if you held your US license for less than 90 days (while still residing in the country). You'll have to go through the Japanese licensing procedure from the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    This place... the police force was just another thug group.
    So just like everywhere in america.