Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Driving...

Default Re: Driving...

You need to get it in your home country.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    Can you just apply for your IDP whenever, wherever, or is it a good idea to just get it before leaving? Even if I'm not driving at first, I do wanna be prepared if I change my mind - I've heard getting your IDP is super easy anyway, right? Just wondering if it's something I have to do in the states.
    If you're from the US, you do it at the local Triple A. It costs $15 and isn't a matter of "applying;" you just pay the fee and you get the license. Get it post-dated for the date that you'll actually land in Japan--maybe a day or two after. It's valid for exactly one year--either one year after it was issued (hence the post-date) or one year from the date upon which you land in Japan; whichever comes FIRST. There is no way to get away with more than one year from your IDP. I personally recommend that you drive on your IDP for as long as possible--speeding tickets and moving violations don't seem to transfer from your IDP to your J-license, so you might as well make the most of this fact.

If you happen to be out of the US, it is actually possible to get it by mail.

If you happen to have a motorcycle license, make sure they stamp your license appropriately. It is technically illegal to operate a motorbike--even under 50cc--in Japan with an IDP unless you have the motorcycle endorsement stamped.
    Last edited by word; April 3rd, 2015 at 22:54.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Hate to be a Debbie downer but speaking from experience unless you buy a large off-roader a car won't help you in a disaster as the roads will all be fucked.
    I had a different experience.
    車庫 B1F

I agree with word that having a license doesn't equal owning a car (speaking of the US only). If you are ridding or out with someone and they begin to have a medical emergency, it would be nice if you could drive the vehicle to get them help. I have been in this situation. And if you hold any notions that your driving friends don't occasionally hold animosity towards you because you can't take your turn driving when you all go out or on road trips, then you're delusional. Everyone who is on the road everyday does not need to be, but you should be able to pull your weight as an adult.
    Also, we discovered last year that the passport office is funny about the types of identification they will accept (no learner's permit with all your info, but yes to a student id with no info).

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    If you're from the US, you do it at the local Triple A. It costs $15 and isn't a matter of "applying;" you just pay the fee and you get the license. Get it post-dated for the date that you'll actually land in Japan--maybe a day or two after. It's valid for exactly one year--either one year after it was issued (hence the post-date) or one year from the date upon which you land in Japan; whichever comes FIRST. There is no way to get away with more than one year from your IDP. I personally recommend that you drive on your IDP for as long as possible--speeding tickets and moving violations don't seem to transfer from your IDP to your J-license, so you might as well make the most of this fact.

If you happen to be out of the US, it is actually possible to get it by mail.

If you happen to have a motorcycle license, make sure they stamp your license appropriately. It is technically illegal to operate a motorbike--even under 50cc--in Japan with an IDP unless you have the motorcycle endorsement stamped.
    In summary, get you IDP dated the day you arrive in the country. And don't do anything that could get you a ticket.

Although if you have tickets on your IDP, your license center might make it a bit hard on you (asking why you did what you did over and over) when you get your license changed, similarly if you have any major violations on your home country license.

Just make sure you get your Japanese license before your one year is up. Otherwise you'll have issues getting to the license center, as there tends to only be one per prefecture that does license transfers, although that probably depends on what prefecture you're in.

Don't tell them/give them your driving history from your home country. Tell them that you've nevar evar had a moving violation or been involved in an accident evar. Also, when they ask about your driver's education, talk it up. Make it sound long, difficult, and thorough and involved extremely strict training and testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.