Thread: Critical Language Scholarship recipients who were also short listed for JET?

Default Critical Language Scholarship recipients who were also short listed for JET?

Checking to see who else out there might have a slight overlap between the CLS program and JET.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Default Re: Critical Language Scholarship recipients who were also short listed for JET?

Quote Originally Posted by jetting? View Post
    Checking to see who else out there might have a slight overlap between the CLS program and JET.
    There are a couple out there between the different u.s. consulates.

We are asking to see if there is anyway to help you guys do both cls and jet tokyo orientation, but this has happened before and the answer was no in the past

Ultimately the other people in this same situation had to choose.

Like i said though, we have not received an answer yet for this year, but in other years these requests were rejected.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Default Re: Critical Language Scholarship recipients who were also short listed for JET?

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    There are a couple out there between the different u.s. consulates.

We are asking to see if there is anyway to help you guys do both cls and jet tokyo orientation, but this has happened before and the answer was no in the past

Ultimately the other people in this same situation had to choose.

Like i said though, we have not received an answer yet for this year, but in other years these requests were rejected.
    Oh no! Ahh...thanks MC. Guess I gotta prep for deciding...

Sorry to bother the coordinators about this! Do you think it is entirely hopeless or if there is anything we (the recipients) can do to help?
    Last edited by jetting?; April 1st, 2015 at 11:06.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetting? View Post
    Oh no! Ahh...thanks MC. Guess I gotta prep for deciding...

Sorry to bother the coordinators about this! Do you think it is entirely hopeless or if there is anything we (the recipients) can do to help?
    We just got the official word back from Tokyo today about this. Its a no-go, sorry

You all should be hearing officially from your coordinators, but they are not flexible about this at all. Sorry guys
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Ah....Thank you for all your help MC! I am sorry to have bothered you with this...

There are a decent amount of people accepted onto CLS this year. It may be that if you bombard the CLS office with requests to somehow leave early that they'll granted it...but be aware that when programs are run by the government like this, there's little room for change. Heck, any large scale international program, privately or publicly run, is on its own schedule with its own deadlines, and it's usually not possible to change any part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JET ProgramCoordinator SF View Post
    There are a decent amount of people accepted onto CLS this year. It may be that if you bombard the CLS office with requests to somehow leave early that they'll granted it...but be aware that when programs are run by the government like this, there's little room for change. Heck, any large scale international program, privately or publicly run, is on its own schedule with its own deadlines, and it's usually not possible to change any part of it.
    Uwah! Will try (though I'm starting to feel bad for all the trouble I've already caused to the CLS coordinator....)

Would it be possible to know how many people are having this problem? I've been trying to find out by posting here, on facebook and reddit...but so far I still only know of my classmate.

Thanks again SF! You've been super helpful this whole time.

Unfortunately it's not like we know the numbers either. I'm guessing there's at least 6 people. Not sure how big the program is it's hard to say. There's likely a lot of overlap though as the same people who applied to one program likely applied to the other.

Got it. Ahhh-Will check with CLS again. From what he said in the last email, there did seem to be other people who had the same issue.

Also, again thanks and apologies for making such a ruckus. I'm honored to be selected for JET and look forward to being a part of it. All the coordinators have been so helpful and responsive. I'm grateful that all of you are here!

Thanks!!