Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Japanese to know upon arrival

Banned

Default Re: Japanese to know upon arrival

You both make compelling arguments that I'll take under serious consideration.

Nah come on, it is totally a form of oppression. Why do you think they drill it into their kids every day at their schools which are run like the goddamn military?

Quote Originally Posted by CUPS View Post
    I'm not sorry for leaving before anyone. I've done my work, I've got paid for it and now I'm going home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    So is potentially making your coworkers think you're rude and considerate worth making zero change to the social structure you claim to be rebelling against?
    I'm not an authority, but...

Cookie-cutter phrases shouldn't always be taken literally, and they're kind of important in Japanese culture. In my view, when you say OSAKI NI SITUREI SIMASU, you're not really giving someone a heartfelt apology that they're going to accept and be like, "Well, he's nice about it at least." It's just what you say when you leave. They know you don't have to stay as late as they do. They know you don't feel bad about going home, especially when your work is done.

They might think you're rude for not saying it anyway. Choosing not to assimilate is your own prerogative, but purposely avoiding common courtesies, simply because you're not Japanese, is kind of how foreigners get the reputation of being discourteous in the first place.

I would feel weird about saying the literal English translation of some of the things I say in Japanese (and vice versa), but is refusing on that principle worth looking like a jerk or a tight-ass? Not to me.

Also, imagine a forum full of Japanese people debating over whether, while working in America, you should actually inquire about your superior's weekend, and if it's rude to say "How are you this morning?" instead of "Good morning."

Just say what other people say, and mix in your own personality with it.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; April 13th, 2015 at 15:14.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    Also, imagine a forum full of Japanese people debating over whether, while working in America, you should actually inquire about your superior's weekend, and if it's rude to say "How are you this morning?" instead of "Good morning."
    This is actually the kind of thing people would obsess over in Japan though...

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    This is actually the kind of thing people would obsess over in Japan though...
    Haha yeah, and apparently we do it too.
    車庫 B1F

This whole debate kinda reminds me of some common courtesy stuff we say in America. I feel like a lot of our polite anecdotes come in the form of commands, so maybe that's a thing Japanese people might find a little offputting since commands without a polite modifier sounds really abrasive in professional situations? But we don't mean anything 'rude' by it in our culture. Like someone was saying 'have a good day/night', obviously isn't something we're trying to command anyone to do, just being polite. Or like 'feel better!' Idk that kinda stuff. It probably goes both ways. There are always expressions that don't really translate cross-culturally (or when you reaaally think about it in the native language...).

I mean if you wanna talk about drilling things into kids heads, we've got the Pledge of Allegiance here in Amurrca... talk about brainwashing for the sake of nationalism lol.

The Pledge of Allegiance. Do they still require kids to do that?
    I did all through elementary school. Thinking about it, it does seem a bit....brain-washy.
    People get all up in arms about "God" in it, but to be honest, saying the Pledge of Allegiance to me is equal to singing choral music where the main subject is the high heavens, lol.

I know they still do it every morning, but I'm thinking they're a lot less strict with it than when we were kids. Like when I was 12 was when it was officially 'ok' to substitute 'God' for something else. Then in high school, kids would sit it out. I remember I'd stand up but wouldn't say it lol.

Yeah but the difference between choral music and the Pledge is you elect to be in choir... the Pledge is pretty much imposed on literally every student and required to be taught at a very young age where you don't even know what you're even 'pledging your allegiance' to haha.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

"The land of Borinquen
    where I was born
    is a flowery garden
    of magical beauty."

Oops wrong anthem.

I mean

"O say can
    you see by
    the dawn's
    early light,"

C'mon Zol that's not the pledge, that's the anthem... where's your Amurrcan patriotism? the pledge is what all the American kids have to stand up and say every morning at school when the bell rings.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
    And to republic, for which it stands
    One nation, under God
    Indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all

It's basically like a cult chant when I think about it haha, how creepy...

who else used to say "I pledge of allegiance" when they were a kid? :P

Yeah... I don't remember having to do that.

I wasn't part of the cult.

Cuz you're not a state, you're a territory lol. Isn't that still kinda exclusion? Come on, US. Liberty and Justice for ALL except for Puerto Rico? I mean I guess you narrowly escaped brainwashing at least.

Can't take anything you say seriously.

Your avatar is just too adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    Liberty and Justice for ALL except for Puerto Rico?
    And women. And black people. And minorities. And muslims. And ....

YAY! I still get liberty and justice!

Banned

Courtesies in English are largely in the subjunctive. While you could interpret them as being soft demands, it makes much more sense within the language to read them as a desire instead. "I hope you will have a good day" rather than "have a good day, or else..."

The pledge is an awful remnant of nationalism and imperialism, and the only thing worse than it is the fact that nobody recognizes it as such. No other country that I know of that would even purport to have a free society has anything like it.

ITT: Self hating Americans

Banned

O, yes,
    I say it plain,
    America never was America to me,
    And yet I swear this oath—
    America will be!

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Can't take anything you say seriously.

Your avatar is just too adorable.
    I'm with you on this one.

I think knowing greetings would be definitely a plus. Also directions and understanding directions. How to ask where the bathroom is, where something is. That might be helpful.

Colours, numbers, dates and months. How to say year perhaps? I don't know how that might be helpful.

Updated: Also! I just remembered that honorifics are a good thing to know: what each means and when it's appropriate to use each.
    Last edited by x_stei; April 21st, 2015 at 00:14.

Actually you can get pretty far just by going "mmmm soukka" in response to people talking to you.