Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67

Thread: For the rejected.

  1. #1

    Default For the rejected.

    So now that people have started hearing the bad news, what are people planning on doing?


    I'm torn at the moment, I want to dive fulheartedly into preparing for applyin for the next cycle, but not sure if it's the right thing to do. The reason why I picked JET was because I would be bringing my Wife over, and with no guarantee of her being able to get a job, the extra money would have been appreciated. But now perhaps it would be better to work a year and save up more money while applying to alternatives such as interac?
    There's also the question on wether it's worth spending what will be around 2 years of my life sinking time and money into applying for a job that I only want to spend a year at anyway.
    I'd appreciate thoughts and opinions from others with similar experiences.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    I'm going to take the year to save up and apply again next year. Interac seems a good alternative but the money looks to me like it has a big impact. They offer lower wages, no house subsidies and you have to pay for the flight. Not to mention the half pay or whatever you get over holidays. Might want to ask some actual Interacers though, I'm just speculating at the money troubles

    I think the main thing is making it not be a wasted year but actually make something out of it

  3. #3

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    Hey. Firstly, I couldn't stop crying. Now that's coming sporadically. But the anger is coming now.
    I'm in a similar position to as I was taking my husband with me.
    I won't be waiting to apply again. I graduated last year and CANNOT wait another year to go through it all again, for something with no guarantees. I did apply to Interac back end of last year but decided not to interview as they pay less and, you have reduced income during holiday periods. Not enough for 2 of us to live off.
    I also applied to another company (I think it was Saxoncourt) and they wouldn't even entertain me cause I had a dependent (even though we could sort the visa out ourselves), then proceeded to try and put us off Japan in a not so nice way.
    Not a clue what to do now. Going to look at other jobs but they just don't pay as well and/or have problems with dependents (AEON say on their website that their accommodation is single occupancy only and you have to take their accommodation.

  4. #4

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    Thanks for the information about dependants with other companies,I hadn't even started looking at that stuff yet. Looks like JET is definitely the best way to do it, just wether I can deal with waiting the year and disrupting my life a bit more. :/

  5. #5

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    That's why we decided to stick around and apply for JET. It's the best option if you have dependents. I'm curious to know if anyone actually got shortlisted with dependents???

  6. #6
    Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    Quote Originally Posted by Halebob View Post
    That's why we decided to stick around and apply for JET. It's the best option if you have dependents. I'm curious to know if anyone actually got shortlisted with dependents???
    I shortlisted a great applicant who is being accompanied by his wife and 2 kids. I am sure there are others from different consulates as well.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    I'm going to be looking at INTERAC, AEON, ECC, and possibly some other East Asian countries such as Vietnam or South Korea. I graduate in July, and I'm dead set on getting out of the UK this summer as I can't stand to live here anymore! I need to get out and see some of the world. So yeah, this is the end of pursuing the JET dream, it was a path that unfortunately led to a dead end, so it's time to try out the others.

  8. #8

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    Check out a website called Glassdoor. It has reviews of lots of companies and, if I remember rightly, ECC didn't fare very well.

    Edit - I just checked glassdoor and ECC has 4/5. Must be a different company I looked at. But good website.
    Last edited by Halebob; April 2nd, 2015 at 22:35.

  9. #9

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    Quote Originally Posted by Halebob View Post
    That's why we decided to stick around and apply for JET. It's the best option if you have dependents. I'm curious to know if anyone actually got shortlisted with dependents???
    I got shortlisted and my wife will go with me. She is Japanese though which i guess is much easier. If we live in a very rural area she might not work though.

  10. #10

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    Sorry to hear this guys. ECC was my backup - I interviewed/was hired on and they had a lot of accomodation options. My little experience with them was very good and I know someone who is working for them now who absolutely loves it. I believe you can also opt to find your own accomodation, and I want to say they were pretty open to dependents. Good luck!

  11. #11

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    Sorry to hear this guys. ECC was my backup - I interviewed/was hired on and they had a lot of accomodation options. My little experience with them was very good and I know someone who is working for them now who absolutely loves it. I believe you can also opt to find your own accomodation, and I want to say they were pretty open to dependents. Good luck!
    That's good to know. Thanks.

  12. #12

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    Quote Originally Posted by lewis90 View Post
    I'm going to take the year to save up and apply again next year. Interac seems a good alternative but the money looks to me like it has a big impact. They offer lower wages, no house subsidies and you have to pay for the flight. Not to mention the half pay or whatever you get over holidays. Might want to ask some actual Interacers though, I'm just speculating at the money troubles

    I think the main thing is making it not be a wasted year but actually make something out of it
    The wages aren't far off anymore. Not all JETs get a housing subsidy. Those interac employees may not get paid on breaks, but they don't work in that time either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  13. #13
    Senior Member ambrosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Minnesota->Mie
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    Quote Originally Posted by harvetron View Post
    I'm going to be looking at INTERAC, AEON, ECC, and possibly some other East Asian countries such as Vietnam or South Korea. I graduate in July, and I'm dead set on getting out of the UK this summer as I can't stand to live here anymore! I need to get out and see some of the world. So yeah, this is the end of pursuing the JET dream, it was a path that unfortunately led to a dead end, so it's time to try out the others.
    I have a friend who just started with AEON last November. She likes the work-style better than when she was an ALT on JET (you're the sole teacher for your classes and the age groups vary significantly), but the hours are kind of crappy if you like to go out and do things a ton, and their contracted LeoPalace apartments are tiny boxes.
    I call my friend's apartment "Final Hallway."
    Either way she's enjoying her time. If it's just you (no dependents), check out AEON.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    6

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    Cheers buddy. Yeah it's just me, I'll do a lot of research on the other organisations and hopefully I'll get further. Thanks again for a bit of insight!

  15. #15

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    Guess this is a good place to vent.

    Well, I didn't get in. Just flat out rejected. I don't know what's worse, the fact that I can't figure out why, or the fact that this is so in-line with my normal luck that I wasn't even surprised. I'm just confused. Confused as to what I lack that everyone else apparently has. Confused as to what I could have done differently.

    It's an awful feeling. It gets even worse when I start thinking about it more. The odds were so stacked in favour of being accepted. After the interview you have like a 50/50 chance, odds that are rumoured to be even better because of recent changes in Japan. And I still didn't get in.

    I don't see how I could have improved on my application. My interview was by no means perfect, but no ones ever is, and the whole time I was smiling and got them to laugh. The only things I can see that would hold me back is my lack of a full licence and maybe the TEFLO thing, but if that was the case I shouldn't have even made it to the interview stage.

    In fact, I could handle the rejection easier if I didn't get to the interview stage. At least then you can assure yourself that it's not you, it's just some sort of qualification that you lack. But nope. It's me. I went to the interview, they saw me, spoke with me, and determine that I'm not fit to go. Not even a maybe. They're so sure that I'm not a good fit, that I landed in the bottom like, 25% of interviewees. The same group of people who went there unprepared, or missed documents, or we're clearly unfit to go.

    Yep, we all suck. We're all that bad. Not that we weren't good enough to make it, but that we were so bad they flat out refused to give us the chance.

    And then I see everyone else getting accepted. I can understand you're happy, but it's so soul-crushing to see people god "OMG I got in! I thought I did so terrible". To see everyone else progressing and having good things happen to them, and to just sit here and be like "great, good for you".

    But, like I said, that's just my luck it seems. I wanted to believe I'd make it, and a part of me really did think I had a chance, but another part in the back of head knew it was just a pipedream. Just something to grab at and inevitably fall short of. This was the test to see if I could actually do something, to see if I could accomplish something I really wanted to achieve.

    And I failed. Just as expected.

  16. #16

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    You hit the nail on the head, Mike. It's exactly how I feel.

  17. #17

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCarter View Post
    Guess this is a good place to vent.

    Well, I didn't get in. Just flat out rejected. I don't know what's worse, the fact that I can't figure out why, or the fact that this is so in-line with my normal luck that I wasn't even surprised. I'm just confused. Confused as to what I lack that everyone else apparently has. Confused as to what I could have done differently.

    It's an awful feeling. It gets even worse when I start thinking about it more. The odds were so stacked in favour of being accepted. After the interview you have like a 50/50 chance, odds that are rumoured to be even better because of recent changes in Japan. And I still didn't get in.

    I don't see how I could have improved on my application. My interview was by no means perfect, but no ones ever is, and the whole time I was smiling and got them to laugh. The only things I can see that would hold me back is my lack of a full licence and maybe the TEFLO thing, but if that was the case I shouldn't have even made it to the interview stage.

    In fact, I could handle the rejection easier if I didn't get to the interview stage. At least then you can assure yourself that it's not you, it's just some sort of qualification that you lack. But nope. It's me. I went to the interview, they saw me, spoke with me, and determine that I'm not fit to go. Not even a maybe. They're so sure that I'm not a good fit, that I landed in the bottom like, 25% of interviewees. The same group of people who went there unprepared, or missed documents, or we're clearly unfit to go.

    Yep, we all suck. We're all that bad. Not that we weren't good enough to make it, but that we were so bad they flat out refused to give us the chance.

    And then I see everyone else getting accepted. I can understand you're happy, but it's so soul-crushing to see people god "OMG I got in! I thought I did so terrible". To see everyone else progressing and having good things happen to them, and to just sit here and be like "great, good for you".

    But, like I said, that's just my luck it seems. I wanted to believe I'd make it, and a part of me really did think I had a chance, but another part in the back of head knew it was just a pipedream. Just something to grab at and inevitably fall short of. This was the test to see if I could actually do something, to see if I could accomplish something I really wanted to achieve.

    And I failed. Just as expected.

    Agreed Mike, though in the end I don't think it just comes down to luck...

    I can see where I failed in the interview, though in a way it shows that I am not suitable for the JET Programme.

    I was asked:

    -"You already have a TEFL, why JET? Why don't you just go and find some job independently? And I struggled in all honesty. I have found and could find something else quite easily without relying on the comfort of the government programme. JET in a way is too inflexible for me in that I can't choose the destination and the contract states a year (so I can't just decide to move on if I dislike my situation after a few months). My honest answer to this would have been "well, because you are paying for my flight tickets", but I thought this wouldn't really be the desired answer, so opted for the vague "I like the support JET offers".

    -"You say you like travelling. With JET you would have to stay at the school most weekends. Would this bother you?" I said "No" but secretly thought yes. I bet my faced revealed the truth.

    In addition, I was quite nervous (like many applicants) and stumbled on the first few questions and gave some silly answers.


    When it boils down to it, my heart was not really in this. I applied because I love the Japanese language, but having visited Japan I was wary of returning as a resident. I have applied for other jobs in Asian countries with which I feel more affinity and my gut feeling was telling me to choose these alternatives. Upon hearing I was rejected I was in a strange way relieved. Sure, I would have liked to have been accepted so I could reject the offer myself to massage my own ego, but in the end all is well.

    I am sure many rejects would have made good, if not better teachers than many of those who have been accepted. Interviews can be deceptive, fantastic candidates can be reduced to stammering idiots due to anxiety/a bad day and good actors can squeeze through the rings of fire untarnished. Don't give up hope, JET rejects. JET is not your only gateway to Japan, nor are the other competetive agencies. Get a TEFL, head out there and find your own way. Choose your location, your hours, your school.

    There may be something as exciting, if not more exciting waiting for you all around the corner

  18. #18
    Member nostos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    92

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    Quote Originally Posted by abscondita View Post

    -"You say you like travelling. With JET you would have to stay at the school most weekends. Would this bother you?" I said "No" but secretly thought yes. I bet my faced revealed the truth.
    I guess this is another ESID thing? Because I am almost never at school on the weekends (like, maybe 4 times a year, if that) and I know that tons of other JETs in my prefecture are constantly going places on weekends/holidays/long weekends. Seriously, I have so much free time to travel its ridiculous.

  19. #19

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    Quote Originally Posted by nostos View Post
    I guess this is another ESID thing? Because I am almost never at school on the weekends (like, maybe 4 times a year, if that) and I know that tons of other JETs in my prefecture are constantly going places on weekends/holidays/long weekends. Seriously, I have so much free time to travel its ridiculous.
    It's not ESID- very few ALTs have to be at school on the weekend. That's a bizarre question for the interviewer to ask.

  20. #20

    Default Re: For the rejected.

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCarter View Post
    It's an awful feeling. It gets even worse when I start thinking about it more. The odds were so stacked in favour of being accepted. After the interview you have like a 50/50 chance, odds that are rumoured to be even better because of recent changes in Japan. And I still didn't get in.

    I don't see how I could have improved on my application. My interview was by no means perfect, but no ones ever is, and the whole time I was smiling and got them to laugh. The only things I can see that would hold me back is my lack of a full licence and maybe the TEFLO thing, but if that was the case I shouldn't have even made it to the interview stage.

    In fact, I could handle the rejection easier if I didn't get to the interview stage. At least then you can assure yourself that it's not you, it's just some sort of qualification that you lack. But nope. It's me. I went to the interview, they saw me, spoke with me, and determine that I'm not fit to go. Not even a maybe. They're so sure that I'm not a good fit, that I landed in the bottom like, 25% of interviewees. The same group of people who went there unprepared, or missed documents, or we're clearly unfit to go.
    I just want to make something clear. It's not the people who interview you who accept or reject you. They have a sheet that they fill out (I'm assuming) and they send it over to Japan for review, which is why it takes so f-ing long. You could have had a perfect interview, but if the people on the Japan side saw something that they didn't think meshed with their style very easily they might have rejected you. It may seem like a magic hat trick, where they just pull shortlisters out of this air, but there is a process.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •