Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: After the Excitement

Default After the Excitement

I am a short-listed JET ALT from Canada. Congratulations to everyone regardless of status. It's been one heck of a ride and that was just the application process! I am so happy and psyched to be a short-list candidate but after the excitement and the realization of the results sinks in, what are your thoughts right now? Me, I am excited and scared at the same time. I can't wrap my head around the fact that I was short-listed because I never expected it.

Default Re: After the Excitement

For me, it's not so much the being accepted. It's everything before departing that is worrying me. I live alone, I'm on a lease that I have to break in order to go on the program. I've also got stuff that I'm not gonna bother storing since like most students I bought everything used. I'm starting to downsize everything starting with each room. It's going to be a slow process. I think everything else JET Related, at least now, is just going to be a paper train. That's monotonous but, at least to me, not stressing at all.

For about an hour after I was told the good news all I could do was smile. However, reality has started to come back to me in the past week. In my personal situation, I have a well paying job which could last for the next forty years or so if I wanted. But, as i mentioned in my interview, if I don't accept my placement on the JET program I will kick myself. So now starts the internal battle of determining if I continue my career path in IT or take a year or more to have the adventure of a lifetime in Japan.

Has as anyone else had doubts about leaving a really good job to have an adventure in Japan?
    2014 DC alternate
    2015 DC shortlist

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alternate View Post
    Has as anyone else had doubts about leaving a really good job to have an adventure in Japan?
    Why not both?

If your Japanese is good enough, I'm sure you could apply for an IT job. Or see if there's a branch of your company in Japan that you could transfer to, even if only temporarily.

After the 'I'm in excitement' comes the 'Where is my placement' anxiety. Just make sure you get everything in as far as paperwork goes.

My apartment is looking smaller and smaller now that there's a possibility my fiance may be moving in. We will see what his placement brings. If he gets Hokkaido or Aomori, I'm peacing out of here next year.

Yeah fortunately right now my only anxiety is placement... super ready for all this waiting to be over. I just graduated last year and I'm living at home, so I've really got nothing to lose. My full-time job is basically a recent college grad position with super high turnover, so honestly... I think my supervisors are more than okay with seeing me leave since it means they don't have to give me a raise lol.

Ps, concerning the IRS tax exemption form... I just filed my taxes this week, and I owed money to the state that has been processed, but haven't gotten my government tax return yet. Can I still apply, or do I have to wait until my taxes are 100% dealt with. I can't figure out if it just needs them to be filed, or totally processed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    Ps, concerning the IRS tax exemption form... I just filed my taxes this week, and I owed money to the state that has been processed, but haven't gotten my government tax return yet. Can I still apply, or do I have to wait until my taxes are 100% dealt with. I can't figure out if it just needs them to be filed, or totally processed.
    What? You're not applying for an exemption for 2014 taxes; you'd be filing that for 2015. The only thing you need now is the paper that shows you'll be out of the country for the next x years. That shouldn't be contingent upon your current taxes being paid.

For about an hour after I was told the good news all I could do was smile. However, reality has started to come back to me in the past week. In my personal situation, I have a well paying job which could last for the next forty years or so if I wanted. But, as i mentioned in my interview, if I don't accept my placement on the JET program I will kick myself. So now starts the internal battle of determining if I continue my career path in IT or take a year or more to have the adventure of a lifetime in Japan.

None. I have the stereotypical good paying job with benefits. It's stressful as hell, but offers a nice career ladder for the dedicated worker. But my future is in entrepreneurship, so leaving behind my current job for a lesser paying gig is no concern to me. Besides, there are things I can get out of working in Japan that will help me grow as an entrepreneur that I just can't get from a traditional 9-5. And like you, I recognize that working in Japan is, for most people, a once in a lifetime opportunity. I can always get another well paying, 9-5 job. However, I will likely never get another opportunity like the JET Program again.
    Last edited by Fantasylife; April 6th, 2015 at 10:49.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    What? You're not applying for an exemption for 2014 taxes; you'd be filing that for 2015. The only thing you need now is the paper that shows you'll be out of the country for the next x years. That shouldn't be contingent upon your current taxes being paid.
    Oh no I know. It just says before you do the tax exemption form that your taxes need to have been completed for 2014 in order for them to be able to process the tax exemption. Wondering if it means just filed, or if it means I need to have already paid back the money I owe/received the money they owe me. I wanna get started on it ASAP, but I haven't gotten the tax return yet, just paid the money I owed.

From what I recall you have to file your taxes, get that information and then have the form for exemption filled out and sent to the IRS. All you have to do is bring the piece of paper they mail back to you to Japan and your office will usually settle the rest for you.

So, get everything filed, fill out the paperwork and you should be good.

Hi Alternate!

I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was an alternate myself in 2014. I remember last year thinking that the only career option I had going on for me was JET. Since I was never called back, looked at other avenues to continue my passions to work with internationals youths. Eventually found a job working with such students all day. It's a well paying part time position on a great track, with co-workers I love working with. When I found out I was accepted this year I was initially happy that was accepted, but was sad with the things I would leave behind. (Versus last year with nothing to lose)

I've made fabulous mentors within my field I want to go into. One person says I should take this opportunity while I'm young. Another says I should look at better opportunities because of my background. Another says I shouldn't give up my standing I've built myself in America.

Currently assigned myself a self reflecting task in taking a honest closer look at my hopes, dreams, and things that make me happy in order to make my final decision.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    Oh no I know. It just says before you do the tax exemption form that your taxes need to have been completed for 2014 in order for them to be able to process the tax exemption. Wondering if it means just filed, or if it means I need to have already paid back the money I owe/received the money they owe me. I wanna get started on it ASAP, but I haven't gotten the tax return yet, just paid the money I owed.
    Oh, I see. I don't remember the process exactly, but filing your taxes really should be sufficient, not paying or refunding. At worst they would just hold on to it until everything is settled.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    Oh, I see. I don't remember the process exactly, but filing your taxes really should be sufficient, not paying or refunding. At worst they would just hold on to it until everything is settled.
    True. It says filed on the instructions for it, and my status is filed, sooo... I'll probably just get started on it tomorrow. Wanna get the ball rolling on that one for sure.

The next four months will be some of the best in your life if you do things right. Hang out with your uni mates, get ridiculously drunk and high (on life!), eat delicious meals, spend time with the family, go camping, watch movies, goof off, etc. Indulge in everything your home has to offer and only worry about your impending adventure as much as you absolutely have to. If you've been shortlisted, you've got it made for the next year at least. In the meantime, have as much fun as you possibly can (without getting arrested).

Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Totally agree with what word said. I had an awesome time before coming on JET.. then I got to Japan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I was very happy when I found out I was shortlisted, but now the ugly dragon of doubt inevitably crept up on me... I didn't think I would be this anxious about this decision; I hadn't even replied to the initial email telling me I've been shortlisted yet. For the longest time I had been so sure that I've wanted to do JET, but now that I'm actually here I am a little surprised by these thoughts. Just two days ago, I had realized that the pay for 1st year JETs is actually smaller than my part time job now. My job now is in my field but I am not happy with it, the rate of promotion is slower than the JET application process so staying at my current job wouldn't be beneficial. For some reason, I see JET as a sabbatical almost? I feel bad that I feel this way... Maybe I see JET as not only a job but as an experience and a journey? =/.

My family is another thing. My mother is happy and proud of me, but my dad has not voiced his opinion. It makes me sad that they might not support me on this because I've worked so hard during the application process.

Tax season is here too so I'll have to make sure I do everything right in that arena. Also perplexing is becoming an American citizen in the months between now and August, which I don't know if I want or not. =/.

I've got much to think about =/.
    Last edited by x_stei; April 7th, 2015 at 07:47.

What I'm not hearing is why you wanted to do JET in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by x_stei View Post
    I was very happy when I found out I was shortlisted, but now the ugly dragon of doubt inevitably crept up on me... I didn't think I would be this anxious about this decision; I hadn't even replied to the initial email telling me I've been shortlisted yet. For the longest time I had been so sure that I've wanted to do JET, but now that I'm actually here I am a little surprised by these thoughts. Just two days ago, I had realized that the pay for 1st year JETs is actually smaller than my part time job now. My job now is in my field but I am not happy with it, the rate of promotion is slower than the JET application process so staying at my current job wouldn't be beneficial. For some reason, I see JET as a sabbatical almost? I feel bad that I feel this way... Maybe I see JET as not only a job but as an experience and a journey? =/.

My family is another thing. My mother is happy and proud of me, but my dad has not voiced his opinion. It makes me sad that they might not support me on this because I've worked so hard during the application process.

Tax season is here too so I'll have to make sure I do everything right in that arena. Also perplexing is becoming an American citizen in the months between now and August, which I don't know if I want or not. =/.

I've got much to think about =/.
    If you're female think long and hard unless you have a micropenii fetish and are happy being spoken down to by middle-aged men with appalling table manners.

If you're a guy, get on the plane and get in amongst it. You'll be too busy knocking back booze and slamming top-notch skirt to give two hoots about a sensible job.

Quote Originally Posted by x_stei View Post
    For some reason, I see JET as a sabbatical almost?
    That's because it is. It's not a "real job" for most of the people who come here. A lot of people (speaking from experience) take it as a vacation from their life back home. For as long as I'm here I get to not think about what sort of job I want in the future, I don't have to engage in politics back home and I get a pretty good excuse to ignore a lot of other things.

That said, it's providing me with a lot of experiences, and a lot of perspective. I wouldn't say that my job in and of itself is challenging, but there are lots of things here that challenge me. It's very much a learning experience, and I'm very happy I was allowed this opportunity to come here.

But you have to weigh your options there, we can't tell you if staying in an okay-paying (long term) job with little upward mobility is worth giving up a different job that is okay-paying (short term) with little upward mobility in a foreign country. That's all up to you. I was just stepping into a real job when I came to Japan so it wasn't that difficult of a choice for me. But good luck in whatever you choose.