Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Japan and Phones

Default Re: Japan and Phones

I agree that the English keyboards are much better. Most of your work will be done in English anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

If you're good at typing it takes about two months to get the same type of memory typing on a Japanese keyboard as an English one and it is WAY more convenient for switching input modes because one button not two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Banned

No that's wrong. There's no natural way to adjust to that awful apostrophe.

For the record I had a Mac with a Japanese keyboard for 4 years and I liked it. The shift key was in a more sensible place, as was the caps lock button (as in, not right next to the a key) and switching was super easy. I also liked how the @ key didn't involve and spaces.

Now, when I'm at shisho using their ancient machine I can easily switch the layout in my muscle memory and continue on without a care.

Madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Without trying to sound like a complete imbecile, how does word-processing in Japan work? Does it form the kanji for you when you type in hiragana?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    Without trying to sound like a complete imbecile, how does word-processing in Japan work? Does it form the kanji for you when you type in hiragana?
    You type English letters to form Japanese kana, hit a key (usually the space bar) to change to kanji, and it gives you options from which you can select the right kanji. Why don't you get a head start by setting up your computer to do that now?
    Last edited by BifCarbet; May 2nd, 2015 at 09:59.
    車庫 B1F

I also prefer a Japanese keyboard. I'm totally used to the apostrophe's placement now so I'll accidentally hit the wrong key when I switch back to using my laptop that I brought over from the US. The only thing I don't like is that I'll occasionally hit a key that switches to Japanese input (or visa versa) when I don't intend to and it takes me a while to correct it. I should probably just disable the ones at the bottom that I never use. I mostly just stick to the input key in the top left-corner and the "F#" keys that automatically turn things into katakana, half-width hiragana, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    You type English letters to form Japanese kana, hit a key (usually the space bar) to change to kanji, and it gives you options from which you can select the right kanji. Why don't you get a head start by setting up your computer to do that now?
    how2

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    how2
    Here are the first two websites that popped up in Google with step-by-step directions:
    How to Type Japanese - Installing IME
    Install Japanese - Windows 7 Windows Vista

I think there are other IME programs available, but I just use the Microsoft one which is described in those guides.

ありがとう!

Quote Originally Posted by Frap View Post
    ありがとう!
    Mission accomplished?
    車庫 B1F

Mission accomplished?
    Yeah! It's very slick, I must say.

I went to Docomo today.
    I am going to get a 2GB data plan (1000 per extra 1GB, but I only went over 2 once in the last year) and a brand-new iphone 6 (64GB). I am giving them my iphone 5 (at an opportunity cost but it's so easy) for a 19,000 yen discount. With their "support" plan thing, the phone will cost me 90 yen per month for 24 months.
    Total bill will be about 7500 a month, but I will basically have a free upgrade from iphone 5 to iphone 6.
    車庫 B1F

I went to Docomo today.
    I am going to get a 2GB data plan (1000 per extra 1GB, but I only went over 2 once in the last year) and a brand-new iphone 6 (64GB). I am giving them my iphone 5 (at an opportunity cost but it's so easy) for a 19,000 yen discount. With their "support" plan thing, the phone will cost me 90 yen per month for 24 months.
    Total bill will be about 7500 a month, but I will basically have a free upgrade from iphone 5 to iphone 6.
    wait is this your iphone from your home country or a japanese one? i already have a deal at softbank for exactly the same price without trading in, but i wonder if i could get it a bit lower if i trade in my old phone?

I think they'll buy your phone. It's my phone from America. Docomo specifically does allow trade-ins of foreign unlocked phones.
    車庫 B1F

Bif, I thought the same exact thing - in America, I rarely ever got close to 2 GB of data a month and thought the same would be fine here. Now I wish I had gone with a higher amount of data and just paid per minute for my phone calls instead of doing the ~¥7000 calling plan with the 2 GB data. Almost no one calls my actual phone number (less than once a month really), and everyone calls/texts me through Line. Also, because there is really no "free" wifi here, I tend to use more data. I never realized how much I took advantage of those free wifi hotspots in America.

Food for thought, yo'.
    I came here to laugh at you.

I went to Docomo today.
    To echo wasabi, 2 gb ain't shit here. Especially in inakaville. Skip the talk plan entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

The only time I use the phone part of my phone is:
    When delivery people call me asking me where the fuck I am
    When school calls me and asks me where the fuck I am
    when I get lost and need to ask people to get me whereever the fuck I am.

Otherwise it NEVER gets used.

Data on the other hand... WOOO BOY. Thank god I'm on the old 7GB + throttling plan because I sooo moved like 16GB through my phone last billing period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.