Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Japan and Phones

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Default Re: Japan and Phones

Honestly speaking, how many people actually use their phone as a phone these days?

Beyond a specific number of contacts and the odd service call.

(And I mean anywhere, not just Japan)

When it's a cell phone, no one uses it for calling, it's all apps (Line, etc.). However, the phones in the office never.stop.ringing.
    I'm surprised my small BoE receives as many calls as it does. It's like a call center in here!

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Bif, I thought the same exact thing - in America, I rarely ever got close to 2 GB of data a month and thought the same would be fine here. Now I wish I had gone with a higher amount of data and just paid per minute for my phone calls instead of doing the ~¥7000 calling plan with the 2 GB data. Almost no one calls my actual phone number (less than once a month really), and everyone calls/texts me through Line. Also, because there is really no "free" wifi here, I tend to use more data. I never realized how much I took advantage of those free wifi hotspots in America.

Food for thought, yo'.
    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    To echo wasabi, 2 gb ain't shit here. Especially in inakaville. Skip the talk plan entirely.
    Thanks for the input y'all. I am paying 2700 for unlimited voice (which is the ONLY option). If I want the 90yen/month iphone, I have to use this company. I haven't ever really used wifi spots to be honest, and I will have wifi at home. I'm a laptop guy. I hate watching videos and reading articles on my phone. I basically just use LINE, tinder, and sudoku, though I guess with all the matches I got in Tokyo, tinder alone could put me over the top. giggidy
    I am going to start with 2 gig, pay 1000 extra for an additional 1G if I need it, then if I start going over 3, I will switch to the 5G plan, which they said I could do.
    I am just fired up about swtiching from iphone5 16G to iphone6 64G for 90yen/month.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; July 31st, 2015 at 18:10.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    I think they'll buy your phone. It's my phone from America. Docomo specifically does allow trade-ins of foreign unlocked phones.
    Ahh damn my phone won't be unlocked til December and I'm doing Softbank anyway. Does Softbank have a similar data plan? I'm going to 2gb/unlimited talk right now for like 7500/mo but if I can do the higher data plan/per min calls for the same price I'd rather do that.

Bif, does Docomo also take Androids for trade-in?

My current phone is a 5 year old HTC smartphone. I've been delaying an upgrade until I get to Japan. Even if they gave me 5000 for it, I'd be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by texxaport View Post
    Bif, does Docomo also take Androids for trade-in?

My current phone is a 5 year old HTC smartphone. I've been delaying an upgrade until I get to Japan. Even if they gave me 5000 for it, I'd be happy.
    Ly[ECxg : vO | NTThR

This is all I could find. These are Docomo Androids they accept. The only lists I saw that specifically said phones from overseas were for iPhones and iPads. I'm not sure if they take any other overseas items, but it might be worth a shot if you have one of the phones on this list.
    車庫 B1F

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Old andriods aren't of much value to them. Older iphone products are for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Old andriods aren't of much value to them. Older iphone products are for some reason.
    I would imagine it has to do with the IPhone having a set standard.

Androids have too many variations for them to have an accurate list of how much each is worth.
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; August 2nd, 2015 at 23:54.

I've heard that iPhones resell well in developing countries where most people can't afford new ones or perhaps there aren't any licensed venders. So maybe they ship them out for selling elsewhere?

There also seem to be a lot of shops that make good money refurbishing phones so I'm betting old phones might be good for parts.

But I honestly don't know if that's the case with Docomo.

If I can't get my iphone unlocked, would my pred be able to use it? At the very least, would it have value as a trade in for him?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

That used to be the case. I actually assumed the contract of my friend because He was leaving after his 3rd year, and I had just finished my second and was planning to stay one more. We split the 2-year contract and nobody had to pay cancellation. I also got my very first smartphone.

You may still be able to do it. If not the contract assignment, at least the phone pass should be fine.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; August 3rd, 2015 at 06:55.
    車庫 B1F

trade in value? absolutely

useable, if they go with the same company you did. But it's a pain to set up the phone.

And your phone isn't getting unlocked.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

trade in value? absolutely

useable, if they go with the same company you did. But it's a pain to set up the phone.

And your phone isn't getting unlocked.
    Thanks, I figured as much.

My apartment still smells a bit like cigarettes, so the least I can do is leave him with a few beers and the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    That used to be the case. I actually assumed the contract of my friend because He was leaving after his 3rd year, and I had just finished my second and was planning to stay one more. We split the 2-year contract and nobody had to pay cancellation. I also got my very first smartphone.

You may still be able to do it. If not the contract assignment, at least the phone pass should be fine.
    Okay. I wonder if he'll be interested. It's an iPhone 5, but a basically new iPhone 5.
    Last edited by johnny; August 3rd, 2015 at 12:44.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    If I can't get my iphone unlocked, would my pred be able to use it? At the very least, would it have value as a trade in for him?
    I wanted to use my predecessors phone but SoftBank claimed the phone was too old for them to find a SIM card for it, so I bought the chepeast android smartphone they had. It's a surprisingly good phone, albeit with a few quirks. I'm on a 2-year plan and hope my successor will want the phone. My mindset was originally to do two years here but yadda yadda yadda that's likely a no.
    The only time I use the phone part of my phone is:
    When delivery people call me asking me where the fuck I am
    When school calls me and asks me where the fuck I am
    when I get lost and need to ask people to get me whereever the fuck I am.

Otherwise it NEVER gets used.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasylife View Post
    My mindset was originally to do two years here but yadda yadda yadda that's likely a no.
    Wait, why?

If I want to use my unlocked iPhone 6S, can I? How much of a hassle will it be? Apparently, it works with all of the bands for LTE in Japan, and is much more internationally friendly than its predecessor..

If you can get signed up at a decent sized yodobashi camera or similar electronics store probably no problem (also assuming you have an international credit card).

In the sticks? Less like and more hassle. These will be with mvno providers, not the major carriers directly, so your coverage will vary.

Yeah, it really depends where you are. Someone here got a sim plan for their unlocked phone at a Docomo, no credit card needed at all. Softbank and au were no's. I'd try them first, especially if you're in a more urban area. But yeah, their service is 3G instead of 4G and they had to test it out a bit before Docomo would commit to make sure the phone was compatible. Wasn't too much of a pain though.

Deleted

Hi mate,

My advice. Bring that thing to Japan with you and just ask a JET in your area who has a local iPhone if you can just stick their sim in your phone. It will ask you to update carrier information and then you cross your fingers and pray to sweet jesus.

I brought over my iPhone 5c and went straight into a new plan with an iPhone 6 after reading that my phone wouldn't have been compatible. One night while I was curling up in my kotatsu (it gets bloody cold up here in Aomori) I stuck my sim into my Australian iPhone 5 and voila it worked, calls, text, data. WTF.

So yes, just bring your phone over and ask someone to help you test it out.

Cheers.

dont most people update their phones every 1-2 years anyway? iphone 7 will be out in september 2016. just pick up a pay as you go burner phone for a month when you arrive and get a subsidized 7 when it comes out from one of the major Japanese carriers?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.