Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drugs!

Default Drugs!

I'm wondering if anyone knows the stance is on Melatonin? I use it to sleep sometimes and definitely wanna pop a couple on the plane to knock me out... I can't find whether or not it's okay to bring it over for personal use, just that Japan doesn't permit selling it. Anyone know? I'd assume it's the same as advil, which I believe you can bring without having to file paperwork for it, if I'm not confused...?

Default Re: Drugs!

Oh god, bring that shit in with you. They have melatonin and stuff like that here (I'm talking about benadryl) but it's stupidly expensive. I had a period of time where I couldn't sleep well and got 12 benadryl pills for about 20 bucks. Hell no.

Like I said, bring yourself a big ol' bottle or two. Shouldn't have any problems bringing it into the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    Oh god, bring that shit in with you. They have melatonin and stuff like that here (I'm talking about benadryl) but it's stupidly expensive. I had a period of time where I couldn't sleep well and got 12 benadryl pills for about 20 bucks. Hell no.

Like I said, bring yourself a big ol' bottle or two. Shouldn't have any problems bringing it into the country.
    God no benedryl knocks me out like the freakin dead, so thank GOD. 2-3mg of melatonin is more than enough for a good sleep, I'm so sensitive to sleep supplements/medication. I would have been so disappointed if I couldn't bring it lol (or maybe resorted to too much wine...). Thanks, I will totally stock up.

Man, I:m so used to sleep aids now I've gotta take like two benadryl and wait 45 minutes before I feel anything. It's the mornings that kill me.

Also, how long have you taken melatonin? Do you take it regularly? What about in the summer?

Haha damn. I'd literally never wake up if I did that. Those benadryl hangovers are KILLER. I used to get them from melatonin too, because I recently realized I've been taking 10mg pills wtf? So now I cut one pill into 4s with a pill cutter. Usually I take it on Sundays to regulate my sleep cycle after a weekend where I've f'd it up by staying up til like 3 every day or something. But occasionally I'll just have a bad sleep cycle week, so then I might take it 2-4 times. It kinda depends. I know I'll need it once I get to Japan to get over my jetlag. And on the plane because I absolutely haaaate flying...

I guess I take it in the summer? Is that bad lol.
    Last edited by weepinbell; April 6th, 2015 at 11:29.

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    I guess I take it in the summer? Is that bad lol.
    It depends.

I have a rough time shutting my brain down, and before I took any sort of sleep aids it would take me about 1&1/2 hours from the time I close my eyes and get under the covers to actually fall asleep. Pretty bad. I started taking melatonin and that helped so much, but I took it every day. I think I started in the winter, which is why it snuck up on me. It's generally not recommended to take it daily because it can mess with your actual melatonin production. Sometime the summer hit and I kept taking it because I still couldn't sleep. Except I noticed I was getting snippy. And then one day my mom asked me to do something that I really didn't want to do and I absolutely snapped. Like, tantrum and thinking she hated me and I wanted to just SCREAM about how she would make me do x, why would she put y above my comfort. It was pretty bad.

Anyway, I'm lucky because I'm a (sort of) logical thinker and I realized this wasn't normal behavior. Turns out taking melatonin for an extended period of time in the summer particularly can cause symptoms of depression because it tricks your mind into thinking it's winter (it has to do with when your body produces melatonin, which is when it's dark out). And if you combine that with SAD, you are basically asking for a trip to the hospital.

So, yeah, I don't recommend taking it like that. With the added stress of moving to Japan it could turn ugly.
    Last edited by Ananasboat; April 6th, 2015 at 11:42.

Oh damn! Yeah definitely something that's good to know. I've been taking it for like 2 years with no problems, but again, I don't take it regularly... good thing, because clearly that's something I want to avoid...

Banned

Melatonin does nothing for me but give me dry mouth. Ambien is the only thing that works for me. If anyone is dissatisfied with OTC sleep aids and want something for the plane ride, mention it to your doctor at your health review and they'll probably give you a weeks prescription or something. Actually, if you live in America, just tell them you have insomnia and want a big bottle of the stuff and they'll probably give it to you. It's the age of prescription medicine after all.

Why does anyone need anything other than alcohol to sleep?

Melatonin works quite well for me. Be careful with prescription meds as you don't wanna end up like that duck-face bimbo who got tossed in the clink for smuggling meth/Adderall over.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Melatonin just gives me vivid bizarre nightmares.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Be careful with prescription meds as you don't wanna end up like that duck-face bimbo who got tossed in the clink for smuggling meth/Adderall over.
    Lol seriously though. I don't wanna mess with prescriptions anyway, that's the shit that gives me weird dreams. Anything other than melatonin, it's seriously like elephant tranquilizer for me, and sometimes it gives me sleep paralysis... not fun. So I'm gonna stick to melatonin.

Btw, on another note, I'm bringing birth control over, too. I called my insurance company about it, and they said they're allowed to give me a 3 month 'vacation' advance on it, once/year... anyone with an HMO deal with a similar problem and manage to find a loophole with it besides bringing a ton of samples? I'll probably keep bugging them to figure out a solution. Since this isn't technically a vacation, maybe I can pull some strings but my insurance is sorta tough to budge sometimes.

When I told my OB/GYN that I was going to be abroad for at least at year, she gave me a year's worth of birth control in sample form (free medicine, hollaaaa).

I literally just switched to my prescription to something I highly doubt has samples.... I don't wanna keep switching pills ahhhh!!! I guess I'll see if I like this one after a month or two and if I don't, try to go the sample route... I'm surprised my gyne didn't do the same thing, she just wrote me a year's prescription and said to see what my insurance does, but I bet if I call the office I might be able to swing some samples. My body is very finnicky with what BC is likes though, and I definitely don't wanna be on a hormonal rampage in another country lol.

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    I literally just switched to my prescription to something I highly doubt has samples.... I don't wanna keep switching pills ahhhh!!! I guess I'll see if I like this one after a month or two and if I don't, try to go the sample route... I'm surprised my gyne didn't do the same thing, she just wrote me a year's prescription and said to see what my insurance does, but I bet if I call the office I might be able to swing some samples. My body is very finnicky with what BC is likes though, and I definitely don't wanna be on a hormonal rampage in another country lol.
    I think it should be fairly simple to get samples (unless the BC you were given is so new on the market that they haven't made that option available). Hopefully they will also give you a year's supply in samples. But they may not...my OB/GYN's mother is a patient of my mother and she probably treated me extra well since my mother has done a lot for her. *shrugs*. Either way, explain your situation and cross your fingers! If you want to talk in more detail, feel free to send me a PM.

Lol I work at an obgyn, so I'm already planning on taking samples from here if all else fails. I just don't wanna switch my pill again to be honest, so I'm trying to see if this prescription advancement has any loopholes or samples of that one first.

lol whoops, I forgot you were one of the regulars who works in the medical administration field. Do y'all get drug reps to visit your office from time to time? Maybe you can talk to them about scoring some samples if insurance is being a pain in the butt.

No worries not like you should remember something like that. Haha oh all the time. I could probably get a doctor to agree to that if a rep came in with that medication, but my prescription is a seasonsale generic... I'm 90% sure samples for anything like it don't exist. I'm gonna call insurance again today, sometimes talking to another person helps. If not, I guess I will be changing my bc for the 3rd time in a year UGH.

The moment I go home for my vacation I'm going to see if I can get that BC implant. I hope the doctors don't look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that, but I bet if its really bad the doctors here can take it out. I just really do not want to have to deal with getting BC here, or mailing my prescriptions over because my mom is a flake.