Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doing JET with no teaching experience

Default Re: Doing JET with no teaching experience

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Going in with the attitude of "I can / will change lives" is quite possibly the worst, most patronising thing you can do as a JET.
    You know a lot of new teachers are discouraged when going in with this attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

I spoke no Czech while teaching in Czech Republic and some of my closest bonds were with my 1st graders with whom I could not communicate at all. My last day was rough.

I found creativity and flexibility to be key. The internet is a fantastic resource.

You know a lot of new teachers are discouraged when going in with this attitude.
    As a JET, you are there to teach English in a manner the children find enjoyable and beneficial. Nothing more.

The JETs determined to "make a difference" inevitably become the same JETs that cause irreparable damage to vulnerable Japanese children by hanging around orphanages at the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by JET ProgramCoordinator SF View Post
    For the newbies, this is sarcasm. Can confirm that the vast majority of JETs are professional and appropriately dressed. There's always the outlier, but by no means is that the standard.
    LOL sorry; I should really be more clear when I'm being sarcastic in Applying, just in case!

Yeah, most folks dress pretty appropriately for the job. For dudes, the ol' khakis and button-down/polo uniform seems to be the standard. For girls, it varies a bit more (I'm jealous) but most folks are pretty professional. I do have a couple of weirdos in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by JET ProgramCoordinator SF View Post
    Personally I prefer the "summer camp counselor" type over the "teacher" type for the JET Program. Because you are an Assistant, and not the main teacher, you're going to be using more people skills than teaching pedagogy. If you're asked to read off vocabulary words or do rote pronunciation practice with the kids, if you have a good attitude about it and see it as a chance to connect with the kids, it's not so bad. I always tried to do things to make them laugh or think of the class as fun, something that they're not dreading going to.
    word
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    Going in with the attitude of "I can / will change lives" is quite possibly the worst, most patronising thing you can do as a JET.
    I am not saying you're going give people all kinds of enlightenment from a condescending perspective, but what about helping a kid realize that they're not limited to being a sea cucumber catcher in their 1900-person village? I had a student who formed an attachment with me and asked me to help her study for a speech competition. She did well, and we started an English club. Then, she asked about a one-month exchange program in the spring to Australia, and I helped her for her interview. She came back and asked about studying abroad. She's been in Washington state for two years and she is engaged. She told me, "I never thought this was possible until I met you."
    Last edited by BifCarbet; April 10th, 2015 at 13:46.
    車庫 B1F

Yeah, if you're a new JET and your attitude is, "I'm here to change lives every day, and I will accept nothing less," then you're in for a hard time. But if your attitude is, "I'm not going to have any impact," then send in your reply form with a no, and let an alternate go in your place.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    Yeah, if you're a new JET and your attitude is, "I'm here to change lives every day, and I will accept nothing less," then you're in for a hard time. But if your attitude is, "I'm not going to have any impact," then send in your reply form with a no, and let an alternate go in your place.
    Absolutely. I was just comparing it to teaching in general, and the same could be said in that case. Young teachers are often bright eyes and expecting to make a huge impact in their student's lives.... and they probably will.

The let down for many is that they will never be able to see how their presence in that young person's life had an impact. It's usually subtle, and the ones that appear to be the furthest away from you are the ones you will end up changing (for better or worse.) That's why it is sad to me when teachers seem to "give up" on their most troublesome students. They are the ones that need a positive role model the most.

Camp counselor, teacher, parent.... whatever. It's all just semantics at some point. Maybe the rigidity of the teaching structure changes, but it is all the same. It takes a whole village and stuff.

Absolutely. I was just comparing it to teaching in general, and the same could be said in that case. Young teachers are often bright eyes and expecting to make a huge impact in their student's lives.... and they probably will.

The let down for many is that they will never be able to see how their presence in that young person's life had an impact. It's usually subtle, and the ones that appear to be the furthest away from you are the ones you will end up changing (for better or worse.) That's why it is sad to me when teachers seem to "give up" on their most troublesome students. They are the ones that need a positive role model the most.

Camp counselor, teacher, parent.... whatever. It's all just semantics at some point. Maybe the rigidity of the teaching structure changes, but it is all the same. It takes a whole village and stuff.
    Totally.

I'm pretty sure most people go through "This is stupid; I'm not doing anything." phases in their lives. It's a part of the deal. My general attitude in this whole forum is that it's not naive or stupid to have energy and enthusiasm. Enthusiasm may feed on naivety on some issues, but I would gladly pursue a few lost causes to maintain my grip on a purpose.
    車庫 B1F

I think you can make a gigantic impact on your students, but it will most likely not coming through anything you teach, really. Rather, it'll be through being friendly, positive and giving them a good image of 'gaikoku' such that they grow up to have an independent interest in learning English. The worst thing you can ever do to your students is to let your temper slip because they will forever associate the asshole teacher who yelled at them with "anything outside Japan."

My philosophy is if you can get them to like English enough to spend some time abroad, either on a trip or a school exchange program or anything, then you can very well be the spark that turns them into a fluent English speaker. But yeah, as others have said, if you go in thinking you're the main teacher and are going to change them from nothing to fluent in your time here, you will be sorely disappointed.

So, @ OP's main inquiry, no, you don't need any teaching experience. I've known many full-on teachers to come on JET and leave after a year, in fact, because they didn't realize how much they'd be on the sidelines. The more important thing is just to get kids to like you enough to go out an actually learn English on their own.
    www.thejetcoaster.com
    5th year | 2010 Toronto JET | Kagawa-ken
    thejetcoaster.com | youtube | instagram

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    I think you can make a gigantic impact on your students, but it will most likely not coming through anything you teach, really.
    WHAT?!?! What a load of horse hockey. Any teacher who says that just means they're shite at their job. It should be through what you teach that you create impact on a child's life.
    My philosophy is if you can get them to like English enough to spend some time abroad, either on a trip or a school exchange program or anything, then you can very well be the spark that turns them into a fluent English speaker. But yeah, as others have said, if you go in thinking you're the main teacher and are going to change them from nothing to fluent in your time here, you will be sorely disappointed.

So, @ OP's main inquiry, no, you don't need any teaching experience. I've known many full-on teachers to come on JET and leave after a year, in fact, because they didn't realize how much they'd be on the sidelines. The more important thing is just to get kids to like you enough to go out an actually learn English on their own.
    I agree you don't need teaching experience. I do disagree with going into class to make change, it can be amazingly effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    WHAT?!?! What a load of horse hockey. Any teacher who says that just means they're shite at their job. It should be through what you teach that you create impact on a child's life.
    Don't be shitty. I can't remember a thing that the teachers who had the most impact on my education taught me. Mostly because a lot of them were literature teachers who don't actually teach the subject so much as how to approach the subject. You're not changing anyone's life by telling them what a fucking gerund is. You might change someone's life by suggesting books to read that will facilitate different thinking. Of course, that's teaching too, but don't bust out the semantics when it's clear what he meant.

Cool cool; you guys are making some good points, but let's be sure to keep things civil in here! Applying and all...
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Banned

Sorry. I'm on Tapatalk and can't tell where I'm posting half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    You're not changing anyone's life by telling them what a fucking gerund is. You might change someone's life by suggesting books to read that will facilitate different thinking. Of course, that's teaching too, but don't bust out the semantics when it's clear what he meant.
    Yeah that's amazingly true. I have a few teachers that stick out in my mind, and not necessarily because of what they taught me in the classroom, but more their attitude and their attentiveness to me as a student and also as a really confused young adult trying to figure out what the hell to do with my life lol. It's more the support/confidence they had in me that really affected me in a positive way. I guess all you can do is really invest in your students and hope they get something out of it?