Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is the most "successful" JET alum you can think of?

Default Re: Who is the most "successful" JET alum you can think of?

Quote Originally Posted by naginataonthebrain View Post
    Saw this article posted on the Diplomat and thought it was interesting. The lady who wrote it also published research that included on where Americans JET alums are working (you can find it on page 30).
    I liked the article. Thanks.
    車庫 B1F

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalliea View Post
    What counts as successful?
    Rich?
    Famous?
    Achieved all of their goals?
    Built an empire?
    People want to be him/her?

Middle of Wheat field USA --> Middle of Rice field Japan-->Middle of Cornfield, USA

Ah. Than no, I can't think of any.
    Numbers and colors are my bread and butter

Banned

Azrael really should have parlayed his adoring crowd into an NHK job or something at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    Would I disappoint? No.
    that was beautiful
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    LOL MG and I could not believe that video when we saw it. The Peter Griffin drawing in the background makes it even better.
    This poster right here. That's my answer to the OP.

Also, I seem to have been pulled onto this forum by some kind of spacetime distortion. These posts I'm reading are from 2015. What's the future like? Here in 2008, I'm just wishing this school would get air conditioning. Someone just walked past my desk talking about the brand new plasma TVs. But no air conditioning? Really?
    Last edited by Wakatta; May 2nd, 2015 at 02:41.
    Quote Originally Posted by katsudon View Post
    Principal: 'genki no nai shapenaa'
    Me: *giggle*
    Principal (turns to me, says): Very old sharpener. I am not as old as that sharpener.

omg hi Wakatta! The future is great! Still no air conditioning, but they've introduced SUPER Cool Biz now. Oh, speaking of, make sure you aren't anywhere near Fukushima in March of 2011. I'd give you details but I can't imagine a gaijin predicting nuclear doom in the future is going to be very well-received by many Js, so just take my word for it.

And Wakatta is absolutely right. I am the most successful JET alum I can think of.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

And Wakatta is absolutely right. I am the most successful JET alum I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You think I'm joking, but I'm honestly not, really. When I think of all the JET alums I know, I can't think of anyone who actually seems happier than I am. Maybe one or two? There's a few who are comparable, I'm sure. Happiness is a big part of my definition of "success," and if I really sit down and try to think of people who are "more successful" in those terms....
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

You think I'm joking, but I'm honestly not, really. When I think of all the JET alums I know, I can't think of anyone who actually seems happier than I am. Maybe one or two? There's a few who are comparable, I'm sure. Happiness is a big part of my definition of "success," and if I really sit down and try to think of people who are "more successful" in those terms....
    I always thought you were still in JET, you did 5 years and then found another job teaching English?

Yeh I'm a direct-hire now. It didn't come with a raise but it's the sort of change in position that I can spin well on a résumé.

Is...

Is that you?

Haha, but really... was Gaston ever actually happy? I always thought he was kinda sad.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I gotta admit, I'm with word on this. Successful is a very relative term. My friend is likely successful as he's the third highest subscribed gaijin in japan channel on youtube? And he's not an alumn yet, however if you knew him in person he's just a right wreck. Then I look at my friends who live here long term, I would say they are successful within their own requirements for it. Nice life, they seem happy, very few problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    My friend is likely successful as he's the third highest subscribed gaijin in japan channel on youtube?
    How is that known?
    車庫 B1F

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Based on comparisons done manually, the japan youtube meet ups, and the metrics he's heard unofficially from youtube japan representatives?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Well, alright! Sold.
    車庫 B1F

omg hi Wakatta! The future is great! Still no air conditioning, but they've introduced SUPER Cool Biz now. Oh, speaking of, make sure you aren't anywhere near Fukushima in March of 2011. I'd give you details but I can't imagine a gaijin predicting nuclear doom in the future is going to be very well-received by many Js, so just take my word for it.

Does this mean I should blindly follow word's advice and aspire to one day get his autograph?

Quote Originally Posted by texxaport View Post
    Does this mean I should blindly follow word's advice and aspire to one day get his autograph?
    1. No.

2. Yes.

So you're saying I don't want your autograph then?