Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is the most "successful" JET alum you can think of?

Open the doors, Hoff. BambooTelegraph's Avatar

Default Re: Who is the most "successful" JET alum you can think of?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    I think quite of few of the diplomats working in the Canadian embassy in Tokyo are former jets.
    I'm pretty certain that's true.

Here is a guy to whom I've been listening recently and he's a successful former JET.

Michael Auslin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

I have successes.
    You see, gentlemen, a pimp's love is very different from a square's...
    (郷に入っては郷に従え.)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    You think I'm joking, but I'm honestly not, really. When I think of all the JET alums I know, I can't think of anyone who actually seems happier than I am. Maybe one or two? There's a few who are comparable, I'm sure. Happiness is a big part of my definition of "success," and if I really sit down and try to think of people who are "more successful" in those terms....
    Word, I agree wholeheartedly with your definition of success. I think way too many people measure success in terms that don't actually reflect on the merits of a well lived life. I too think happiness is a great measure of one's success in the world.

But I would challenge you to examine your preconceptions about your own happiness and that of others. Many times, we attribute false feelings of negativity on others who we don't fully understand because we are not privy to their thoughts and feelings. As tempting as it might be, sometime we have to take a step back and admit that are perceptions of the world and even ourselves don't always amount to a hill of beans! Often times people believe they are more happy than the person sitting next to them, because the other person has a frown on his face, unaware that he's deep in thought trying to think of the perfect anniversary present for his sweetheart. Or believe that they're the hungriest person in the room, because they don't know that the woman in line behind them hasn't eaten for three days, but is used to being hungry because she's poor. It's hard sometimes, but we have to realize that we view the world through a lens that is instinctively favorable to ourselves and unfavorable to those outside of our immediate concern. Please think on this and remember that we all have to share this planet for now, so it's in everyone's best interest to have a little empathy for others even when it challenges us.

Thanks!

Nice sig. Are you trying to tell us something Greyjoy?
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Greyjoy, I missed you.

Ah, but you're assuming that because I see myself as being happy, I am somehow projecting negative emotions onto others. Nothing could be farther from the truth; in fact, I'm blessed to be surrounded by what I perceive to be remarkably happy friends and acquaintances. I'm not sure why, to you, a person who perceives themselves to be extraordinarily happy must also be perceiving others to be unhappy. That seems to be a rather depressing way of looking at the world. However, given your consistently negative outlook upon... well, everything, I can't say I'm particularly surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    Often times people believe they are more happy than the person sitting next to them, because the other person has a frown on his face, unaware that he's deep in thought trying to think of the perfect anniversary present for his sweetheart. Or believe that...
    I wish everyone thought about this all the time. Good stuff, Theon.
    車庫 B1F

Seems like a weird thing to wish for. "I wish that everyone would just assume that the people around them are happy all the time, even if their physical characteristics/actions suggest otherwise." I dunno; maybe there's something to it? Maybe Sansa and Theon were actually happy at the end of that last episode? Maybe we all had it all wrong, and we're just "attribute false feelings of negativity" upon them.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

To be fair, Greyjoy just implied that you might be making incorrect inferences about people's happiness, not that you are. I think misreading people's feelings happens a lot. I do it all of the time and I think other people do it to me.

Outwardly happy people can often be unhappy and depressed while outwardly sad looking people can be quite happy with their lives, so I think it's easy enough to do.

I'm sure you know your friends though. I think that once you know people for a few years, you can get a better read of them.

Totally, Johnson. I said that I wished people thought about what Greyjoy said, not that others were happy or unhappy. Don't know where you got that, word.

I wish they thought that they might be wrong about what the others are thinking, and that other people are deeper than what you see.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; May 23rd, 2015 at 15:23.
    車庫 B1F

To be fair, Greyjoy just implied that you might be making incorrect inferences about people's happiness, not that you are. I think misreading people's feelings happens a lot. I do it all of the time and I think other people do it to me.
    Perhaps, but his intention was quite obvious.

Outwardly happy people can often be unhappy and depressed while outwardly sad looking people can be quite happy with their lives, so I think it's easy enough to do.
    See, but this is presenting a false dichotomy--simply because I am extraordinarily happy does not mean that I believe my friends are unhappy. It's a disingenuous sort of argument, I think. It's as if, for example, I'd said, "I drink more booze than anyone I know," and someone said, "Well, you might be assuming that your friends never drink." That's ridiculous, though; "lots of booze" and "no booze" aren't the only two choices, and--if anything--adding the "I know" qualifier is acknowledging the fact that I don't know everything about everyone. Perhaps it's just a semantic thing?

I'm sure you know your friends though. I think that once you know people for a few years, you can get a better read of them.
    I agree. I'm the sort of person who doesn't make friends easily, but the friendships that I do form are lifelong and deep, and I know my friends quite well (and vice versa).

Quote Originally Posted by BifCarbet View Post
    Totally, Johnson. I said that I wished people thought about what Greyjoy said, not that others were happy or unhappy. Don't know where you got that, word.
    Well, I got it because that's what he said. I said I was one of the happiest people I knew. He took that as me potentially implying that I incorrectly believe my friends are unhappy (ah, the phrase he used was "attribute false feelings of negativity on others"), when, in fact, nothing could be further from the truth.

I wish they thought that they might be wrong about what the others are thinking, and that other people are deeper than what you see.
    Part of my problem is that I'm actually remarkably good at knowing what people are thinking, and I don't always enjoy this fact much. Being an empathetic person is a decidedly double-edged sword.

Eh, I don't really know, either. I'm a lot happier now, though

I too am confused and have lost interest. Word does seem reasonably happy when he's not talking about fat people and anti-vaxxers though.

Word, I was not talking about you in any way. You put words in my mouth (giggidy).
    Last edited by BifCarbet; May 24th, 2015 at 00:47.
    車庫 B1F

Word, I was not talking about you in any way. You put words in my mouth (giggidy).
    Watch out boy or he'll try to put something else in your mouth.

Oh, I was confused, because you addressed me by name in your post.

Oh, I was confused, because you addressed me by name in your post.
    I wish everyone thought about this all the time. Good stuff, Theon.
    that one? That's the one I understood you to be criticizing.
    Last edited by BifCarbet; May 25th, 2015 at 09:11.
    車庫 B1F

No, this one:

I said that I wished people thought about what Greyjoy said, not that others were happy or unhappy. Don't know where you got that, word.
    To which I responded:

Well, I got it because that's what he said. I said I was one of the happiest people I knew. He took that as me potentially implying that I incorrectly believe my friends are unhappy (ah, the phrase he used was "attribute false feelings of negativity on others"), when, in fact, nothing could be further from the truth.
    And I stand by my criticism. I don't really understand why you guys are having such a hard time with this. The language I'm using isn't particularly difficult. Believing that one is an extraordinarily happy person does not inherently mean that one must believe that others around him are unhappy (or "attributing false feelings of negativity" to anyone).

I would argue further that greyjoy's assessment is a rather slippery slope. We shouldn't assume to fully understand the emotional state of those around us, but neither should we assume that we're completely incapable of empathizing with them or assessing their emotional state with some degree of accuracy, either, as he implies in his post. As johnny mentioned, I know my friends. I can only speak of the people I know; I can't speak of random ALTs I've never met or known, and wouldn't try. The OP asked about the most successful JET alum we could think of. I can't really "think of" people I don't know, because my definition of success requires that I know them. There could be some fabulously wealthy ex-JET out there with a fantastic job, a doting spouse, a loving family, and everything else, yet without knowing him/her well, I wouldn't want to make any sort of assumptions about her/his success. S/he might be horrifically depressed or otherwise unsatisfied somehow; life is much too complicated to define success by such shallow measures as material possessions or societal status.

Realistically, though, this whole discussion is pretty pointless. greyjoy was (yet again) just looking to get another dig at me; he's not actually arguing against anything I said here. Contrary to what you may have been told, there is nothing wrong with believing oneself to be happy--even extraordinarily happy.