Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EARTHQUAKES!!!

Default EARTHQUAKES!!!

I'm really only asking about this because I have a documentary on earthquakes in Japan on in the background so I'm curious haha. I'm so scared, I've never been in one! Are small ones pretty frequent, do you get used to them? Did you feel like you were gonna poop your pants the first time? I probably will....

Default Re: EARTHQUAKES!!!

When I studied abroad there was a very noticeable earthquake. But it happened at like 4 in the morning, and the only reason I noticed it was because my phone decided to scream me awake. Honestly would have slept right through it.

This time around I haven't noticed any either. I'm sure there have been a couple, and sometimes I'll feel something and not be able to decide if it was the world, or me being dizzy. So, hasn't really been a problem for me. I'm down in Kyushu, by the way.

Because I was curious I went and found this website. Should help to alleviate some of your worries.

http://earthquaketrack.com/r/western...u-japan/recent

I had a pretty large one a few months back. You could say I felt shaken.

Japan is going to have a lot of earth quakes, and that is out of your control. There are many small ones, but your actions and location dictate whether you'll feel them or not. Most of the time you won't.

Once you're used to them, they can be fun until every once per 5-10 years you get a ride that lasts a little longer than you'd like. Just make sure to acquaint yourself with earthquake and tsunami procedures in your location.

In my 20 months in Japan, I have felt one small earthquake. It happened at about 2:30 am. All it did was wake me up. I waited for about 20 seconds and it stopped.

The Jets I know up north seem to feel them more often though.

I have significant experience with earthquakes in Japan. Feel free to PM me if you're actually really worried. I will share some insight with anyone for whom earthquakes are a concern.
    車庫 B1F

I have a combined near 15 months in Japan, and I have never felt an earthquake (Kansai/Chugoku regions).
    I wonder if other prefectures do this? But my prefecture actually had a whole seminar on disaster/earthquake preparedness during our orientation.
    Last edited by nostos; April 12th, 2015 at 16:43.

Although not in Japan I have experienced a rather bad earthquake that made some old houses at the bottom of the hill fall down. It happened in the night and I just went back to sleep.

If nothing is collapsing around you they are not that scary I don't think. Obviously if stuff starts to fall then you will be scared.
    Last edited by haitch40; April 12th, 2015 at 20:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbill1 View Post
    Holy shi--, it's the happening. We've got to Friday until we're in the clear, then I will down a celebratory beer or two after work while balled up in the shower, which doesn't ever happen on a Friday after work.

Being from Texas, I'd never felt an earthquake in my life. The first one I felt made me excited, rather than scared--it was around five in the morning, shook my hanging lights, and I made it outside to see the telephone poles swaying gently, too.

I was also surprised at how weak it was. I didn't think that anyone in my town had woken up, but it turns out that almost everyone had. It wasn't huge; I think a 5-something. Enough to get everyone's attention... but I remember thinking that it wasn't any stronger than the wind from a Texas thunderstorm shaking the house.

I was here for the big one, too. I remember that the kids were all a lot more scared than I would have expected them to be. It lasted a lot longer than any of us expected, and I don't think any of us were prepared for the horrifying footage we'd see on TV later.

The vast majority of the quakes I've felt did little more than excite me. I've never had anything damaged severely in a quake. I've never known anyone who was hurt in a quake.

I'm also very glad that I live in the ultra-inaka every time there's a quake. I can't imagine a safer place to be if "the big one" hits. It's one of the reasons I'm so creeped out by large cities.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

I was in the north east when I first felt an earthquake. Honestly I thought I was going nuts when I saw I house sway- again thought I was being dizzy- then my dad was like "ANANASBOAT, IS THAT AN EARTHQUAKE?" And I was like, "...wait."

Then he went on twitter and told me it was. That was even before my earthquake in Japan. I thought it was cool before I had time to freak out.
    Last edited by Ananasboat; April 12th, 2015 at 21:33.

Word.

The first one you experience may be a bit of a thrill if you've never sat through an earthquake before.

I was here for the big one though. That was a scary several minutes. Once stuff started coming off the shelf, I nope'ed the eff out and dashed out of my apartment (even though its said to be safer to stay indoors, I wasn't thinking of that in the moment). There was a weird moment when it went from being "oh another one" to a brief flash of terror. The feeling was kind of like when you are riding on a plane and go through a bout of really intense turbulance - a sensation of things being beyond your sphere of control and all you can do is hope that it's going to be okay. Once I was outside, I remember looking at my apartment building swaying like a giant mass of jello and marvelling that it didn't come down. It was surreal. But now I trust the building a lot more. The next couple months as the aftershocks hit were pretty scary too, everyone was on edge for awhile wondering if there was going to be an even bigger one.

It's been awhile now since we've had a really memorable quake. It also feels like we've gone back to being a big complacent (I know I have). I should really go pack an emergency bag again, just in case.
    2010-2015 Toronto JET | Gunma-ken | thejetcoaster.com

How often do earthquakes happen in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87 View Post
    I should really go pack an emergency bag again, just in case.
    100%. My pred packed an emergency bag. Though I haven't had use of it yet I've not touched it. Bottle of water and instant curry packs an a few other necessities. You town or you supervisor may give you a list. If you don't have an emergency pack in your apartment, the best thing to do is prepare one.

Edit: Sometimes JP post will advertise a list of things. Just look at the list and go to the nearest komeri to find the right stuff. It's usually cheaper if you do the shopping yourself.
    Last edited by Ananasboat; April 12th, 2015 at 21:55.

Quote Originally Posted by haitch40 View Post
    How often do earthquakes happen in Japan?
    Every day.

Quakes that you can feel? Maybe every couple of months. Varies wildly.

Quakes big enough to rattle you? Maybe once every couple of years.

100%. My pred packed an emergency bag. Though I haven't had use of it yet I've not touched it. Bottle of water and instant curry packs an a few other necessities. You town or you supervisor may give you a list. If you don't have an emergency pack in your apartment, the best thing to do is prepare one.

Edit: Sometimes JP post will advertise a list of things. Just look at the list and go to the nearest komeri to find the right stuff. It's usually cheaper if you do the shopping yourself.
    word

MG and I still have an emergency kit, plus a larger kit for longer-term incidents. I actually used to be a lot more prepared--not quite "preppers" level, but in my old placement, MG and I could've gone a good month, easily, without outside support. I guess Apollo's right; I've gotten complacent lately. Probably be a good idea to break myself out of that habit.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

That reminds me. I need to get more water, just in case.

I also keep 15,000 yen in case of an earthquake.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Every day.

Quakes that you can feel? Maybe every couple of months. Varies wildly.

Quakes big enough to rattle you? Maybe once every couple of years.
    Why did people all those thousands of years ago decide this was a good spot to live?

Weirdly, it's easy to understand. MG and I have discussed this on occasion; if we had a time machine and were gonna go to some place and time in the past, ancient Japan wouldn't be a bad choice--most folks bathe regularly, the climate is reasonable, food isn't all that scarce, culture is isolated enough to offer a relative sort of peace.

Earthquakes really aren't that bad. Seriously--a Texas thunderstorm can do significantly more damage to a house than a mild or even reasonably strong quake. My mother would sh*t her pants if she were to feel a quake, but once you're accustomed to 'em, they're really rather laughably weak. Most of the dangers are the after-effects--tsunami and nuclear meltdowns and the like. The quake itself is generally pretty harmless, so long as the buildings are designed to take it.

This makes me feel a lot better, but I still think I'll shit my pants when I feel one for the first time haha. I guess midwest is a pretty rough place to live when tornado sirens go off like every other day during the spring/summer (I'm literally only like 30mi out of tornado alley range, so I guess I'm lucky...). Still storms are pretty bad here and do some damage reasonably often, so thinking about it with that in mind, I'll be ok.

I think it's more the POTENTIAL for it to be so devastating that's so freaky to me. Yeah tornadoes and storms can be bad and really really destructive, bad a 9.0 quake is just on a whole other level, rare as they are.

And that dolphin thing in Ibaraki is super eerie... let's hope there's no connection to the 2011 quake. Be safe, Tokyo-area people...